Surgeon
    Shaw Somers
    Last Activity
    04-14-2017 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Weight Gain

I initially did really well and lost 6stone but at 3 years out I have started putting weight on again and have put a stone back on. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weight Gain

I am only 10 weeks out but the older sleevers talk about doing the 5 day pouch test or getting back to the basics of how you lost weight in the beginning. Tracking protein and water, exercise, go low carb for a while. Good luck!

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

What are you doing differently since you've started gaining compared to what you did the first 3 years?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I am three years out and have put on about 19 - I am working my tail off trying to get it off but it is not nearly as easy as post op - still I get up every day and plan my meals, log my food, exercise more than I thought I would have to at this point. Each day is a new day and there is no question that the right foods fill you up better than the foods we start to crave. I know the danger foods and try not to keep them in the house. Each day I go back to basics with my little containers and make the best choices I can - all our friends here on this site keep reminding those of us who have gained some of our weight that it is a lifelong journey - but we also need to understand how really small amounts we were eating to lose a majority of that weight - Go back to basics - we know how to do this. Good luck & keep coming back for support - these are "our" people and we all have such valuable insight.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member one4sailn's Avatar
    Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-11-2022 10:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Same boat, but turning this ship around STAT.

My 3 year anniversary will be March 5th, and I'm up 16 lbs. Pisses me off, but I know how the pounds crept back up. Like the gal above said, I'm also back to pre-planning meals, knocking my portion size back down, and cutting back on my wine intake. I didn't realize that I wasn't following the guidelines for my "tool" anymore, at meal time. ( No liquid for 30 minutes before and after, put the fork down when I feel the restriction and LEAVE it down...not pick it back up when I feel there is room for one more bite, now...etc)

I'm also doing the very thing that I despise, and that is exercise. I have found a small gym that is extremely nice, and in no way intimidating. I have started Zumba, and although I may look like a hot mess trying to dance like a sexy latina, I am LOVING it. I simply had to find what activity I would enjoy and it looks like I have! I have been "back at it" for a week , now, and vow to continue coming back to these forums for ideas and accountability once again.

The honeymoon of melting weight is long over. The surgery gave us a head start to healthy living, but it's up to us to run with it and be committed. I refuse to go up any higher. I'm getting back down and then some. Good luck to you!

P.S. "Head hunger" is a very real and ugly thing. Keep cut up and sliced veggies close by! If you have it prepared, you'll grab it. (Much better than Skinny Pop or other slider foods)

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

R E S P E C T ! ! ! ! !

I hear you re the need to find exercise regimens that we actually enjoy. (Embarrassed to say I haven't yet tried Zumba, but I can't find a morning class, and I prefer exercising then.)

BTW, my WLS surgeon's team warned me against doing the same exercise day after day after day. They said that in doing so I would run a greater risk of both injury and burnout.

After a couple of years of walking and then more, longer, faster walking (which I DO love), seven months ago I decided to mix it up by joining a two-days-a-week early morning yoga class, which has turned out to be AMAZING.

Then two months ago when the weather turned brutal, I joined an early morning aquarobics class that meets three days a week, what is also AMAZING. I still get out and walk on days when the weather's good. But this workout shakeup has reminded me of how much fun can be had by exercising with other people. And socializing is always good for our endorphins.

Come spring, I'm sure I'll be back out in the sunshine and nice breezes walking the Ozark hills and valleys 3-4 days a week as well.

Maybe I'll even try a Zumba class.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

I ate an entire red bell pepper today at work!

Quote Originally Posted by one4sailn View Post
    Same boat, but turning this ship around STAT.

P.S. "Head hunger" is a very real and ugly thing. Keep cut up and sliced veggies close by! If you have it prepared, you'll grab it. (Much better than Skinny Pop or other slider foods)

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

GREAT to see and hear from you, Ann...You're such a rockstar.

The trainer who showed me around the gym really stressed switching up the routine and not simply hitting the treadmill every damn visit. Tonight I'm going to try the spin class, which she says positively WILL make me cry pools of sweat. (WTF) I am doing heavy cardio twice a week, but then a couple Zumba classes in the middle for FUN! I told the instructor, "I don't DO a salsa, lady, I EAT salsa."

Thank you for never wavering on your messages of support. I tried to reinvent parts of a rock solid wheel...aaaaaand now I'm back to basics.

Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

PamG, I get it!!!! Totally get it. LOL

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Shaw Somers
    Last Activity
    04-14-2017 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks all. The big change is my hunger. Before surgery I was always hungry and the surgery took that away, I actually had to remind myself to eat. But over the last 6 months or so my hunger has returned and I am now permanently hungry again which is driving me nuts.

I can't do much exercise as I am disabled but I try. I was thinking of doing the first few weeks diet again but I can't find what I did with my diet sheets, could anyone on here remind me?

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelleyu21 View Post
    Thanks all. The big change is my hunger. Before surgery I was always hungry and the surgery took that away, I actually had to remind myself to eat. But over the last 6 months or so my hunger has returned and I am now permanently hungry again which is driving me nuts.

I can't do much exercise as I am disabled but I try. I was thinking of doing the first few weeks diet again but I can't find what I did with my diet sheets, could anyone on here remind me?
    Any exercise you can do? "Sit and be Fit" that is on TV in the morning? Water workouts if you have availability to a pool? Maybe just light weights at home? It really helps with the weight loss, and is fun too.

I'm hungry too, so sad that came back! I wouldn't go back to those first few weeks, just eat how we should, protein first, then veggies, drink a lot of water, don't drink with meals, etc. No need to go back to liquids only in my opinion. (That would REALLY make me hungry, where some chicken will fill me up really quick!)

19. Said thanks: