Surgeon
    dr mario almanza
    Last Activity
    01-31-2017 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Looking for honesty!!!!

Hi ALL!!!!! I just scheduled my surgery.... YIKES!!!!! I was wondering if I could get peoples input on how the days after surgery are at the hotel? What did you wish you brought? How much clothes to pack? What you did to help pass the time? How much pain were you in? How you felt? Did you go anywhere? What you ate? What was harder than you thought? What you didn't expect? What you didn't like? What you would change if you could? What you loved? What helped you feel better? What my guest should expect? How hard is it to adapt to the NOT eating after surgery? How things are going now that your home? Ya know just the questions that I am sure most of you had and didn't get the answers too( or you did and want to share with me) before your surgery. I am new to this whole posting thing and I just really want everyone's HONEST answers. I realize that almost everyone loves their decision.... BUT I want some one to tell me the not so good stuff...NOT too change my mind or scare me... but so that I can mentally prepare myself. It cant be a complete smooth sailing process for EVERYONE. So tell me the good, bad and the ugly PLEASE!!! I have been reading and watching testimonials for months and no one really talks about the complications or the things they wish someone would have warned them about. I am asking you guys to help me out with that. My mind is made up. I am doing this. I just hope you all will help me with some info on all the things that no one ever mentions. THANKS SO MUCH!!!! ~Angie

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    08-11-2017 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Re: Looking for honesty!!!!

Hi Angie I was right where you were just a few weeks ago. Nervous, excited, etc. etc. I had my sleeve last Friday on the 13th of January. I went to Mexico to have it due to no insurance compensation. The preop diet was pretty much what I eat normally anyway. The two days before I could only have clear liquids which was kind of tough, but you know its short term. Surgery went smooth. The first night after surgery was kind of tough with the gas from the surgery causing most of my discomfort. I had a drain that was uncomfortable until it came out the next day. My incisions were only very minimal discomfort. The first day I had ice chips. The second day started on clear liquids. I flew home Monday and have felt wonderful! I am amazed at how well I feel with only still having clear liquids. To the hospital I would pack light. Chapstick, books, magazine, laptop, whatever helps past time. My husband and I played cards! lol I wore sweats and big t-shirt . They had accommodations for my husband to stay with me, but he went to hotel. The best thing you can do post op is walk. They told me the walks had to be 20 min long in order to be effective for the post op gas to work out better. I still haven't had hunger. I watch everyone around me eat, fix food for kids, etc. and I don't even think about eating.

I know it is scary and a life changer, but already I know it was a great decision for me to do. I am so looking forward to finally being successful at weight loss using my new tool. It will still take work, but I am confident for the first time in my life that I will be successful finally. I wish you luck hopefully have answered a few of your questions.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I can't answer most of these questions because I had surgery 1/2 from home. But for two weeks after surgery I am on liquid diet so there's no eating anything. The only paid meds I took in the hospital (which were just given every 6 hours) was tylenol. I didn't take anything after being discharged.

My best advice to feel good is WALK. Walking helps everything!

I will say that not chewing is sometimes weird but I remind myself that it's a mental thing.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

In the last few months there have several reports of complications, mostly folks cannot keep anything down. If that happens to you you must report it immediately, the only time I had a gag reflex was when I took the liquid form Tylenol when I got home. I was not in any pain so I really did not need it, but followed instructions. After three days I stopped taking it all together.

I've only thrown up once and it was mostly water because I ate and drank too much water with my meal.

Of the Folks who had surgery followed by complications only a few regrets it.

Of course I am extremely grateful that I've had zero complications, and I the path I was going I would have had a real complicated quality of life due to diabetes or would have been dead by age 50 like my father.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael P Choi
    Last Activity
    04-30-2023 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

GAS was the WORST thing for me...it hurt a lot under my ribs, in my back and collar bone area. Gas X does help, but you have to walk to get it all out as they say above. One of the things I wish I had in the hospital was an electric kettle for tea and for heating up my broth, maybe a soup mug from home would have been nice as well. We stayed on the beach in Ft Lauderdale so I could walk a little outside...unfortunately I wasn't feeling up to it as I was tired from the surgery. That was my #2 issues, just being so tired. My hubby drank some scotch and watched TV and took care of me for the two days. I slept and drank broth and watched TV or read a book. I don't think others are hiding anything bad from you, I just think that most of the time things go right and there's not much to tell. I hope the same is true for you!!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2017 12:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I had my surgery in Tijuana, MX and all though my stay was different from the U.S.A it went according to plan. I was in the hospital with 3 roommates the first night after surgery and returned to my room the next day. My husband was with me but could not stay at the hospital. I wasn't tired at all the first 3 days and walked all the time. The hotel only has 2 television stations in English so unless you are bilingual that is a no go. I made friends with the other patients and walked with my husband. I had an IV in for 2 days after surgery which wasn't pleasant and had to get re-stuck I am awful with IV and a very hard stick finally they let me take my meds by mouth. The drains didn't come out until the night before we got released. We drove from CA to OK so for some reason on the way back I crashed for almost 24 hours and couldn't wake up much. I think my body was finally feeling the affect of the surgery. Once I got home the first 4 weeks I would have my regrets from feelings of exhaustion and dehydration. It is very important to follow the recommended diet and to focus on sipping water and protein. Good luck to you it is not all rainbows and sunshine but now almost a year later and 165 lighter I know this surgery was the right decision for me.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Treva View Post
    I had my surgery in Tijuana, MX and all though my stay was different from the U.S.A it went according to plan. I was in the hospital with 3 roommates the first night after surgery and returned to my room the next day. My husband was with me but could not stay at the hospital. I wasn't tired at all the first 3 days and walked all the time. The hotel only has 2 television stations in English so unless you are bilingual that is a no go. I made friends with the other patients and walked with my husband. I had an IV in for 2 days after surgery which wasn't pleasant and had to get re-stuck I am awful with IV and a very hard stick finally they let me take my meds by mouth. The drains didn't come out until the night before we got released. We drove from CA to OK so for some reason on the way back I crashed for almost 24 hours and couldn't wake up much. I think my body was finally feeling the affect of the surgery. Once I got home the first 4 weeks I would have my regrets from feelings of exhaustion and dehydration. It is very important to follow the recommended diet and to focus on sipping water and protein. Good luck to you it is not all rainbows and sunshine but now almost a year later and 165 lighter I know this surgery was the right decision for me.
    Wow, you've done amazing. Congratulations!

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treva View Post
    Treva, that's an amazing story. You are so awesome!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89