Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kchopkins

12 Weeks Post Op - Random Thoughts

Rate this Entry
This last Tuesday was my 12 week post op anniversary. I don't really know how I feel about it. For some reason I thought I'd be much further along than I am, but can't complain since I'm officially 54 pounds from my highest weight.

Obviously my recurring theme is lack of exercise. I hike every weekend, but don't get much else by way of real physical activity on the weekdays.

Some random thoughts I've had these last few days:

• I am very disappointed with the lack of weight lost in my abdominal area. That is where I carried most of my weight, and while I have lost a significant amount as evidenced by my clothing size reducing, it still bothers me to see such a large stomach.

• The carb cravings (pretzels, bread, crackers) have started to sneak back in, though I have been able to avoid going carb crazy. I can usually find something to satisfy my hunger and move on.

• I still find that I am thinking about food constantly. Even though I'm rarely hungry, and don't eat more than a few bites of anything. I am always looking up recipes, sharing ideas with other people, and in general lusting over all those things I know I should not, and won't, eat. It's psychological for sure and I do try to steer my thoughts in other directions. But it's an every day struggle. I need to come to full and complete terms with my food addiction.

• I still hate that almost all the protein drinks out there are super sweet. I typically add two to three times the amount of water just to cut the sweetness. Which means I have to drink that much more and that can take forever some days.

• I do love that I am getting into smaller clothes and the number on the scale continues to move down. I have decided instead of telling myself I still have 100 pounds to lose, I'm focusing solely on each "decade". I just passed from 240 to 239, so now my goal is to make it to 229. I find that is much more manageable in my head and I don't feel so pressured by that 100 number.

• Back to the large stomach issue...I notice I have quite a bit of skin hanging from the insides of my thighs and of course under my arms. I am hoping that will firm up with some consistent exercise and weight training, but I am sure I'll need to look into plastics. I just don't think I can live with the excess skin hanging around. I do admire people who just say "eff it" and love the bodies they have....maybe I can learn to be that way.

• I'm a little bummed that not many people have noticed, or at least have said anything, about my weight loss. I know I'm no Skinny Minnie yet, but it does make me a little sad that no one, except those extremely close to me, has actually said "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight!" I guess, especially when confronting a woman, it can be a touchy subject. Kind of like asking if you're pregnant...and finding out you're just fat. LOL. But I do secretly find myself hoping someone will comment on it. Maybe it's not as noticeable as I think it is. Of course I still see a fat girl, but my clothes definitely tell me there's a lot less fat.

Anyway...that's 12 weeks for me. I hope in another 12 weeks, things will look and feel a little different.

Submit "12 Weeks Post Op - Random Thoughts" to Digg Submit "12 Weeks Post Op - Random Thoughts" to del.icio.us Submit "12 Weeks Post Op - Random Thoughts" to StumbleUpon Submit "12 Weeks Post Op - Random Thoughts" to Google

Tags: food, post op, vanity Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Get a grip, you are doing great. May need surg. to get rid of the skin. Wait and see. For now focus on your program and enjoy the success.
    I am almost 12 weeks post op also and I find that I think about food all the time also. I am really not hungry but its just still a such a habit to be thinking about food all the time. I also have carb cravings and I am sad to say I have given into mine. I find there is not much that my body does not like so I really need to watch it. I also hate the protein shakes, I find the only one I can tolerate are the pre-made Premier Protein. I dont drink everyday I rather eat real food to get my protein goals, which I am still not meeting. Anyways I did not read anything about exercise.. Are you doing anything? I find it really helps to drop the inches off. Also helps to clear my head to not think about what I can or cant eat.
    Can't you ditch the protein shakes and get your protein from food? I hated them, and quit at 6 weeks when I could add all foods. You're doing great, soon people will start noticing, don't worry!
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewmetoday
    Get a grip, you are doing great. May need surg. to get rid of the skin. Wait and see. For now focus on your program and enjoy the success.
    I have a great grip thank you very much. These are just musings from the last 12 weeks and where I'm at now. But thanks for the comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Can't you ditch the protein shakes and get your protein from food? I hated them, and quit at 6 weeks when I could add all foods. You're doing great, soon people will start noticing, don't worry!
    I'd love to ditch the shakes but I'm not getting enough protein in just food so got to keep them up until I can take more in. I'm so over them!!
    If you have a blender what about making a shake with milk, peanut butter and banana? You can always add a little sweetner if it's not sweet enough. Someone on here said she made her own shakes, but I can't remember specifically the recipes she mentioned. I think you can buy plain whey protein powder (although I've never seen any) so blend milk, protein powder, canned fruit, vanilla? flavor, a little ice--now I've made myself want a pineapple shake--love the ones at Sonic!

I also have a large abdomen and I'm wondering too if it will remain large even after I've lost as much weight as I need to. Good luck to us both.
    You can get plain whey protein from Unjury.com
    I think that you've accomplished great things at 12 weeks. Remember, it took you longer than 12 weeks to gain this amount of weight, and its going to take you longer than 12 weeks to get rid of it. Be kind to yourself. You are not in a race. You have to learn the lessons and let your head, mind and body all catch up to what is happening. My weight is mainly in my stomach as well, and at almost 80 pounds down, I still have a "pooch." You are doing fine, just take it day by day.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowAK
    You can get plain whey protein from Unjury.com
    I have the unflavored Unjury. It's a last resort as to me it makes everything taste awful. But I do use it when necessary.