Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    06-15-2017 02:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Anxiously counting down the days!

Hi all, my name is Jessie. I'm sure my story is similar to most people here. I've been overweight most of my life, as far back as I can remember. Diet, exercise, lose a little, rebound, regain what was lost and then some. As I've seen a few others post here, I'm a nurse. I'm tired of being tired and in pain at the end of the workday. Tired of everything hurting always actually, neck, back, hips, legs, feet, etc. I'm on a first name basis with my chiropractor due to the constant back pain. And, as everyone knows, the constant pain makes it extremely difficult to exercise or want to do other things. There are so many things in life that I want to do that the weight holds me back from.

So, after much consideration and discussion with several friends/family who have taken this plunge, my surgery date is 12/19/16. I've read all the literature he's given me, talked to those I know who have had it done, read about it online, watched some shows regarding the surgery...and, feel informed. And, yet, people keep telling me to ask questions. I can't think of any questions! At least, none that haven't been answered already. What should I be asking that I'm not? lol

Today is day 1 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I'm so worried I won't be able to stick with it. Everywhere a person looks, there's food! TV, radio, newspaper, driving down the highway...there's no escape!! Today, so far so good...but, there's still several days...and, A LOT of hours left to go. Any suggestions on how to stay on track with this liquid diet??
    Jessie

*Always stay humble and kind*

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    12/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

Default Re: Anxiously counting down the days!

Hello Jessie I just want to say hello and yes it is hard I started my pre-op liquid diet 6 days ago I'm on day 7 I'm sticking to it because I'm thinking about what is to come so I keep telling myself you could do it and I'm telling you that you can do it as well you and I have the same surgical day although I'm having mine in Tijuana good luck keep in touch
    296l lbs highest weight
    284 lbsl. Post pre op diet
    M1 258 (-26)
    M2
    M3
    M4
    M5

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NrseJessie's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, that's helpful. Our dates are actually a couple of days apart, mines 12/19. But, it's nice to chat with someone who's in a similar place as me. Yesterday wasn't so bad. Today, so far so good but I'm starting to get a pretty bad headache and I'm wondering if it's related to the lack of food, lol. I keep telling myself, it's for a great cause!
    Jessie

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Debra jo
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. LEE
    Last Activity
    10-27-2021 06:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah Jessie,we have the same date..... I also started pre-op today also really went well but I drink lots of water on a daily basis for yrs. So that should not be a problem. We are pushing surgery cause my policy at work will not cover after the 1st of the year...so Christmas will be a restful one!!

So I have a stupid question.what is an Avatar and how do I add ?
    ☝Never give up!!☝

Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, Westy. I'm a big water drinker as well. Gave up soda 4 years ago and mostly only drink water. Occasionally an energy drink (while at work), sweet tea, or margaritas! lol. It's not the fluid intake that's difficult, it's the lack of food intake! Seriously though, so far so good. A few hunger pains but nothing crazy drastic. Had a major headache yesterday and was kind of cranky but that totally could've been work related.

I believe an avatar is basically the same as your profile picture, just a picture you want to represent yourself with. I chose to use an actual picture of myself. I received an email when I signed up a few days ago with links on adding an avatar, your surgery date, etc. Try clicking the gray box where your picture should go and see if it'll give you any information on how to add one.
    Jessie

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sharon
    Surgery date
    12/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Huddleston
    Last Activity
    03-21-2018 03:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Congratulations, I'm scheduled for the 20th.

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Good Luck Jessie. Your two weeks will go by quickly just focus on other things. The key is keep your mind active during your awake hours and go to bed early and get plenty of sleep. This will help you curb your hunger. Don't fret if you break your fast, just restart and continue down the road. The big key is break the sugar and carbs to shrink your liver.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member healthyme3157's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Spann
    Last Activity
    09-01-2017 05:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Welcome. I just had surgery 10 days ago. I have had a great experience. I only had to do 2 days of clear liquids. I just stayed focus on the goal of losing weight. I am down 17 lb in 10 days. I am doing what the Doctor's tell me to do by the letter. I have never been able to stick with anything as well as I am doing now. You will need to stick to the plan to achieve your goal for surgery. Wishing you the best. Keep us posted.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member TarotAces's Avatar
    Name
    Odessa
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-04-2020 11:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 527 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NrseJessie View Post
    Hi all, my name is Jessie. I'm sure my story is similar to most people here. I've been overweight most of my life, as far back as I can remember. Diet, exercise, lose a little, rebound, regain what was lost and then some. As I've seen a few others post here, I'm a nurse. I'm tired of being tired and in pain at the end of the workday. Tired of everything hurting always actually, neck, back, hips, legs, feet, etc. I'm on a first name basis with my chiropractor due to the constant back pain. And, as everyone knows, the constant pain makes it extremely difficult to exercise or want to do other things. There are so many things in life that I want to do that the weight holds me back from.

So, after much consideration and discussion with several friends/family who have taken this plunge, my surgery date is 12/19/16. I've read all the literature he's given me, talked to those I know who have had it done, read about it online, watched some shows regarding the surgery...and, feel informed. And, yet, people keep telling me to ask questions. I can't think of any questions! At least, none that haven't been answered already. What should I be asking that I'm not? lol

Today is day 1 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I'm so worried I won't be able to stick with it. Everywhere a person looks, there's food! TV, radio, newspaper, driving down the highway...there's no escape!! Today, so far so good...but, there's still several days...and, A LOT of hours left to go. Any suggestions on how to stay on track with this liquid diet??
    I completely understand how you're feeling. Look at it this way, it's only 2 weeks of the pre-op diet, and AFTER the surgery it will get SOO much easier. Hang in there girl. We're here for you.

You got this!
    HW: 297+lbs ( stopped weighing myself, it was probably 318 ish)
    Pre-op: 280 lbs (-17 lbs)

CW: 142 lbs -Down 178 lbs from my highest actual weight!

Week 1: 270
    M1: 257
    Week 6: 255
    M2: 252
    Week 10: 241
    M3: 237
    Week 14: 234

GW: 145 lbs

Name
    pat
    Surgery date
    01/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Alberto Michele
    Last Activity
    09-03-2017 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times

my surgery is not until January I always remind myself that it will not last forever and that it will go by so fast and all just a memory.

HW - 251
    Pre op diet - 242
    day of surgery -231
    One month - 212. -39 lbs
    Two months - 202. - 10 lbs. to date total 49

Eight months. 180 Total lost to date. 71 pounds

Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks ghost_ryder, that's what I've been trying to do. Had a preplanned outing with friends yesterday, some of whom do not know I'm scheduled for surgery, and of course, they wanted to go out for a HUGE meal. I was able to work my way around it and only had soup. I've been doing way better with this liquid thing than I thought I would! It's extremely satisfying to know I can do this. Today is day 5 and still going strong!
    Jessie

Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conder.sc View Post
    Congratulations, I'm scheduled for the 20th.
    Congratulations conder.sc! It's wonderful finding people on the same schedule as me!
    Jessie

Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by healthyme3157 View Post
    Welcome. I just had surgery 10 days ago. I have had a great experience. I only had to do 2 days of clear liquids. I just stayed focus on the goal of losing weight. I am down 17 lb in 10 days. I am doing what the Doctor's tell me to do by the letter. I have never been able to stick with anything as well as I am doing now. You will need to stick to the plan to achieve your goal for surgery. Wishing you the best. Keep us posted.
    Thanks! Congratulations on your surgery and I wish you much success in the future. I'm on day 5 of liquids...with 11 more to go. But, like you, I plan to do what the doctor tells me by the letter. I'm determined for this to be a success. I'll keep you posted, and you do the same! I look forward to hearing about your journey.
    Jessie

Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TarotAces View Post
    I completely understand how you're feeling. Look at it this way, it's only 2 weeks of the pre-op diet, and AFTER the surgery it will get SOO much easier. Hang in there girl. We're here for you.

You got this!
    Thanks TarotAces! That's what I keep telling myself. And, it's so helpful to talk with people here who are going through the same thing, or have went through it. I'm not sure how accurate it is because it seems impossible for it to be accurate after only 4 days, but, according to the dr's scale yesterday, I'm already down 10 lbs on this pre-op diet. Hopefully, that number keeps going down!!
    Jessie

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Remember the pre op diet is necessary for liver shrinkage. If your liver is too big it can complicate the surgery. As hard as it was I did mine as well. Probably the first time I stuck to a diet exclusively. As for advice, have you thought about your post op vitamin regimen? With you being a nurse you're going to want to make sure you have energy and stay healthy. I take quite a few and I feel great. I take a Bariatric Advantage multi vitamin, Bariatric Advantage calcium chew, B12 gummy 2x a day, 10,000 mcg biotin, Prilosec (helps with heartburn and false hunger pangs), and a stool softener. Take progress pics and measurements weekly. When you get back on solids you will fill up so fast it's more crucial to plan out your protein intake. Eat slowly or you'll feel discomfort. Also, if you eat quickly you may overeat without realizing and that can cause cramping and vomiting. Seriously I am at 2 tablespoons and I'm 5 weeks post op. Reach out whenever you need guidance or support. And get ready for a wonderful journey.