Name
    Stacey
    Last Activity
    11-20-2011 12:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 11 months post op and my pooch has stretched ALOTTTTTT

Hi im stacey and i had the sleeve done 1/4/11 and started at 206. i am now 155 and have only lost 20 pounds since march. I feel like im able to eat just as much as i could before surgery. I have no insurance and paid for the surgery out of pocket. Is there a way to shrink the pooch back to the size the dr made it? maybe a liquid diet? I cant afford a stomaphyx or ROSE procedure.. and this is making me loose my mind. I dont know what to dooooo!!!! HELP

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 11 months post op and my pooch has stretched ALOTTTTTT

I have heard that doing a month of liquids will help it be the smallest it can be and reset it but I don't think it will shrink it back to the original post-surgical size. And as a bonus, if you do low or no sugar high protein liquids it will cut your hunger back and you'll most likely drop some serious lbs in that month. Just a thought...
    Also, I don't know how tall you are but I firmly believe there is just an inborn set point for each of us. Are you very unhappy at 155? If you dropped another 20 lbs in the next 6 months would you be happy then? Are you maintaining or worried about gaining back?
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 06:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Cool Re: 11 months post op and my pooch has stretched ALOTTTTTT

I wuld try and implement the first suggestion. Otherwise if at first u dont succeed then u can try my little secret which consists of 1 rule only. U can eat whatever u plan to but the rule is u have to completely eat 1 bowl full of crisp salad or veg first b4 anything else. Even if ur going to have a snack, dont deprive urself but rather make urself eat 1 bowl of salad or crisp steam veg b4 it. The only other thing is that u have to eat straight after ur bowl of salad as i guarantee u u will not be able to and u will then have greater control. Make ur bowl a good size and not just half a cup. Also stay away from processed foods as much as possible as it does slip down much quicker and u can b hungry again in a half hr. ice cream and things like that also will not give u any satisfaction. I find even bread slips down quite easy as it is full of starch and also is quite processed.

I find that wen im tempted to eat a chocolate or something like that then i dont fight it, i just tell myself that i can have it but i have to eat my bowl/container of veg first. I find that the craving either completely goes away when eating a nice salad or even though my sleeve has stretched i still dont have enough stomach to keep eating. If nothing else works for u then please just give my '1 rule eating plan' a go at least for a week and note any differences.

Also u wuld have noticed that although your sleeve has stretched that ur stomach still cannot get through a whole plate of meat and salad for example and u get full quite quickly. This is because that kind of food is quite unprocessed. However processed foods u will be able to fit in quite a sum!

Good luck with that. Keep in contact with ur surgeon and dietician and psychologist. Dont think they will b unable to help u but keep trying!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Please give examples of what and how much you are able to eat at one sitting. Have you been drinking carbonated drinks since surgery? Are you still doing protein first? What types of foods do you typically eat?

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times
    Was Thanked 355 Times in 317 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

Wow- I have nothing to add, but I do want to follow you and see what you find for a solution. Grace, Sharazz, and Rae---great suggestions and voice of reason. Blessings and hugs- Connie

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Drew
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-16-2018 08:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

you should catch this long time ago now is it to late now ?????

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

I suppose that upping your exerecise will help, so, if you are able, going to the gym might help burn more calories.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Stacey
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

heres in example of what i can eat in one sitting: edemame, miso soup, 1 order of a sushi roll, and sometimes i have enought room to fit green tea ice cream. i havent touched a soda or carbonation since surgery. if im not having sushi and im eating at home i can still eat alot. I eat alot of sushi.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Stacey
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

since monday is my bday im starting the liquid diet tuesday, i really hope this works lol because this is gonna be a hard 3 weeks!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Well it seems you are eating a lot of rice and soybeans/edamame. It doesn't seem like what you are eating is an excess of calories. But you are getting more carbs than protein by far. I don't think you've stretched your sleeve to excess though perhaps the rice might do that. I think it's more about you getting more carbs than perhaps your body does well with as far as losing weight, though it would seem to be fine for maintaining. If you wish to lose more, you may find leaning on more fish or other protein food and less rice and edamame, to switch around your nutrition a bit. Just a thought.
    Some folks are carb sensitive.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Charles
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-03-2013 09:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 53 Times

Miso soup is a liquid and can be washing your meal straight through your sleeve. Remember you should not be drinking 20 minutes before or after a meal.
    Drinking that close to a meal will leave your sleeve available for more food. Try waiting 20-30 minutes after drinking and then weigh out 3-4 oz or protein such as chicken breast, eat this slowly and see how you feel afterwards. You may find that your sleeve has not stretched to speak of, its just you have forgotten to eat slowly.

Charles

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/17/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Avara
    Last Activity
    11-11-2011 04:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I started at 397, on 8-16-09. As of May 2011, I had lost about 95 lbs. and had the same problem as you are having. I went on protein drinks, broth, and sugar free liquids for 3 days, and my pouch shrank back down again. The only caution I have to offer is that you should eat soft foods in small amounts when you go back to solids, because solids will cause major stomach cramps. Good luck.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Stacey
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

that makes sense, i didnt really think about those carbs! i also hear rice sticks to your stomach so that prob doesnt help either lol

Gastric Sleeve Member grammysyd's Avatar
    Name
    GrammySyd
    Surgery date
    06/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    04-14-2012 07:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I think when we get off track, we have to go back to the beginning and start over. That means following all the rules when you first came home from the hospital. You have to have 2 protein shakes per day, drink water at every opportunity and eat protein first at every meal. No sweets, pasta or anything white (flour, sugar). If you want something sweet, eat a piece of fruit. Most of this is common sense, but I will say it is SO easy to get off track and revert to old habits. I hope you conquer this issue. Be kind to yourself and just start over. Wishing you all the best Stacey!

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member TrailNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyG View Post
    heres in example of what i can eat in one sitting: edemame, miso soup, 1 order of a sushi roll, and sometimes i have enought room to fit green tea ice cream. i havent touched a soda or carbonation since surgery. if im not having sushi and im eating at home i can still eat alot. I eat alot of sushi.
    That's a lot of rice. One sushi roll contains 1 cup of rice, which is 267 calories. If you are eating it every day that could be the reason for your stall and stretching of your stomach. Sushi rice is cooked but expands further as it is digested. Do this experiment.....take a couple of pieces of sushi rice home with you and put it in a container of water. In a few hours you will see how much it expands. Now multiply that by a cup.

Add me on myfitnesspal.com
    TrailNurse

26. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast