Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Default Acid reflux and GERD

Hi all,
    I'm currently doing a 6 month supervised weight loss program, with my 6th month being just one week away! Woo hoo!
    I've been struggling with frequent heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD since my early 20's, so more than 10 years. Right now, I take Zantac and prescription Dexilant on a daily basis to help manage my symptoms. But, I still have breakthrough reflux issues a few times per week. I wanted to get the gastric sleeve surgery, but I had been warned about the likelihood of it worsening acid reflux and heartburn. So, I asked my doctors if gastric bypass would be a better option. They didn't seem to think either procedure had a better chance of this not happening, versus the other. I also had an upper endoscopy done, just to make sure everything was stable (which it was). So, I am proceeding with the sleeve. But, I still worry that the reflux will worsen with the surgery.
    So, I'd just like to ask you all what your opinion is? Did you suffer from really bad reflux before surgery, that got better after the surgery? Or did the surgery cause it to increase? Or did you never have issues until after the surgery?
    Also, what steps can I take now to avoid reflux issues after surgery? I've been working on eating slower and chewing my food more. Plus, I've decreased the amount of food I eat, but it's not helped a whole lot. I'm just so worried that I'll have the surgery and things will get worse. Thoughts are welcome! Thanks so much!
    Dee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2017 12:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Acid reflux and GERD

After surgery I dealt with reflux and have to take a daily SSI, I take omepraxol and never miss a dose. To me the daily SSI doesn't bother me and the benefits of the surgery way weight out the daily pill.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually, I've read many, many times on WLS message boards that bypass surgery is the WLS of choice for those who already suffer badly from reflux.

And for those who, post-sleeve, acquire very bad reflux a revision to a gastric bypass is often done.

Very odd to me that your surgeon(s) wouldn't be familiar with these issues and options.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Needleman
    Last Activity
    04-30-2017 11:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Never had a problem with acid reflux prior to the VSG. I was put on Omeprazole for 3 months (twice a day) after surgery. The day after I ran out, had horrible reflux, which only became worse when eating, drinking, or lying down. The prescription was renewed and I am down to 1 pill a day, however, If I go for more than a day without the reflux comes back with a vengeance. My doctor said that "some" patients develop gerd after the sleeve and do have to take daily meds thereafter. I know that the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is not recommended for anyone whom suffers from reflux but instead Bypass.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times

Hi,
    Yes, I was very surprised too that my surgeons still preferred the sleeve. If the sleeve does cause my symptoms to increase, would I be able to switch to a bypass later down the road?

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had some reflux issues prior to surgery as I had a hiatal hernia. It has definitely increased since surgery but I have been able to manage it with medications. But since yours sounds so much more severe, I would be a little concerned that your surgeon is going to do the sleeve versus bypass. Does it possibly have anything to do with the insurance requirement?? I don't know if there is anything special about your insurance requirements. Good luck.

Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times

I don't think it is due to insurance, I think they just feel that overall the sleeve has less long term complications. I go for a visit with the nurse practitioner on Thursday, so I will mention my concerns again. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Gastric Sleeve Member Doodle_mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Sherman Yu
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I had some reflux issues prior to surgery as I had a hiatal hernia. It has definitely increased since surgery but I have been able to manage it with medications. But since yours sounds so much more severe, I would be a little concerned that your surgeon is going to do the sleeve versus bypass. Does it possibly have anything to do with the insurance requirement?? I don't know if there is anything special about your insurance requirements. Good luck.
    Christie,

Did they fix the hernia during surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Ann, that is exactly what I was going to post. When I discussed surgery options with my surgeon, he suggested the sleeve because I didn't have heartburn issues and those with heartburn do better with a bypass. I was on omeprazol for a few months but now I'm fine. I get the occasional heartburn but it's rare.

Doodle_Mom, they discovered a hiatal hernia when they performed my sleeve and they fixed it while they were in there, as well as did a liver biopsy. Actually, my surgeon noted on my chart that it was the worst hernia he had ever seen, and that's saying something since he's been performing surgery for over two decades! I think most surgeon's offices have you sign a form where you indicate that if they find something like a hernia, they can fix it while you are already on the operating table. There is usually also a section where you indicate that if they can't do the agreed procedure, that you want them to do a different one if possible. I indicated that any hernias found or biopsies needed could be done while I was getting my sleeve, and indicated that if a sleeve was not possible, I would be okay with a bypass but not a gastric band.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

D6 I have suffered from GERD for 20 plus years now, mine was so bad before being diagnosed that my stomach acid would get into my lungs spent weeks in a hospital before they finally figured out what was wrong. Since having my sleeve done I am taking 2 omeprazole a day and 1 reglan and have had zero issues with heartburn so far granted I am still early in the post op process.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

17. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

I had the same concern since I had been on Nexium for decades. I had the sleeve and continued to take the medication until sometime after my weight loss. Eventually I cut way back and then realized I didn't need it at all. I figured it would catch up with me and I would have to start it up again, but I haven't. The only time I get it a bit is directly related to acidic food/drinks or if I overeat. I'm very happy with the results. It is kind of a reminder to keep things in check. I don't want to start adding medications back into my daily routine again.

19. Said thanks: