Valerie Halpin
    Last Activity
    02-02-2017 10:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The hardest thing I've had to write

I am so glad you posted this. My surgery 12/17/13 and I have gained 12 lbs. I am grateful for the surgery and I would do it a again and again but I need to work at it.

Today is December 10, 2013
    Starting Weight: 251
    Surgery Day Weight: 242
    First Goal: 199 by March 27
    {Update 207 March 27}
    Second Goal 175 by June 30th
    Ultimate goal- 165.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Nita, how are you doing, girl? I hope things are going well.

Since everyone's throwing down their opinions and experiences, here's mine.

First of all, I'm (obviously) a woman. Not a man. And I'm 71 years old. And hot. And I've lost 100 pounds and maintained it for over a year. I'm 2 years, 3 months post-op.

I did NOT eat low-carb to lose my weight. (Tinman, I love you, dude, but please stop saying that!) Yes, I ate plenty of protein (still do), but I was also all about my veggies, fruits and whole grains. And God knows, I do NOT eat low-carb to maintain my weight loss. By not going low-carb to lose weight, I didn't lose super-fast (see my monthly weight-loss records below in my sig block.) However, what I did achieve by eating a good combination of proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains while losing weight was learning how to eat healthy for the rest of my life. That's what worked for me. (Nita, you can read much more detail about what I ate, how much I ate, etc. to lose the weight and to maintain my weight in the two posts linked below in my sig block.)

You can also take this to the bank: Grazing between meals on slider foods (crackers, chips, cookies, ice cream, desserts, sugar-laden coffee drinks, etc.) will destroy every WLS dream. And eating that crap makes you REALLY CRAVE more of that crap. Stop eating it, you won't crave it nearly as much. Stay away from it.

And now to really piss people off, here's what I really think: Everyone is not a special snowflake. Mostly what I see around here when things go south for folks is that they've been goofing around trying to find a work-around in lieu of what they're supposed to be doing so they can indulge their old, destructive eating habits. They can't find or don't even look for new, post-VSG ways to deal with life's stresses without over-eating, so food remains their go-to medication to numb discomfort and pain. Protip: Those feelings don't go away by themselves, and old ways of dealing with them lead back to the same places we lived before.

So on the "food and life's stresses" subject, here's some very sincere advice: I strongly urge anyone who feels they have food / eating challenges to please find a good therapist and let him/her help you figure out how to beat those monsters. I've been seeing a shrink for 2.5 years now. Couldn't have done this nearly so well without that guy on my team.

Seriously, Nita -- would love to hear how things are going for you. Thanks.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nita
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Philip Lou Chin MD
    Last Activity
    12-03-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 81 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Thank you so much for what you have said. At my first 2 week weigh in I was down 8 pounds. I have my next weigh in this wed. I've had 2 days where instead of 1200 I had 1500. I tried not to beat my self up about that. I didn't have any thanksgiving food. Since my daughter was with her dads side of the family and my daddy was at work my mother and I went to the movies. She was very supportive of me

Weight @ Consult: 301 (11/11/16)
    Pre OP Appt: 269 2/28/17
    Surgery Date: 264 3/9/17
    1 Week Post Op: 256.9 3/16/17
    2 Week Post Op: 250.0 3/23/17
    3 Week Post Op: 248.1 3/30/17

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member TarotAces's Avatar
    Name
    Odessa
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-04-2020 11:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 527 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

I just wanted to say that I feel a bit relieved that the post-post-op/rest of my life diet is a high protein low carb (mostly from veg) diet. That's the ONLY diet I've EVER been able to stick to for any length of time. And THIS time around I am aware of my food addiction/emotional eating triggers and have a plan.

I look forward to surgery, but mostly because I think it's the tool that I've been missing every other time I've tried to conquer my food issues. I need enough time to be able to process the crap out and break the addiction physically, AND give me the motivation NOT to slide back into obese habits. The cost of the surgery, coupled with the lengthy period of time in which my stomach will be MUCH smaller than it has been and is now I think are going to be the perfect combination to keep me committed. I want to set myself up to succeed and make the BEST possible use of this tool I will be paying dearly for.

HW: 297+lbs ( stopped weighing myself, it was probably 318 ish)
    Pre-op: 280 lbs (-17 lbs)

CW: 142 lbs -Down 178 lbs from my highest actual weight!

Week 1: 270
    M1: 257
    Week 6: 255
    M2: 252
    Week 10: 241
    M3: 237
    Week 14: 234

GW: 145 lbs

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aiken Yankee's Avatar
    Name
    Bob
    Surgery date
    07/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sean Lee
    Last Activity
    04-23-2017 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

My experience is that as you go through the post-surgery diet protocol (liquid to pureed to solid foods) it's a little like quitting smoking cold turkey. You physically CAN'T eat what you used to, and your taste buds and appetite start adjusting to the new ways. In addition, with that diet progression your body will very quickly tell you when you have overstepped!

I found with my sleeve that the physical feeling of hunger just disappeared, and I had to remind myself to eat at regular times. Best plan is to keep a daily log for a while (at least the first 60-90 days) of everything you eat and drink - including any notes about how you feel. Looking backward at the logs, you will quickly find out what works and what doesn't!

Get into an exercise program as soon as your doctor clears you for it. I now go to the gym for exercise classes three times a week, though I SHOULD be doing more walking, etc. on the off days!

We all wish you best of luck with your upcoming surgery, and will be here to assist along the way.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Nita, how are you doing, girl? I hope things are going well.

Since everyone's throwing down their opinions and experiences, here's mine.

First of all, I'm (obviously) a woman. Not a man. And I'm 71 years old. And hot. And I've lost 100 pounds and maintained it for over a year. I'm 2 years, 3 months post-op.

I did NOT eat low-carb to lose my weight. (Tinman, I love you, dude, but please stop saying that!) Yes, I ate plenty of protein (still do), but I was also all about my veggies, fruits and whole grains. And God knows, I do NOT eat low-carb to maintain my weight loss. By not going low-carb to lose weight, I didn't lose super-fast (see my monthly weight-loss records below in my sig block.) However, what I did achieve by eating a good combination of proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains while losing weight was learning how to eat healthy for the rest of my life. That's what worked for me. (Nita, you can read much more detail about what I ate, how much I ate, etc. to lose the weight and to maintain my weight in the two posts linked below in my sig block.)

You can also take this to the bank: Grazing between meals on slider foods (crackers, chips, cookies, ice cream, desserts, sugar-laden coffee drinks, etc.) will destroy every WLS dream. And eating that crap makes you REALLY CRAVE more of that crap. Stop eating it, you won't crave it nearly as much. Stay away from it.

And now to really piss people off, here's what I really think: Everyone is not a special snowflake. Mostly what I see around here when things go south for folks is that they've been goofing around trying to find a work-around in lieu of what they're supposed to be doing so they can indulge their old, destructive eating habits. They can't find or don't even look for new, post-VSG ways to deal with life's stresses without over-eating, so food remains their go-to medication to numb discomfort and pain. Protip: Those feelings don't go away by themselves, and old ways of dealing with them lead back to the same places we lived before.

So on the "food and life's stresses" subject, here's some very sincere advice: I strongly urge anyone who feels they have food / eating challenges to please find a good therapist and let him/her help you figure out how to beat those monsters. I've been seeing a shrink for 2.5 years now. Couldn't have done this nearly so well without that guy on my team.

Seriously, Nita -- would love to hear how things are going for you. Thanks.

I went back and re-read my post. I can see where the inference would be that you do the low carb thingie. What I really meant to say was that you and Truffles measured and tracked everything slipped between your lips. And, as far as I can tell, you still do. That's not how I lost or continue to maintain.

I have mad respect for you and I also truly believe that if I met you in real life, I would hit on you and hit on you hard....lol. (I know you are hopelessly in love with your husband, but, I would still take a run at you.....)

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Morning all. I find this thread to be something I needed to read today. I had company over the weekend and there was lots of carb laden food in my house. I found myself eating foods mindlessly and today am feeling bloated and not liking myself very much. I notice that I was a mindful eater after surgery as that's a key to my success, but now farther down the road it's getting out of control. I kid myself thinking just a bite of that cake, just one mini piece of candy, etc. but it's adding up. The scale is a tricky thing, it doesn't creep up much in my case, but my clothes are fitting tighter in places that they used to be comfortable and that's my key that my body is "shifting the sands." I also am not exercising as much as I was and that's playing a part. In other words, it's time to "reset" my life plan. I credit high protein, lower carb eating to my success and have to keep that course to maintain. I do notice that the more I eat junk foods, the more I kid myself that I can eat just a little more and a little more; until I've eaten way too much and then beat myself up emotionally. This, for me, is a negative behavior and now that I've "confessed" to it; will amend it to a positive behavior.
    I wish everyone, no matter what program they choose to follow, continued success and happiness!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    William (Bill) Jones
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Ryan Tyner
    Last Activity
    06-12-2017 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts

My first Dr. visit was with a Vietnamese doc that told me he would not do surgery until I lost 50-60 lbs. Plus he told me I would probably die before I lost it. Bedside manner of a rock. Went to another program and doc want me to lose some weight but not the 50-60. I"m down 35 lbs now and go in for surgery a week from today. Feel so much better already - except joint pain from no ibuprofen (yuck). Weight loss can such Catch 22. They want you to lose but you really need the tool of their surgery to get over the hump.

Hang in there and know you can do it.
    HW - 350 4/1/16
    SW - 303 12/12/16

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    Morning all. I find this thread to be something I needed to read today. I had company over the weekend and there was lots of carb laden food in my house. I found myself eating foods mindlessly and today am feeling bloated and not liking myself very much. I notice that I was a mindful eater after surgery as that's a key to my success, but now farther down the road it's getting out of control. I kid myself thinking just a bite of that cake, just one mini piece of candy, etc. but it's adding up. The scale is a tricky thing, it doesn't creep up much in my case, but my clothes are fitting tighter in places that they used to be comfortable and that's my key that my body is "shifting the sands." I also am not exercising as much as I was and that's playing a part. In other words, it's time to "reset" my life plan. I credit high protein, lower carb eating to my success and have to keep that course to maintain. I do notice that the more I eat junk foods, the more I kid myself that I can eat just a little more and a little more; until I've eaten way too much and then beat myself up emotionally. This, for me, is a negative behavior and now that I've "confessed" to it; will amend it to a positive behavior.
    I wish everyone, no matter what program they choose to follow, continued success and happiness!
    you've expressed my situation to a 't'. Once I lose wt, I think I can sneak a few old habits back in....like that mini Hershey's....lol

I've been eating after 7 pm the past week, because I stay up too late and get hungry again. A bad habit.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I went back and re-read my post. I can see where the inference would be that you do the low carb thingie. What I really meant to say was that you and Truffles measured and tracked everything slipped between your lips. And, as far as I can tell, you still do. That's not how I lost or continue to maintain.

I have mad respect for you and I also truly believe that if I met you in real life, I would hit on you and hit on you hard....lol. (I know you are hopelessly in love with your husband, but, I would still take a run at you.....)
    Tinman, I appreciate your affection and your expression of it. But our love is not meant to be. You are much too young for me.

BTW, my husband says he understands how you feel and he admires your ambition.

Ann

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    jerzeygirl, I am offering you my full-on support to build a new plan (like the old plan) and to execute it ruthlessly.

If there's anything I can do to help you in any way, please just ask.

We're stronger together.

Ann

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bndjones View Post
    My first Dr. visit was with a Vietnamese doc that told me he would not do surgery until I lost 50-60 lbs. Plus he told me I would probably die before I lost it. Bedside manner of a rock. Went to another program and doc want me to lose some weight but not the 50-60. I"m down 35 lbs now and go in for surgery a week from today. Feel so much better already - except joint pain from no ibuprofen (yuck). Weight loss can such Catch 22. They want you to lose but you really need the tool of their surgery to get over the hump.

Hang in there and know you can do it.
    Bill, I think you're going to do great! Your attitude and persistence are just what the (good) doctor ordered.

You are going to feel SO MUCH BETTER a few months from now. And then it's just going to get better and better after that.

You've made the right decision -- to have this surgery. It's a freakin' miracle.

Ann

P.S. I love, really love, your sig block tagline.

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I was told to count only protein and liquids. That's all I've done for three years. It works. I don't count anything except liquid and protein. Never have, never will. I add exercise to the equation and everything works our perfectly.

26. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I was told to count only protein and liquids. That's all I've done for three years. It works. I don't count anything except liquid and protein. Never have, never will. I add exercise to the equation and everything works our perfectly.
    BOOM!!

What she said.

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't "count" protein, but I get tons of it every day, often over 100 gms without even trying. Liquid, I get a solid 9 cups (72 oz) a day.

I do count carbs, though, at least during this period of losing. I just added 10 gms of carbs to my days (from 20 to 30 NET carbs).

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193