Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    07-13-2017 01:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: Has any kept surgery a secret

I'm with American I told my family and coworkers because I had to take vacation days, but I tried not to tell alot of people before the surgery because I was going to Mexico and I did not want to hear negativity and freak myself out even more. After surgery my mouth just rambles. Hehe. My name is Scheryl and my surgery was October 7th and I've lost 50 pounds. (Acting like part of wls meetings)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Ali Alhamdani UK
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I told my mum and sister and have had negative comments, the silent treatment, snide comments etc. I told my best friend and she was the one who has encouraged me and supported me all the way. She came to my appointment when I got given my surgery date and has already booked leave to come with me on DDay. Since their reaction I've decided not to tell my family until a week beforehand and that's only because I need them to keep my kids for me. I've told my boss but not gonna give him my actual date as he has a yappy mouth and I don't like people in my business. I plan to take annual leave and return to work as though nothing has changed, lol

Start weight 142 Kg
    Pre op weight 125 Kg

Month 1
    Month 2
    Month 3
    Month 4
    Month 5
    Month 6

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I have told everyone! I'm an open book about just about everything though. I have had the people warn me that it could be dangerous and to be careful. I've heard horror stories and all that, but I found horror stories on my own with my research. But statistically speaking, it's very safe, even in Mexico where I'm going. I made my decision and my fiance and kids are supportive. I know I'm taking a risk, but I'm taking a risk everyday that I wake up being 100 plus pounds overweight and feeling helpless to do anything about it. I have done the diets and lost weight, I gained it back. Even though I lost weight, I was still like 40 pounds overweight. I need some help, I'm an addictions counselor, I know I have a slight addiction to food. But I think my biggest problem is portion control. I think of this like getting sober, if you want to to work and you are ready, then it will work. I'm ready, I'm going to do the surgery and I'm going to be successful and it doesn't matter if negative people want to judge me, they don't have any power over me. I have the power and I refuse to let anyone take that away from me. I'm changing my life for me... BTW, it's ok to take care of yourself first, if you don't take some pleasures and do things just for you, you don't have anything to give to your loved ones for long. You can't give away what you don't have, self care is a good thing... I'm taking care of me, so I can take better care of my family and friends...

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Well said and a sure sign of health, total health. Physically, emotionally and cognitively.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/09/2016
    Surgeon
    simons
    Last Activity
    12-04-2016 08:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I"m retired and didn't tell only family and best friend. It up to you if tell anyone. but they will notice after a few week something is up. If someone tells me I look like I lose weight I just say thank you, if they ask how I just say cut back on junk food lol. it has worked so far and I was 237 and have lost 63 lbs since may. Good Luck!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I wouldn't tell anyone. I only told a few very close friends, one of which ended up "blabbing" my secret. Not that I care anymore at 3 years out, now people knowing keeps me accountable. I don't want to be the person who lost all their weight and gained it back to be the topic of everyone's gossip. But that first year, no one needs to know.

Hubby wants me to take our daughter's family wedding photo off the wall because I was huge. But no, it was her wedding, that is still me, and it motivates me not to go back to looking like that. My students love looking at me in older yearbooks, and say, "Mrs. B, that is NOT YOU!"

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I wouldn't tell anyone. I only told a few very close friends, one of which ended up "blabbing" my secret. Not that I care anymore at 3 years out, now people knowing keeps me accountable. I don't want to be the person who lost all their weight and gained it back to be the topic of everyone's gossip. But that first year, no one needs to know.

Hubby wants me to take our daughter's family wedding photo off the wall because I was huge. But no, it was her wedding, that is still me, and it motivates me not to go back to looking like that. My students love looking at me in older yearbooks, and say, "Mrs. B, that is NOT YOU!"
    I think I'm going to put a before and after picture of myself on my refrigerator, that's a great idea!

Gastric Sleeve Member TarotAces's Avatar
    Name
    Odessa
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-04-2020 11:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 527 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

I've noticed that those who decide not to tell others they had surgery have the most success with saying they are on a "Ketogenic diet" and exercise plan. People believe the low carb/high protein/no sugar plus exercise plan 'excuse' for having lost soo much weight soo quickly.

Just my 2 cents.
    HW: 297+lbs ( stopped weighing myself, it was probably 318 ish)
    Pre-op: 280 lbs (-17 lbs)

CW: 142 lbs -Down 178 lbs from my highest actual weight!

Week 1: 270
    M1: 257
    Week 6: 255
    M2: 252
    Week 10: 241
    M3: 237
    Week 14: 234

GW: 145 lbs

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/30/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez
    Last Activity
    12-04-2016 06:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Just had surgery november 30th and I'm keeping it a secret only 3 people know I don't want to here negative comments and there opinions I did it for me !!!and yes I'm gonna use the no carb high protein diet excuse that I tried many times but could not loose the weight it will work this time !

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-13-2017 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am so glad you posted this. I do not plan on telling anyone if I decided to go thru with getting a sleeve. other than my husband. My boss at work will need to know but I can trust her to keep the detials of my time off to herself. We will see how I feel down the road.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aiken Yankee's Avatar
    Name
    Bob
    Surgery date
    07/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sean Lee
    Last Activity
    04-23-2017 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I had several "detractors" before surgery. The usual " I know a person who had a friend who's sister-in-law . . bkah, blah, blah". No real facts about pros or cons - just negative hearsay.

After surgery, I told a larger number of people. Heard no negative comments. Most told me about someone they knew personally who had WLS - and was now "a totally changed person." Comments like - "Best thing they could have ever done. "Congratulations!" etc.

As your weight starts to come off, you will hear more and more positive comments. Enjoy the ride. It will be a little bit bumpy for the first few weeks. Just take it slow on your return to solid foods.

Been there - done that - is what this forum is all about!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marney
    Surgery date
    06/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.valezuela
    Last Activity
    03-08-2018 01:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you! I did the same and its been the best decision by far

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marney
    Surgery date
    06/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.valezuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Took a week off didn't even tell my boss,she coul'nt be trusted to keep a secret. I'm so glad I kept it to myself. Just hate negativity! !!

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gagner
    Last Activity
    10-14-2017 11:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I am wishing I had kept the whole thing quiet like you have all have done...I've told my immediate family why I would not be home for Christmas... I'm getting a lot of panicked phone calls asking me not to go through with the surgery... it is not making a difficult decision any easier. I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marney
    Surgery date
    06/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.valezuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Lottie
    I know the whole idea of surgery is frightening.I had surgery in Mexico. Its been 6 months and my life is perfectly normal now.Surgery is always scary but having kidney stones ablated was by far much worse. Put yourself first! When the negativity starts quietly dismiss the discussion and say "my doctor and I have discussed it"and this topic is off limits". I have a twin sister I didn't even share with.It was my birthday present to ME!
    I feel blessed to have gotten a second chance,a redue on my life.No one notices how much less I eat,the weight loss has been very slow so very few people have commeted on that either.Believe it or not people are so busy with their own lives I'm not on anyones radar. I chose not to share because I did'nt want nay-sayers or jealousy to ruin my journey. Best decision Ever! You'll be amazed how quickly you'll bounce back.
    The hardest part for me was the total exhaustion that hit on the second week.I guess my calories were so low while I was on liquids. The very best of wishes to you.2017 will be a fabulous year for you Make the surgery all about getting healthy and don't let anyone rain on your parade. This is no majic bullet as I'm sure you've read.It's a tool and you will have to earn that weight loss!

28. Said thanks: