Last Activity
    01-31-2017 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Newbie

Hello All,

My name is Brittni and I am 27 years old and nine days post op. I had a terrific experience when it comes to the actual surgery. I had very little pain and took very little pain medicine. I feel that my mental state had a lot to do with my recovery because I was determined that I would not let this surgery get me down and set me back. I was walking an hour after I got out of recovery and I had the surgery on a Monday, 11/14 and returned to work on monday 11/21. I am a little worried and anxious because I don't feel as informed as I would like to be. I have lost about eight pounds which I am pretty satisfied with considering it's only been a little more than a week, but I still have so many questions. Will the weight continue to fall off right at first, or is it a gradual thing from the very beginning? I have only been consuming about 300 calories a day and that includes my protein shake. Is this normal at first? I was losing about a pound a day and then all the sudden I was stuck and have been for about 3 or 4 days. I also worry because although I have not been having many cravings and only just started having hunger pains, I also have not felt much of a restriction (still on liquid diet). Is that just because I'm only consuming liquids? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael P Choi
    Last Activity
    04-30-2023 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Newbie

Hi Brittni! As I have been reading, yes the restriction feeling will come once we can eat real food, I too had mine on the 14th and I was at my desk yesterday (No rest for the wicked LOL)

As far as being informed about diet, I went through a medical tourism agency and left with a diet printed from the internet...so I have been doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. I asked my doctor about juicing veggies and fruits for my clear liquid and full liquid weeks, and he said yes, that if I can juice it, I can drink it! So I have been drinking like a queen and getting all my macro nutrients to boot. Watch some food documentaries, ask your friends who are health nuts! I am a vegetarian and live by the "Forks over knives" cookbook. No one really knows how to eat, but we all have to learn, it's very important as our lives depend on it!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brittni
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arthur Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

HI LoriC!
    Thanks so much for your response! It's so neat that we have the same surgery date and our starting weights are similar as well! We can go through this all together! Thank you for that information, I think I will hit up the Big Squeazy which is a fresh, cold press juice place in my town. I am on a full liquid diet now, are you??

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KillaB View Post
    Hello All,

Will the weight continue to fall off right at first, or is it a gradual thing from the very beginning?
    Hi Brittni!

Congrats on your surgery!! wonderful news that you have an easy recovery!!

Don't worry about your weight right now: focus on protein and water. That's the most important at this stage.
    Many people will be dehydrated at some point and it's important to drink all day little by little.

Do you take a PPI? what you describe as hunger pain could be acid reflux.

The most important for the first month post-op is really to rest to feel better. Just follow your guideline and it will be fine. Also don't forget your vitamins!

I know that you are anxious about the weight loss: but look, how long did it take pre-op to lose 8 pounds? probably between one to two months right?
    Weight loss is different for everyone...it will depend on your starting weight, age, hormones, how many diets you did before...the variables are really different from one person to an other. What's important is not how long it will take to get to your goal, but just get there...can be slow (I'm a slow loser) but at the end only the result count!
    But be prepared for stalls. Many have one around week 3. I did too. It's all good, your body needs time to catch up! Stalls are necessary in the process. And weight loss is different with a sleeve. So don't jump on your scale every day. Once or twice a week is enough, no need to stress out for nothing.
    For example: before my sleeve, my longest diet was one year. It took me so long to lose 60 pounds. I never really had long stalls, I was losing little by little every week.
    With the sleeve it's really different. I came back from the hospital with a gain (water retention from my IV) then had many stalls. But I'm ten months out and lost around 94 pounds so far. I'm hopping to lose around 40 more.
    Of course after failing so many diets, at first when I had a stall I felt like something was wrong. But then I realized how fast I lost weight during the first weeks...right now my weight loss is really really slow! but I dont' get discouraged and always look at the bigger picture and how far I've gone in ten months.
    Don't stress over your scale. Stress is bad for weight loss! Try to sleep well too, it does help!

Besides this forum, there's many good books about bariatric surgery, but also great videos on youtube (Dr Matthew Weiner or Dr A for endobariatric).
    Good luck and take cre!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brittni
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arthur Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank You!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brittni
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arthur Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Sandra!
    Thanks so much for all of the information and advice. I am feeling a little down, just because I have only lost twelves pounds and today makes two weeks. Reading your post has made me feel much better! I know it definitely varies depending on so many different factors. 94lbs in 10 months is fabulous!!! If I can do that well I will be able to start looking to maintain. Thanks again for all of the helpful information! I'm so glad to have found this forum! It will definitely help me along in my journey!