Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nursesydney17

A visit to the emergency room

Rate this Entry
The gas(I thought it was gas) turned out to be a collapsed lung. I went in to the emergency room around 645pm on a Friday night and around 4 am was admitted to the med surg floor. I had to chug contrast which I swore to the CT tech that I was going to burst my stomach and she smiled and said it is what your surgeon ordered, she was incredibly patient with me with my throwing up and having to start drinking the contrast again.
I stayed in the hospital until Sunday afternoon which I was grateful for the IV fluids and the pain medication that I did not have to swallow. I don't know how grateful I will be when I see the bill!
It was coincidence that my one week follow up was the next day and my surgeon put me on Reglan, carafate, and actigall. The actigall will assist with my gallbladder and hopefully I won't have to have a surgery to remove it.
I was having a tough time with pain and breathing due to the collapsed lung so walking even a few steps exhausted me, I took it slow for the next few days which was very difficult for me. I stayed on a clear liquid diet throughout this ordeal because it was easier/less painful to throw up. I was still throwing up with phenergan and zofran every 4 hours.
FINALLY my nausea started to dissipate around Friday the 26th, I still struggled with the breathing but I think at that point I learned how to breath. I was about to eat 1 tbs of tomato soup for the day and was thrilled to keep it down.
Every day has been getting better and better, I'm 13 days out and I've lost 27 pounds. I can walk my two dogs and can tolerate eggs, mashed potatoes, tomato soup, smashed up peas, and sweet potatoes.

I regretted this surgery with every ounce of my being for the first 11 days and I would cry myself to sleep, hoping I would wake up and this was all just a nightmare. I wasn't expecting to have that sort of reaction. I'd fought my insurance company for 4 months for this blasted procedure and now I was regretting it. I had immense guilt about the regret because this was paid for by my parents. I paid 5989$ out of pocket. My insurance paid a max of $10,000. But I'm grateful for this surgery and the chance to be a healthy active member of society. I you're reading this and you're regretting the procedure, I promise it gets better. It gets easier. The pain doesn't last. It pays off.

Submit "A visit to the emergency room" to Digg Submit "A visit to the emergency room" to del.icio.us Submit "A visit to the emergency room" to StumbleUpon Submit "A visit to the emergency room" to Google

Comments

So glad things are better for you. It's all down hill from here. Be blessed.
    So sorry you hit a bump in the road but hopefully it only gets better from here.....
    This is a great post. Thank you for sharing with us and I'm glad that you're on the mend. Btw, what was the cause of your collapsed lung?
    What a bummer, glad you were smart enough to go to the hospital. Take care.
    So sorry you had such a horrible experience. I am glad to see you are optimistic about the end result. You can ROCK this sleeve, gurl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toopie2Seater
    This is a great post. Thank you for sharing with us and I'm glad that you're on the mend. Btw, what was the cause of your collapsed lung?
    I think from the pain that I had from breathing i started to take shallower breaths and eventually my left lung just collapsed from not using it. There are several things that can cause a collapsed lung, but that is my best theory. I used my spirometer when I was in the hospital and when i got out I was able to get to 3500-4000 capacity then on friday I wasnt able to get to 500. So i knew something was wrong, I was hoping that it was not a leak.