Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-18-2017 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default who here has been re-sleeved?

Would really like to know how it went for you and how you are doing now.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/08/2016
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    09-15-2018 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: who here has been re-sleeved?

I was re-sleeved by Dr Almanza last year. For me it was not worth it. Was at 176 prior, when I came home was at 199 and have went down to 149. Went into it thinking it would basically follow the same path as the first surgery.....NOT! Post surgery went fine, no complications. Why I regret having it done is that the reflux dramatically increased from occasional to daily to multiple times during the day. My energy level which was extremely high after the first surgery is minimal to nill now! My sex drive which was fabulous after the first is at the point of "I don't care if I do"! All labs are normal, food intake is normal. Protein amounts are difficult to achieve on a steady basis. There are a couple others on here that I have talked with initially but have lost track of them. I am going to try to get in touch with them and see if they also are experiencing what I am. Prior to the re-sleeve I also tried finding anyone who had it done for advice and no one responded. Why I had it done?....had the money, figured it would get me to my goal and why not?...it would be like the first surgery so I had no worries! I was very wrong and regret doing it now. But, it is done and I have to live with it and adjust my lifestyle is all I can do.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    TLGgirl
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-17-2018 12:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 335 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the re-sleeve by Dr. Almanza and continuously losing weight. Are these issues really related to the results of the surgery? You've lost weight and I understand the reflux. However, I'm not understanding how some of your complaints are a result of the surgery.

Surgery date
    02/08/2016
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, I do believe they are a result of having the re-sleeve. This is my experience and like anything...I am sure each person has their own story. That is the point of this forum.....hear the different stories, ask questions and make your own decisions. Dr Almanza is a good Dr. Both surgeries he performed I got through it like a champ without any complications. I continue to loose weight, in fact I have lost 7lbs in the last 2wks. But like other people, I would like to hear from other re-sleevers to hear their experiences and how they are now and if they have any differences. Exactly how these are related to the surgery I am not a Dr and cannot say...all I know is that if nothing in my life changed except the surgery, then it must be related somehow. Bodies react differently, no one is the same. I am not saying this is what will occur if you get re-sleeved....just saying...this has been my experience. I am still very happy with my initial decision to be sleeved. It gave me a chance to enjoy life that I never thought I would...or could experience! Every day I look at myself, my life, experiences I have had in the last 3yrs....and smile! And I am sure that will continue. I didn't mean to make it sound as though being re-sleeved ruined my life! It is just something ...looking back....I wish I had not done.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-18-2017 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you very much for replying to my post, like you I have asked this question for months and well it's been like crickets. My original surgery was in 2009 I was 289. I am 185 now can seem to take off a lb so that is why I scheduled a resleeved with dr almanza. My lowest at one point was 139. Way to small for me. I am hoping to stop this weight gain and be a happy 150ish. I know my faults, I know were I lack. Last hurrah.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/08/2016
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Did you know that there are two types of re-sleeves? He cannot tell you which one you will have until he does surgery. One is just a stapleing...they fold the stomach over some and staple it. The other is where a smaller cannula is passed and they actually cut away part of the stomach (like the initial sleeve). A lady I was with had the first type and I had the second. I wish you good luck. Please stay in touch with me and let me know how you are doing.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-09-2017 04:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

I was sleeved on 7/16/2012. I have gained 18lbs in the last 4 months. I'm so freaked out! I emailed my surgeon this morning. I know I need to drink water, instead of soda, eat more protein and quit snacking......oh....and exercise! When I think of ALL of this....I have anxiety! I lost 175lbs from the sleeve. I never gave up soda, water made me sick, I didn't exercise, just was ALOT more active after surgery! I feel like I relied on the tool and not myself!!!

I'm considering re-sleeving.....

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    TLGgirl
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am doing well. I sometimes forget that I had the surgery only 4 weeks ago since I am in no pain, feel energized and not experiencing any issues. I am only able to eat a small amount of food. Perhaps, to quantify it, I cannot eat a cup of food at once. It is a very small amount with chewing and chewing that's required. Also, I am not able to drink while eating. During my first surgery, I never had the restrictions that I have now. I am really pleased with my results so far and finally feel that I will one day reach my goal weight.

The entire experience of going to Mexico and receiving my surgery with Dr. Almanza was great. They were very accommodating and there for me from the time they picked me up from the airport and dropped me off again.

Wishing you the best in your upcoming surgery. Please let me know if you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Taylor32909's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    08/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Domkowski
    Last Activity
    01-12-2017 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Why would yo have to re-sleeve? Did you not lose as much as you wanted? Looks like some of you sabotaged yourselves as you stated you over ate, drank soda, didn't exercise, etc.... What makes you think re-sleeving will help if you didn't do things correctly the first time? The sleeve is a tool and you have to use it the way it was meant to use. It is hard. It takes work. You have to want it and work for it. I lost way more than my Dr. said I would and I have been sick for 3 years from this surgery. I couldn't imagine going through it again especially if I was not going to follow the rules. Not trying to sound mean to anyone I love you all but if you don't work your tool how it is intended to work....it will not work.....no matter how many times you have it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    TLGgirl
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

As a result of the resleeve, I have found the restrictions I have now; I never had before. It wasn't so much that I abused my sleeve, I do not think my doctor made it small enough. I never got sick and could always eat whatever I wanted. My surgeon in Mexico informed me that he would make my sleeve smaller than they do in the US. He also stated that the US will only remove 75-80 percent of your stomach. So if you had a really, really big stomach; the end result could still result in a big stomach. Also, that had to be the case with my initial because I could still eat a McDonald's combo meal (quantifying only) a month after my initial surgery. There was never any restrictions after my surgery in the US. It is quite different now. I cannot eat 1/4 cup of food. I am a month out and know I could not eat a combo meal now. Besides, I really believe the surgeons should have a stomach size for sleeve patients to be success in the US. I have no doubt that I will be successful after my surgery in Mexico.

Gastric Sleeve Member Taylor32909's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    08/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Domkowski
    Last Activity
    01-12-2017 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Oh my!!!! My surgeon made mine very small as I was told by another surgeon I was doing my follow up with since I moved to a different state. After 3 bites my stomach literally hurts.....I cannot eat anymore than that. For example I brought some veggie soup (homemade) to work with me today in a 2.9 cup container and it was about 3/4 full it honestly took me 5 hours to eat it and now I just took my last bite and I feel like I'm going to puke.....it is horrible!!!!!

Surgery date
    01/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quiones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

once you are resleeved do you loose at the same rate as the first sleeve, is recovery the same please HELP!!!!!!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tlggirl View Post
    As a result of the resleeve, I have found the restrictions I have now; I never had before. It wasn't so much that I abused my sleeve, I do not think my doctor made it small enough. I never got sick and could always eat whatever I wanted. My surgeon in Mexico informed me that he would make my sleeve smaller than they do in the US. He also stated that the US will only remove 75-80 percent of your stomach. So if you had a really, really big stomach; the end result could still result in a big stomach. Also, that had to be the case with my initial because I could still eat a McDonald's combo meal (quantifying only) a month after my initial surgery. There was never any restrictions after my surgery in the US. It is quite different now. I cannot eat 1/4 cup of food. I am a month out and know I could not eat a combo meal now. Besides, I really believe the surgeons should have a stomach size for sleeve patients to be success in the US. I have no doubt that I will be successful after my surgery in Mexico.
    This is really interesting as I never knew that sleeves could be made too big, I thought they were all kind of similar so it explains why people have problems. It must be really hard if you don't feel the restriction. I think it is easy for people to say its your own fault and you mustn't have followed the rules but it must be hard if your sleeve is not small enough! Best of luck to re sleevers as we don't know the whole story and I wish you much sucess second time around :-)

21. Said thanks: