Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kanderson915

what did you try eating in stage 2?

Rate this Entry
I am going into my second week and all I have had is broth and water/Gatorade. I hear that some people that got sleeved the same day as me have already started their "mushy" foods. I'm scared to go too fast. What did any of you try and at what time frame. I don't have a nut because I went to mexico to have my surgery done. I don't know who to ask.

Submit "what did you try eating in stage 2?" to Digg Submit "what did you try eating in stage 2?" to del.icio.us Submit "what did you try eating in stage 2?" to StumbleUpon Submit "what did you try eating in stage 2?" to Google

Tags: eating, stage 2 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi KAnderson915! my stage one included Premier Protein shake, I added extra protein powder to increase protein. I checked with my surgical nurse and she approved it. I blend my proteins in the morning and divide into three servings. sipped on one most of the morning then started on the next then the next. In the evening I prepare about two cups of broth with 1 cup of bone marrow broth which has more protein per oz. than regular broth (12gm per serving), no salt added, and I blend with 1 cup of miso soup until tofu and seaweed are micro with my Vitamix; also approved by my surgical nurse. I started the soup blend on my third day post op.

These are my instructions:

Phase 1 (day 2 to day 10) Liquid Diet:

- ALL STAGES: to 2 liters of water daily (no water during meals avoid 20-30 min before or after meals)
    - Take 2 chewable multivitamin in the morning
    - Sip on Premier Protein shake work up to two servings a day (60-80g Protein)
    - Sip on clear broths, sugar free popsicles (I skipped these I do not like sugar free products); I did get natural fruit pectin j-ello made with diluted fruit juice, no added sugars or artificial flavors or colors. The first table spoon I forgot to let it dissolve completely in my mouth... huge mistake. I had half of one today, and let it dissolve as much as I could, my tummy still did not like it.)

Foods included on list:
    - Premier Protein Shakes all flavors
    - V-8 Juice low sodium (may add lemon and pepper to taste)
    - Protein K20 water
    - Herbal teas
    - Crystal Light
    - Diet Snapple (I bought Isopure Black Tea zero carb drink (40g Protein) but I think that caused me to have acid reflux so I stopped having it after the first incident)
    - Sugar free juice
    - Sugar free popsicles

Phase 2 (day 10 to day 20) Full Liquids Diet

- Includes all liquids from Phase 1
    - Consume foods that are liquid or semi-liquid form
    - eat at scheduled times, preferably six small meals

Foods included on list:
    - Non-fat cottage cheese
    - Non-fat yogurt
    - Fat free or 1% milk
    - Canned creamed soups made with nonfat or 1% milk
    - Canned broth based soups run through the blender, no lumps or bumps
    - Thinned and blended hot cereal such as cream of wheat, farina, cream of rice, or oatmeal
    - Sugar free pudding, fudgesicles, creamsicles, popsicles ( I am avoiding these, they might take me to a sloppery slope).

Phase 3 (day 20 to day 30) Soft/Pureed Foods Diet

- Include previous foods if you like
    - Do not forget water, but do not drink 20-30 minutes prior or after meals
    - Eat at scheduled times, preferrably six small meals
    - time yourself, eat slowly, mush food in mouth before swallowing

Foods included on list:
    - Scrambled eggs or egg whites
    - Regular hot cereals, start slow, medium thickness.
    - Pureed beans
    - Pureed Fully STEAMED vegetables, may include meat
    - Pureed Steamed fruits no peels or seeds (apples, pears, peaches, plums)
    - Baby Food (Smooth stage 2)
    - Thicker soups

Stage 4 (day 30 and beyond) Solid Foods with certain cautionary limits

Let visit this when we get there... basically list includes any wholesome close to natural form food. No water in between meals, avoid 20-30 prior and after meals. Vegetables still need to be fully steamed and fully chewed. Fruits still need to be peeled, cut in small pieces and and fully chewed.

Hope this helps you. I am sure others have other instructions, but these are suggested by my surgeon.

Best wishes.

Shirl
    If you go online you can find various plans for foods. My clinic advises whole liquids (includes sugar free pudding, gelatin and yogurt) for two weeks post surgery, then you slowly add foods in. Look for bariatric meal plans, St Joseph's, Hamilton to find mine, Guelph Hospital also has a similar plan with sample meals. I still reference both when I am unsure or want ideas.
    I went to mexico also, but I pretty stayed with his program, in phase 2 by day 14, slowly introduced foods. Some my body liked, some it did not. It never wanted SF jello for some reason but pudding (all 2 bites) felt good. Go slow and let your belly tell you what it wants. My huddy is almost 5 months out and is still in some phase 2 foods, having good days and bad. It is a process but I'm 15 months and can eat anything and everything, but 1/4 amounts. I love it!
    I still have to have my morning shake to get in all my protein for the day.