Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

blanzillo87

Is this really my life right now?! 10 months post op

Rate this Entry
I haven't been on here in a while but wanted to post an update of encouraging words for anyone thinking about getting the sleeve or has stalled out on weight loss since having it. I had my surgery 10.5 months ago and honestly it was the best decision of my entire life. It was hard at first. very hard! I had a sedentary lifestyle and didn't like moving unless I had to. But I kept telling myself,"each day when you wake up you won't be as sore as you were the first day. Keep walking every hour or so to increase circulation so you can heal faster Brandy." They don't tell you that you will hurt like hell on day 3 post op but after that the soreness will disappear gradually. I loved weighing in and seeing the scale number go down every week because I was used to dreading the scale because it would increase in the past. The different protein shakes were disgusting but when I found the right one I was on track. I did start to lose my hair around 4 months post op but knew that was from shocking my body with the surgery. I started taking biotin 2,000 mcg daily and my hair started growing back. I'm sure everyone who has had the sleeve tried to eat "bad foods" like they did before surgery and found that it would make you either very nauseous or throw it back up. It took me a few times to get it in my head that this is a tool to use with the weight loss surgery and not a crutch. By month 7-8 I had lost 60 lbs and was so happy but noticed the scale wasn't moving at all. I developed a meal plan for myself and reminders on my cell phone to tell me when to eat. I don't ever feel the urge to get excessively hungry like I did before but I notice cravings here and there. I basically eat what I want to now but it's all about portion control. If I do crave a cheeseburger I will order a grilled turkey patty with cheese & take off the bread. I may eat a 3rd of it and will save it for later. If I want chocolate I always have a dark chocolate bar and will a lot myself one piece once or twice a week. I don't ever deprive myself but I find other ways to soothe that craving that is a healthier option.
I have noticed that since having this surgery my immune system is down and I catch a cold or virus easier than I did before but I've increased my vitamin c intake. It's all about tweaking the system to work for you! Everyone experiences this journey differently. It's all about how you look at it. I'm now 10.5 months post op and have lost over 100 lbs. I wore a size 24 before surgery and wear a size 10 now. my breast size went from a 42 C to a 38 D. I do have excess skin on my stomach but I plan on having it removed when I'm completely finished losing weight. I have always thought,"if I just lose the weight I will be happy again." trust me when I say this......losing weight does make a difference in happiness but there are underlying issues that surface that you need to work on within yourself to make you happy. I have a great support system of family, my son and my boyfriend that I've been with for 7 years. He has always been supportive and wanted the best for me. he has never put me down about being overweight but brought it up as a health concern 1 year before surgery. I was so big I couldn't move without hurting. I recently gave myself a makeover with a sassy new haircut and new clothes. It felt amazing to have more choices with clothes and not going directly to one rack with dark colored tarps to hide my rolls & fatness.
Honestly I can say after experiencing this journey I'm happy...I'm happy with the decisions I've made in having this surgery. Since having this surgery I started nursing school( 4 months left until I'm finished), have more energy to play with my 9 yr old son, have confidence to go out and meet new people, have become an extrovert instead of a hermit crab, haven't been afraid of walking into a new place where before I knew ppl were staring at me because I was over 250 lbs on a 4ft 9inch body frame, haven't been afraid to voice my opinions, enjoy outdoor activities and look forward to summer time without chub rub this year where as before I would HATE it! I'm loving life and finally living it! You only get one life....seeing how I lived it before just hiding and waiting to die from a heart attack/stroke makes me sad for my old self. But I'm awake now! I am AWAKE and I have survived and will NEVER EVER go back to being in the dark again!

Submit "Is this really my life right now?! 10 months post op" to Digg Submit "Is this really my life right now?! 10 months post op" to del.icio.us Submit "Is this really my life right now?! 10 months post op" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is this really my life right now?! 10 months post op" to Google

Comments

Thank you for sharing this. I am post op of 11 days and wishing I was 6 months further on! It's good to read how positive you feel and how happy you feel xx
    What a fabulous life you have now!
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure it will be an inspiration to those who are about to embark on this same journey.
    What an amazing testament to using the sleeve to your benefit and my how you have benefited indeed. Congratulations on your success. I can hear your happiness through your words which I am sure is just a shadow to live and in color. Congratulations to you!!!
    blanzillo, I completely believe you: you WILL never go back. What a wonderful new life you have created, and what a wonderful testimony you have offered us.
    Thank you guys for you support!!!
    You go girl! I love to hear from those who are months out and the secrets to their success. So motivating for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing.....
    Congratulations! I understand your happiness perfectly because I have continually told people that these are the best days of my life! I didn't know to live before and I didn't know what I was missing until I got it back. It's not just losing weight and getting healthy but having hope for the future again. Enjoying life again. I've changed everything about myself and I have so much confidence that I am going into a new business as well. I guess since I took the biggest risk possible and it paid off that I can do it with my business and it is going to be a total success as well. I know it! Keep up the good work and enjoy these wonderful days in our lives!
    This was beautifully written. Thank you for being an inspiration
    beautiful message! Thank you!
    You're doing awesome! What an inspiration!! Congrats on IT ALL! The weight loss, the happiness, the nursing school...you have improved your life all around. YAY FOR YOU!!