Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Normal

Gastric Sleeve Member KidEmerson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    (REVISION SURGEON) Dr. Ian Soriano (Upenn)
    Last Activity
    01-28-2018 02:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Is This Normal

Hey All,

I had to take another trip to the ER. It seems my stomach rejects everything. From water to tea and liquid isopure it all makes me vomit almost immediately. Now I'm constantly nauseous and over the past few days I've been getting physically weaker. ER chief resident surgeon says it's normal. But my question is how the hell is this normal if I can't eat or drink ANYTHING. I'm really at the end of my rope here because I have a constant bad taste.

Current meds:
    Zofran
    Stool softener
    Prevacid

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is This Normal

Post-op I was vomiting for three days non stop. But I was still at the hospital and had an IV for fluids. Then I was very nauseous for at least six months and it got better gradually. I do suspect that my PPI (lansoprazole) was one of the reason for nausea because as soon as I was able to lower the dosage, my nausea got better too, the very same day. But my surgeon did warn me about nausea as a side effect of the surgery and he was right.

I took "MediNatura, BHI, Nausea" for months, it did help a lot. It's homeopathic, there's no side effect.
    To be able to drink I had to mix juice with water for several days (surgeon orders) or only drink something with substance like herbal tea or chicken broth.
    Little sips only. Around my third month I could drink plain water but only iced cold.

You will get there!! It's hard and it seems that it takes for ever to get better but you will get better.
    Try to avoid any strong smells around you. I didn't wear perfume for months and my husband had to stop wearing his around me!! For months I cooked a lot with my pressure cooker because that way I was not smelling anything and it was the only way I could cook without feeling sick!

Nausea is a commune side effect after a sleeve. I'm 11 months out and still can feel nauseous once in a while. But nothing compare to those first months. Take it easy and try new protein powders, or new vitamins....I changed many times but sometimes after a few weeks I had to change again.
    The best way to cope is to stay hydrated and stay away from fat and too much sugar. Protein usually goes down easier. When you will be eating soft food, bites the size of a peanut only! Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

This does happen for some people. I only get nauseous when I overeat. Definitely sip. And for a lot of people water is difficult. I find that while I crave water (I have always been a big water drinker), I can drink other liquids quicker than water. I struggle with water. I'm 8 1/2 weeks out and that is getting better. The first weeks I could only sip frequently or I felt nauseous. I did get relief from my anti nausea meds, though. As Sandra said, try sipping. Some people handle warm liquids better than cold ones. Try broth. See if your tummy can handle that. Also, with all the nausea and vomiting you may be getting dehydrated. Make sure you replenish your electrolytes. Try PowerAde Zero, Vitamin Water, Coconut water, Pedialyte or smart water. These are all low sugar and recommended to replenish electrolytes when we are getting dehydrated. Try drinking them at different temperatures to see if your tummy can handle them any better. I'm pulling for you. Please keep us posted.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Post-op I was vomiting for three days non stop. But I was still at the hospital and had an IV for fluids. Then I was very nauseous for at least six months and it got better gradually. I do suspect that my PPI (lansoprazole) was one of the reason for nausea because as soon as I was able to lower the dosage, my nausea got better too, the very same day. But my surgeon did warn me about nausea as a side effect of the surgery and he was right.

I took "MediNatura, BHI, Nausea" for months, it did help a lot. It's homeopathic, there's no side effect.
    To be able to drink I had to mix juice with water for several days (surgeon orders) or only drink something with substance like herbal tea or chicken broth.
    Little sips only. Around my third month I could drink plain water but only iced cold.

You will get there!! It's hard and it seems that it takes for ever to get better but you will get better.
    Try to avoid any strong smells around you. I didn't wear perfume for months and my husband had to stop wearing his around me!! For months I cooked a lot with my pressure cooker because that way I was not smelling anything and it was the only way I could cook without feeling sick!

Nausea is a commune side effect after a sleeve. I'm 11 months out and still can feel nauseous once in a while. But nothing compare to those first months. Take it easy and try new protein powders, or new vitamins....I changed many times but sometimes after a few weeks I had to change again.
    The best way to cope is to stay hydrated and stay away from fat and too much sugar. Protein usually goes down easier. When you will be eating soft food, bites the size of a peanut only! Good luck and take care!
    Thanks
    They've decided to admit me. This is my 3rd trip to the ER and despite the mess my condition is worsening. They believe that the staples in my stomach are causing the brain to perceive poison or hazardous materials so it's vomiting everything I take in. I'm constantly salivating and even threw up with the person still on the phone taking my info for the surgeon. I understand this is part of the process but this stage even the surgeon said this is concerning. It's a bit abnormal. Please forgive any typos I am on my cell phone in the ER.

I truly appreciate you all because you've calmed my fears significantly. I don't regret the surgery and I know this is a stumbling block.
    I will update everyone in the AM

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Sending love and healing vibes. I'm going to keep you present in my thoughts and prayers.

I know it's easy for me to say to Try to Stay positive, but ask a lot of questions for your peace of mind.

Hugs!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm glad they decided to investigate further and admit you. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Hugs.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Thank you all!! You rock. And my surgeon is up and on his way here. I didn't want to be a burden but after just vomiting again about 3 minutes ago it's best he here.

And to anyone reading this considering the surgery have faith and go through with it. My body is responding this way because this is how this ol tank responds. My stomach is a group of union guys/gals who can take on any new job, the foreman just jumps the gun. He's been in charge of my stomach for 37 years so nothing gets done without his say so. I hope this metaphor makes sense lol.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

It's best if you stay in hospital until you can safely drink and not vomit. During the first three days at the hospital they injected anti nausea medication in my IV each time I was vomiting.....basically all day. Still took three full days to completely stop. And the first drink I could keep in my stomach was apple juice mixed with water. I don't even like apple juice but that was the only thing I could keep in my stomach how weird!

Isopure the drinks make me really nauseous and the protein powder gave me diarrhea, but I do have an issue with whey protein, same happened with organic whey from other brands. You should write a journal about what you drink and eat and what is your body reaction, that way you can know what will trigger nausea/vomiting. Try to have only one thing at a time.

The saliva issue I had that too for several months if drinking or eating a little too fast or something my stomach didn't like (no more caulifliwer, broccoli or pepper bell for months...it is coming back to normal too now).
    Our GI track is messed up after surgery and my surgeon told me before surgery that our stomach does produce several other hormones besides the ghrelin (hunger hormone) so it can take a while to adjust. There's not many studies about those hormones so far so my surgeon didn't know much, but he kind of guessed from my health history I would be the "vomiting one"..

It would be really unfortunate if you have an allergy to titanium, apparently it is extremely rare....I was concerned about that too because I have several metal allergies but my surgeon was sure I would be fine...at the end he was right.
    Right after surgery my skin was really itchy because it was so dry since I was not eating any fat, I used a lot of body lotion and aloe vera, it got better. I was wondering if that was not a sign of an allergic reaction but it was not.

Sending you my best wishes for a fast recovery. It is a difficult time but your doctors should be able to help you better if you are in hospital. Good luck and take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    It's best if you stay in hospital until you can safely drink and not vomit. During the first three days at the hospital they injected anti nausea medication in my IV each time I was vomiting.....basically all day. Still took three full days to completely stop. And the first drink I could keep in my stomach was apple juice mixed with water. I don't even like apple juice but that was the only thing I could keep in my stomach how weird!

Isopure the drinks make me really nauseous and the protein powder gave me diarrhea, but I do have an issue with whey protein, same happened with organic whey from other brands. You should write a journal about what you drink and eat and what is your body reaction, that way you can know what will trigger nausea/vomiting. Try to have only one thing at a time.

The saliva issue I had that too for several months if drinking or eating a little too fast or something my stomach didn't like (no more caulifliwer, broccoli or pepper bell for months...it is coming back to normal too now).
    Our GI track is messed up after surgery and my surgeon told me before surgery that our stomach does produce several other hormones besides the ghrelin (hunger hormone) so it can take a while to adjust. There's not many studies about those hormones so far so my surgeon didn't know much, but he kind of guessed from my health history I would be the "vomiting one"..

It would be really unfortunate if you have an allergy to titanium, apparently it is extremely rare....I was concerned about that too because I have several metal allergies but my surgeon was sure I would be fine...at the end he was right.
    Right after surgery my skin was really itchy because it was so dry since I was not eating any fat, I used a lot of body lotion and aloe vera, it got better. I was wondering if that was not a sign of an allergic reaction but it was not.

Sending you my best wishes for a fast recovery. It is a difficult time but your doctors should be able to help you better if you are in hospital. Good luck and take care.

Thanks! I will know soon enough. I used to be able to tolerate cranberry juice but that's now a no go. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm glad your surgeon is there and I hope he's able to help you find a remedy for your tummy woes. Hang in there.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cole
    Last Activity
    04-29-2017 09:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

are u doing any better? sorry u feel so bad. my surgery is in 8 days and i am a little scared. i wish u the very best. stay in contact.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuri
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 644 Times
    Blog Entries

You're in my prayers and thoughts...let us know
    So Glad you kept going to Hospital

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

You're 2 wks out. Def should be able to keep something down by now. Keep us updated.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I'm glad your surgeon is there and I hope he's able to help you find a remedy for your tummy woes. Hang in there.
    The surgical team walks in, says if you can drink water we won't have to give you upper GI which is a complete contradiction to what they said last night. After all that's why they admitted me.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
    are u doing any better? sorry u feel so bad. my surgery is in 8 days and i am a little scared. i wish u the very best. stay in contact.
    Don't be scared!! Just be informed. Upenn did not prepare me for these complications. They just didn't cover the variety of complications. For the most part I think I just had a few setbacks.