Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tandem

Going home

Rate this Entry
Today, is day two of my pre-op modified liquid diet (modified because my surgeon does allow for a healthy dinner and high protein snacks). My surgery is scheduled for Monday afternoon. I am nervous beyond belief.

Preparing for this surgery is just one of many different things I have going on in my life right now. I have lived in Latin America for the past four years. My job has recently assigned me to East Africa. My family and I will arrive there in late July. Before we head to my next assignment we're spending a few weeks in the U.S so that I can have the surgery and so that we can visit family and friends.

One of the things about living overseas is that it often puts the U.S. in a different perspective. For me, I have a new awareness of exactly how much (unhealthy) food Americans are surrounded by everyday. Driving to the hotel from the airport, I was acutely aware of every restaurant I passed - Whataburger, Pappadeaux, the Cheesecake Factory, every Tex-mex restaurant, Dairy Queen (I'm in Texas y'all). . .the list goes on and on and on. I haven't eaten in some of these places in years! Whataburger's sausage, egg and cheese biscuits for breakfast bring back so many good memories. . . I knew this was going to be an issue for me, so I decided to stay in an extended stay hotel so that I'd have a kitchen and would be able to cook. I took my first trip to the grocery store and again, I was super aware of how much food there is here. . .most of it processed and unhealthy - an entire aisle basically devoted to ice cream? How many different flavors of Blue Bell ice cream are there? Y'all, the struggle is real! However, I stuck to my grocery list of lean meats, fruits and veggies. I bought a Vitamix blender, so I was pretty excited about trying different combinations of things. That has helped me resist temptation.

So far, I'm staying strong. I managed to lose 20 pounds between February and today by following my doctor's post-op diet: no red meat, no bread, no sweets and no alcohol. Tomorrow is my last day of the liquid diet and Monday is the big day!

Submit "Going home" to Digg Submit "Going home" to del.icio.us Submit "Going home" to StumbleUpon Submit "Going home" to Google

Comments

Thurs is my big day. Sooooo many conflicted thoughts. If I am going to have to eat better after surgery...or I would probably put my weight back on...why don't I just do that now? These are my conflicted thoughts...and the clock is ticking...