Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

WeighToGo

Realistic Expectations

Rate this Entry
I've been stalled for a good long while now. Not too sure how long, since I discovered the scale I'd been using was broken. It never gave the same reading each time, so I would weigh myself multiple times and go with an average. Imagine my disappointment when I got a new scale that said I weighed about 10 lbs. more than I thought, and then had it confirmed last week when I went to the doctor for an unrelated issue.

I realize my slow and stalled loss is very much my own fault. I knew intellectually that this procedure is just a tool, and that I needed to take charge of my diet and make positive, permanent changes. I realize now though, I had it in my head that because my portions were so limited, I thought I'd just keep losing weight regardless. I mean come on! I can't eat like a pig anymore right?

Cue reality check for Heather. My stomach may be smaller, but if I'm eating more than 3 times a day, I'm not going to make any progress. What? No exercise? Guess what, sister?! That's not going to help, either. Oh and that coffee addiction of yours? Quit fooling yourself that it's okay because you're using sugar-free creamer. So, now I have to make the changes I should have made 3 months ago. I take solace in the fact that' I'm roughly 40 lbs lighter than I was last May and my weight is not creeping up, but I didn't go through all this not to reach my goal weight.

In the interest of getting back into exercising on a regular basis, at the suggestion of a friend, today I'm going to start walking to my son's elementary school to pick him up. It's not far, only 1.5 miles round trip. I think it's a good start, and then hopefully as I go along and the weather begins to improve, we'll start walking to school in the morning, too. I do have a membership at our local YMCA, so I have that option as well. I'm thinking about some of the aqua aerobic classes. I have the whole body image issue going on... seriously, I'd work out in a hat and sunglasses if I didn't think it would make me stand out even more. Maybe in aqua aerobics I might not feel so bad since most of the participants are people older than me. Maybe.

Now onto the big issue. Convenience food. I can live without what most people think of when they think 'fast food'. When I think fast food, it's things that don't take a lot of time to prepare. Cup O' Noodles is my biggest enemy right now. I have told myself that it's the perfect portion size, I'm definitely not over-eating, it's not that bad, blah blah blah. Reality check again... it's 290 calories and almost all of them carbs. Oh yeah! It IS all carbs... you're right. Better eat a protein bar between each meal to make sure I get all my protein in! Protein bars? Another food demon for me. What could be greater than food I just have to unwrap and stick in my mouth?? You're beginning to see where I'm coming from, right?

I told myself that this week I'd go back to the liquid diet for awhile. Not the clear liquids (although that's probably a really good idea), but the protein drinks, creamy soups, etc. Me at 4am today: What? Did you say soup? Cup O' Noodles is soup! 10 minutes after eating... I realize omg I did it again.

Instead of noodle rehab, I'm going to reach for the few protein drinks I have on hand and some broth for the rest of the day. My husband just bought me a new box of protein bars. Maybeeee I'll allow myself one for dinner or something. Oh wait. I forgot. I've already had two. Clearly, I do not have my head where it should be today. But the day's not over yet, and it's not too late to begin, right?

So, what's the point of this pages long rant? I need help. I need suggestions from people who have battled similar demons and conquered them. I need to commiserate with other people fighting the same fight. Most of all, I need to get my fluffy butt back on track and goal oriented once again.

Submit "Realistic Expectations" to Digg Submit "Realistic Expectations" to del.icio.us Submit "Realistic Expectations" to StumbleUpon Submit "Realistic Expectations" to Google

Comments

Hi! I am sure you'll get plenty advise soon. I am a new post about a month, so unfortunately I can't give you any advise, just support!!

You'll get this! Perhaps speaking to someone professionally would help. I certainly would do this with no problem.

Keep us posted! Best wishes!
    You need to quit carbs cold turkey. Protein first, veggies next, carbs if there's room (and there shouldn't be) My nutritionist told me, ABSOLUTELY NO SNACKS. That's pretty clear, no wiggle room there. If you're hungry, drink 1/2 a protein shake.
    I am very fresh out with my sleeve. But have tons of experience with wls (lap-band). At this stage you've done everything right. Don't beat yourself up. But there are only a few things to keep in mind:

1) Protein, Protein, Protein - That will help you tremendously. Get protein bars, protein shakes, protein yogurt. You name it, make sure you have a variety to choose from in your kitchen.

2) Water, Water, Water - Make sure you drink a lot of water. What sometimes may feel like hunger is actually thirst. So keep yourself hydrated.

3) Move, Move, Move - Start the walking, get yourself a workout video from your local library, join a dance or yoga class at the Y...just keep moving.

4) Food prep...yes...this one might seem a little off, but make sure you clean your fridge and prepare your meals. Those quick noodles are not that great for you. They tend to be high in sodium, carbs, preservatives. So, preparing your meals ahead of time can help you make better choices. I don't think you need to be a slave to it. But just make sure you have at least 2 or 3 meals that are high in protein. Do you like chili? Tuna lettuce wraps? Prepare them ahead of time, so you're not tempted to grab the quick noodle.

Hope this helps. Great thing about this journey, is that you can readjust yourself. You can fix things as you go. And at some point you will find your own rhythm.

Best of luck!

Belle
    Are you still on medication? Depending on what you are taking it may be contributing to your stalls.

The food value in a cup of noodles is very little for the amount of calories you are eating. But you already know that. Sounds like you know what you need to do, so now you need to find out what's keeping you from achieving your health goals.

My recommendation is that you find a therapist that can help you with your eating and behavioral dysfunction, and work with a nutritionist who can provide guidance on your food choices.
    I had to go cold turkey on the bread/rice/pasta/potatoes. Even just a little has me jonesing for more more more! Same with sweets. I said I would have one cookie...what a lie I told myself.
    I bought a new scale and was mad it ways one pound higher than the old one. But the old one I had to slam many times with my foot to get it to actually work. (But I did want to return it to find one where I weighed less.)
    Yes, eating carbs can make you crave more and more carbs. I love carbs. Specifically breads. I just love them. But I know I have no self control with breads. So I don't even tempt myself by allowing myself them. I agree that some people need therapy to help them get their mind around the changes that need to be made. I follow the diet laid out by my surgeon's office. I did not go through all this to not be successful. I have also added exercise into the mix. I don't want to say the sleeve did not work for me. Because ultimately it works for everyone as long as they work it as a tool and not some magic bullet. I know you know what you need to do. I can see that in your post. I know you are also frustrated with yourself and beating yourself up each time you fail. Are there any bariatric support groups in your area you can join? Or even an overeaters anonymous or anything like that? Having somewhere that you have to go and weigh in to make yourself accountable to a group may be helpful and give you more motivation to stay on track. I know it would for me but we are all different. All I can do is offer suggestions. And like everyone on here says, protein first and then veggies. No snacking or grazing. Get rid of anything that is tempting to you. And drink your water however you like it. Good luck and reach out. We are all here to get each other through this.
    I tried Atkins protein bars lat week. Glad there were only 5 in the box. You called them demons. They are I just can't have any of that near me. Won't buy them again.
    Start tracking your food on MFP or Sparkpeople. Find a way to calculate your BMR online (activity/Weight/size) it's not completly accurate but it will give you a baseline.
    I had a scan ten days ago, my BMR is currently 1600 calories. Nut said to eat around 1200 calories per day, which is what I'm currently eating. Since I do work out a little each day my total expenditure is around 1800/1900. I should be losing weight, but I do have longs stalls right now. I know it will move at some point, I just need to be patient. All our friends gave you great advice here. I would just add to buy food you like an prepare your meal/snack in advance for the day that could help avoid junk food. I love tuna, almonds, hard boiled eggs ect. When I can I carry my snacks/lunch with me so I'm not tempted by what's around...good luck!
    I had my surgery in July and am now 21 pounds from goal. All of my medications that I was on made my weight loss very slow. I never believed I would make it this far but I did. My doctor put me on meat and veggies only from the minute I got off the liquid stage and I have done that religiously (With the exception of Christmas). Just kick the carbs out of your life for the time being. You get plenty from the veggies you eat. You will get them back but remember to be smart about it. Track your foods so you know exactly what your eating and how much. Good luck to you!!
    Very well said. And obviously, you're a smart person.

So now we get to find out if you can DO what you KNOW you need to DO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Are you still on medication? Depending on what you are taking it may be contributing to your stalls.

The food value in a cup of noodles is very little for the amount of calories you are eating. But you already know that. Sounds like you know what you need to do, so now you need to find out what's keeping you from achieving your health goals.

My recommendation is that you find a therapist that can help you with your eating and behavioral dysfunction, and work with a nutritionist who can provide guidance on your food choices.
    Thank you, Shirl. I contacted my doctor, since here I am almost a month since my blog and though I have cut out the simple carbs and added exercise to my daily routine, I'm still stuck at 233. (I am still on the medication... I have no choice about that, unfortunately). My doctor has referred me to their weight management program, and I think you are right... a visit to the psychologist may be in order.
    Thank you to everyone. I'm stumped. Ever since my post, which was nearly a month ago... I'm still at 233. No change one way or the other and I've been very disciplined. I've tossed the noodles and the protein bars, kept away from other simple carbs, added exercise into my day--every day (walking 3 miles)--and yet here I am. I posted in the forums asking about the LCHF way of eating. Anyone have any experience in this department?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub
    I tried Atkins protein bars lat week. Glad there were only 5 in the box. You called them demons. They are I just can't have any of that near me. Won't buy them again.
    I actually take it back... protein bars are the DEVIL himself!!!! lol They are GONE from house. I never, ever want to see one again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Yes, eating carbs can make you crave more and more carbs. I love carbs. Specifically breads. I just love them. But I know I have no self control with breads. So I don't even tempt myself by allowing myself them. I agree that some people need therapy to help them get their mind around the changes that need to be made. I follow the diet laid out by my surgeon's office. I did not go through all this to not be successful. I have also added exercise into the mix. I don't want to say the sleeve did not work for me. Because ultimately it works for everyone as long as they work it as a tool and not some magic bullet. I know you know what you need to do. I can see that in your post. I know you are also frustrated with yourself and beating yourself up each time you fail. Are there any bariatric support groups in your area you can join? Or even an overeaters anonymous or anything like that? Having somewhere that you have to go and weigh in to make yourself accountable to a group may be helpful and give you more motivation to stay on track. I know it would for me but we are all different. All I can do is offer suggestions. And like everyone on here says, protein first and then veggies. No snacking or grazing. Get rid of anything that is tempting to you. And drink your water however you like it. Good luck and reach out. We are all here to get each other through this.
    Thank you so much, Christie. I am still trying... there has got to be something I'm missing here. Therapy and the weight management program my doctor has recommended cannot hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I bought a new scale and was mad it ways one pound higher than the old one. But the old one I had to slam many times with my foot to get it to actually work. (But I did want to return it to find one where I weighed less.)
    LOL! I know that feeling all too well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I had to go cold turkey on the bread/rice/pasta/potatoes. Even just a little has me jonesing for more more more! Same with sweets. I said I would have one cookie...what a lie I told myself.
    Yes, I had those moments, too. Denial is such a powerful thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslieann
    Hi! I am sure you'll get plenty advise soon. I am a new post about a month, so unfortunately I can't give you any advise, just support!!

You'll get this! Perhaps speaking to someone professionally would help. I certainly would do this with no problem.

Keep us posted! Best wishes!
    Thank you! I am making the appointment today!