Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default The beginning

So I am still in the very beginning stage of this process. I have been to several appointments and have been to my first round of classes for behavior, diet, & exercise. I have 3 more rounds each of those classes and several more appointments to go. What I really like about how Kaiser has set this up is that the classes are in a group setting and you are with the same group of people every time so you build friendships and a support system of people going through the exact same process as you. It is incredibly comforting to have that. Everyone in my group has a different story and different issues with this one common goal...to get healthy and lose weight. I have been battling my weight for more than half of my life. I am 38 years old now and I'm starting to develop issues. I have moderately high blood pressure and I am pre-diabetic. I have 4 young children at home and I would love nothing more than to be around to see my great grandchildren so I need to make a change, big time. My pivotal moment in my weight gain was after I had an abortion. I was a teenager and very young and had no real guidance in that department. My family never talked about things like that. I was living away from home at the time, staying with my grandparents. So after this incredibly traumatic event a nurse had suggested I get the depo provera shot. At the time neither the doctor or nurses ever explained to me the possible side effects. One of them being severe weight gain. My body is the type that is something can make you gain weight, it WILL make me gain weight. So, in a 6 month time frame I gained almost 90 pounds. It was insane to turn into this entirely different person in such a short time. I was always on the thick side but never fat. From that point on until this day though, I was fat. My weight slowly continued on an upward journey from having children and a desk job. I love food and dislike exercise so that doesn't help things, lol. I wish I could say I drink 10 sodas a day and eat nothing but MCDonalds and this is why I'm fat. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me I am one of those essential oil using, tree hugging, non-gmo women lol. I cook healthy most of the time, I don't drink alcohol very often, I very rarely ever get fast food. So why am I so fat? I have issues with portion control. I am always hungry. Sometimes I will eat before I go out to eat with people just so I don't eat so much in front of people. It makes me feel sad writing that. It makes it more real. I am incredibly sedentary. I can sit on the couch and watch tv with the best of them. I also sit all day at my desk. I am recognizing now the kind of damage I am doing to myself. The more I sit, the less I can stand. I get winded walking to the car. I have a lot of things to change and the more I look to change the more I find I need to change. This is a good thing. This recognizing phase is a real eye opener. I can't keep ignoring these things. My pretending none of this is my fault is only hurting myself. I'm only hurting myself when I lie on my My Fitness Pal app by only inputting half of my food in my food diary. Who do I think I'm kidding? Like if I don't enter it, it's not real. I am my own worst enemy. I am hoping and praying that this process helps me get out of my own way because I am my own worst enemy right now. I am killing myself. I don't want to die. I want to live and enjoy my children, and their children, and their childrens children. I want to enjoy my husband and my friends. I want to enjoy things I used to love like surfing, and hiking. I want to be able to tie my damn shows without it being a project. I want to fly on a plane without worrying myself to death if the seat belt will fit or if someone will complain about sitting next to me and make me buy another ticket. I want to sit in a plastic chair without wondering if it will snap under my weight in the middle of a party. So, I am on this journey to lose half of myself. I'm not going to miss her!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The beginning

You've found the right place here for informative information and support. I'm a couple months away from surgery too, and am in the nutrition classes and on the diet the surgeon has us on, along with the push to exercise NOW. I need to move , as in physical activity, and today my stair step (platform) arrived with a DVD; and my Zumba DVD's arrived too. Five years ago I was a Zumba queen, going 4 days a week and loved it. That was during one of my '10 minutes of being thinner' period, literally. Since then, I've gained 90 pounds. 90! I'm taller, so I could hide the flab a little, but it's there. And it's GOING to go!

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Julie,
    Welcome!
    You should no feel guilty about being obese. Obesity is a sickness and it's not just a question of willpower. Society is making people ashamed of themselves because they are fat, a few hundred years ago people were proud of being fat because it was showing they were wealthy!
    I see that you are in Hawaii, if your ancestors are from there too, you have a higher risk of being obese because it's in your genes.
    I was obese for twenty years (also in my genes), tried everything and it never worked. For the first time in twenty years I'm able to walk more, Last week I walked 8 miles and it didn't feel like I was going to die! I haven't reach my goal yet, being a slow loser it will take longer than one year, but things did improve so much in less than one year!

When You will get the surgery, after six months you will be able to exercise more. You will be able to get into a plane and not feel ashamed about your body.
    I do know where you are coming from.

Just forget about the guilt, try to be positive because you are doing the right thing for you and your family. Going for bariatric surgery is not easy for anyone, for me it was the only solution and I'm glad I did. It probably saved me from an early death.
    Right now try your best to exercise to your level, don't hurt yourself. Swimming is safer when we are big, and there's good videos on Sparkpeople to help with exercising with injury.
    Be kind to yourself, it's important.
    Take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Big hugs. Brutal honesty isn't easy but very necessary. Self reflection and focus on what changes we need to make. The sleeve is a wonderful tool and you recognizing the changes you need to make is going to help you. Making little changes now will help you on your path. It's not always easy but it is so worth it. Just remember it's a lifestyle change. We can't rely on the sleeve alone. We have to work it so it'll work for us. Change our mindset and behaviors. You can do this. You're worth it.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information and support here. I appreciate your candid introduction and wish you all the best as you continue on your journey to a healthier you.
    Bagawk!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Julie, welcome.

It's that kind of honesty you need right now. Honesty and transparency with yourself will continue to let you see how you support and how you hinder your own self-care.

In my experience, it's ALL about self-care. And self-love. And getting rid of the lies and untruths we were told or told ourselves and then turned into beliefs.

It's time to unload the baggage and burn it.

Very best wishes to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87