Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

New Year! New Haircut! New me!

Rate this Entry
Reposting edited version from a thread about "Hair loss fear...."

I celebrated my One-year Sleeversary with a wonderful day at the spa where I had a much needed facial and massage. Yesterday I had a complete hair makeover I went for brighter highlights and went for a super short style!

For me shorter hair means more maintenance because my hair is naturally wavy and I'm hoping this version of a pixie cut will work whether I straighten it or just wash and go. Crossing fingers!!!

Attachment 26770

After first wash. Glad I have enough lenth to braid. Loving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2989.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	26771

Regarding hair loss...

I have read numerous articles on hair loss, the one that makes the most sense to me is the one that explains that we human beings do not need hair for our ultimate survival (not anymore at least lol!) and when we go through a traumatic experience like sickness, famine (real or self-imposed like a nutrient deprived diet), surgery (such as Sleeve Gastrectomy), hormonal changes (which can happen from several factors including genetics as well as post Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery changes) and or other traumas our hair follicles are the last to get the proper nutrients to keep hair looking healthy and lustrous, because the focus is to keep the major organs functioning well. Timing of shock and start or amount of hair loss may differ among individuals.

Personally, I have gone through several bouts of hair loss this past year. The worst was between 3-6 months post surgery. There are days I forget my vitamins, I don't drink enough water, get enough rest, and I don't eat a lot of protein and I believe that is cause for hair to start falling off again. For me, it is a true tale sign that I am not following my program and that I am not taking care of me. It's a very delicate balance we have to live for the rest of our lives, well at least I do.

My hair is not falling as much or often and also noticing fullness coming back. I have tons of new hair growth, and it was one of the reasons I decided to go for a super shorter cut. Definitely a motivator to stay on program of good nutrition, supplement with multivitamins and probiotics, drink a good amount of water, get plenty of rest, and exercise on daily basis! This is best self care we can give ourselves!

The hair products I use on regular basis have helped me manage and keep my hair looking shine and healthy for the most part. Again, I am a firm believer that our overall health starts at the mouth, everything we eat can either help or debilitate our outcome, specially hair in this discussion.

I'm happy and content for what the Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery has done for me this past year, and I am super excited for what this next year brings for me. I still have 30lbs to go to reach my personal goal, so each ounce I lose is a path in the right direction!

Submit "New Year! New Haircut! New me!" to Digg Submit "New Year! New Haircut! New me!" to del.icio.us Submit "New Year! New Haircut! New me!" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Year! New Haircut! New me!" to Google

Comments

Love your hair! I went to a pixie too and I love it. It's nice to show off your face when you lose weight. Congrats!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    Love your hair! I went to a pixie too and I love it. It's nice to show off your face when you lose weight. Congrats!!
    Thank you! As you can see my hair is now super wavy. In the past, I have done all sorts of horrible things to get it straight but I think I am now really happy with it and will leave it be.
    Gah! You look super cute Shirl!! And super young with short hair! I absolutely love it.
    Thank you for this post!!
    Love your new Doo!!!! It does make you look younger

Thanks for always posting such great info too. I can totally see that hair loss can be a tell-tell sign that your body needs additional nutrition and love... vitamins, sleep, exercise and water. I know it will happen to me too, but I am going to try to minimize my hair loss as much as I can.

Congrats on your ONE YEAR SLEEVERSARY!!!!!!