09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    08-29-2022 08:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Question Hypoglycemia pre opt for the gastric sleeve is it a safe surgery to do if already hypoglycemic??

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the gastric sleeve community and I really am in need of knowing if someone else is like me out there who wants to have the Gastric Sleeve done but I'm hypoglycemic so it scares me . So I have been doing research for about 9 months now about the gastric sleeve and I know that it is something I would like to do my BMI Is 38. So my concern is what happens after wards if your hypoglycemic and you have the surgery done how do you maintain a good blood sugar if you cant eat anything after your surgery while in the hospital ? then they say you cant eat anything for three weeks after that then what happens to keep you blood sugar up? and then after you get past that successfully with out any low blood sugar episodes ( which I hate it makes me so sick feeling and dizzy , confused , shaky ) I ordered some unjury protein shake mix and im going to test myself and do a 7 day liquid diet to see if I can do it with out any blood sugar problems and go from there . I just really want some educated people or experienced people who have dealt with hypoglycemia BEFORE surgery to explain how they feel now ? do they regret the surgery? Do they love it ? Did it maybe make the hypoglycemia go away ( because I heard that could happen which would be amazing!) Just any info from someone who is will to help me decide if it something that is safe for someone with this kind of medical problem already.

Thanks in Advance for the help and advise!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member msnycia2u2013's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bruce
    Last Activity
    01-18-2014 11:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hypoglycemia pre opt for the gastric sleeve is it a safe surgery to do if already hypoglycemic??

Hey sweetie, i just had the surgery last Wednesday, I am hypoglycemic as well. Glucerna was my friend before, during and after words. Although after I sip on 2 oz every hour to help with the dizzyness and shakiness so far so good. I have no regrets because the end result means it can potentially go away for good! I havent used unjury but I do use the fruittare lime popsicles if i get to bad off. Sugars really hurt my stomach. i also use GNC amplify protein, bariatric protein, carnation instant breakfast and glucerna and I have been fine. oh yea crystal light.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Matthew Johnson
    Last Activity
    10-30-2013 09:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Hypoglycemia pre opt for the gastric sleeve is it a safe surgery to do if already hypoglycemic??

I am a type 1 diabetic so I too get low blood sugars. After surgery you can sip clear liquids which include apple and cranberry juice both contain enough sugar to bring you blood sugar up. Also if you are still in the hospital they monitor all that and can give you "sugar" through your IV if you are low and unable to drink anything. Testing out what you body does on a liquid diet is a good idea but there are always ways to get some sugar in if you are feeling low, even right after surgery.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-12-2014 04:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am not hypoglycemic. Although having normal sugar levels, after surgery I have had issues with not enough calorie intake. This caused my sugars to drop really low. Having natural fruit juice freezies help me through that stage. I would suggest you make sure you have things on hand that work for you before surgery. I cant stress enough to all pre op sleevers to have a protein shake/powder they enjoy before surgery. After surgery you are not going to want anything let alone something that taste horrible in the first place. A test pre op diet is a great idea, its extremely hard although you can see how your body reacts and what works to balance you out. Plus I'd suggest you start logging your meals and get on a schedule. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack times, protein shakes, when to stop drinking and start drinking.
    Good luck

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member applejacks's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yenumula
    Last Activity
    05-06-2014 04:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sonogirl View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the gastric sleeve community and I really am in need of knowing if someone else is like me out there who wants to have the Gastric Sleeve done but I'm hypoglycemic so it scares me . So I have been doing research for about 9 months now about the gastric sleeve and I know that it is something I would like to do my BMI Is 38. So my concern is what happens after wards if your hypoglycemic and you have the surgery done how do you maintain a good blood sugar if you cant eat anything after your surgery while in the hospital ? then they say you cant eat anything for three weeks after that then what happens to keep you blood sugar up? and then after you get past that successfully with out any low blood sugar episodes ( which I hate it makes me so sick feeling and dizzy , confused , shaky ) I ordered some unjury protein shake mix and im going to test myself and do a 7 day liquid diet to see if I can do it with out any blood sugar problems and go from there . I just really want some educated people or experienced people who have dealt with hypoglycemia BEFORE surgery to explain how they feel now ? do they regret the surgery? Do they love it ? Did it maybe make the hypoglycemia go away ( because I heard that could happen which would be amazing!) Just any info from someone who is will to help me decide if it something that is safe for someone with this kind of medical problem already.

Thanks in Advance for the help and advise!
    I am not Hypoglycemic but I just wanted throw in my 2 cents from my view of my friends who had surgery and were hypoglycemic. They were able to have clear fruit juices as needed in the beginning and the protein shake phase after surgery seemed to help stabalize them for the most part. If needed they would sip some juice or suck on a popsicle. Good luck on your journey!

Oh by the way....Unjury is my absolute FAVORITE Protein powder on the market. I used to have the LabBand WLS and used unjury a lot! Now that I will be sleeved soon I plan on stocking up on my Unjury powder once again!
    One drink using Unjury that would help with your blood sugars is an 8 oz cup of Light OJ (the 50 cal one) shaken w/ 1 to 1 1/2 scoops of Vanilla Unjury.....tastes just like a dreamsicle (50/50 bar) YUM!

Highest Wt. before LapBand(11/2006) -416 lbs.
    Day of Surgery to remove LapBand (6/26/13) -330 lbs.
    Goal Wt. to get Sleeve Surgery -320 lbs.
    1st Mini Goal Wt. 295 lbs. -
    2nd Mini Goal Wt. 275 lbs. -
    3rd Mini Goal Wt. 250 lbs. -
    4th Mini Goal Wt. 225 lbs. -
    5th Mini Goal Wt. 195 lbs. -
    6th Mini Goal Wt. 180 lbs. -
    Goal Wt. 170 lbs. -

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Thank you everyone for helping me feel better about this life changing decision I feel a lot better knowing that there are other people out there that have the same problem as me and had the surgery!

I would still like for as many people who have had the surgery who had hypoglycemia to please feel free to post and tell me your journey! I like reading the posts it gives me courage and support ! Thanks again everyone for giving me advise and telling me their experiences. it means a lot to me !!

best regards to everyone and happy losing!!!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

So update with my hypoglycemia .. I couldn't decide which doctor I wanted to use so ( going to Mexico) so I have been talking with both and I have one doctor tell me that my hypoglycemia will go away with the surgery and another doctor tell me I may not be able to do the surgery due to not being able to take in enough food after sugery so it might not be safe ...

So how are the hypoglycemia people out there doing after the surgery are they taking in enough food to substation them even through the liquid diet ??

Anyone's opinion on this would be great, one minute I'm excited to do this and get my life back and then I have a drawback saying I may not be able to so in really bummed and worried .. I also see people posting how they have hypoglycemia now after the surgery .. Why would that be... Not enough protien maybe... Because if the surgery causes it in some and I already have it then that would be a horrible outcome for me ..

Thanks for everyone's support and advice I'm in need of some enlightenment big time !!!