08/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ganta
    Last Activity
    06-28-2016 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Would gastric sleeve be right for me?

I've got my surgery scheduled in 6 weeks. My surgeon says I'm a good candidate but any friend I've talked about it with has told me not to do it. Family is kind of indifferent almost suppirtive.

Here's my stats:
    Male
    5'8"
    36 bmi

Here are my ailments:
    Moderate sleep apnea
    Diagnosed once with fatty liver. Haven't checked since.
    High colesterol
    High pulse
    High blood pressure
    Gerd, but fine if I don't eat white carbs

My situation
    I could qualify on insurance with my bmi, but my apnea isn't "severe enough". So I'm self paying for single incision gastric sleeve. I wear my weight well, friemds say I'm just "stout" and I'd be the "skinniest" person they'd know to get one.

My history
    I was a skinny kid. Then a teased chunky preteen. Then a scrawny teenager. In my early 20's I began to "fill out" to about 200lbs. I got dumped and worked out, starved myself and got down to 170. Then in another relationship I woke up 3 years later at 235. Did Atkins, got back to 210. After that there was a true nightmare of an engagement and I ballooned back to 235 in a blink of an eye by the time I got dumped. Did crossfit twice a day and wouldn't eat for days at a time to eek back down to 200. Then, you guessed it, another crap relationship and a shoulder injury and I'm at my heaviest. 240 and counting (hey, if I gain 25lbs I can qualify with insurance. So there's a thought. Joking) I have been a heavy drinker the last 7 years but I've quite last month to see if I have the stones to go a year post surgery without alcohol. So far so good. But hasn't made a real difference in weight. Also, low carb controls the gerd bit doesn't put me into ketosis/weight loss anymore.

My thoughts
    I know there are people out there who are in more need of the surgery. My sister got the band but gave up maintaining it. She did get down from morbidly obese, but never got fit. Kind of gave up. So when I heard about this surgery 4 months ago I got a bit misty because it felt like I was seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't have the energy or will to work out for 2 years just to get to "slightly unhealthy" and plateauing for another 2 years before giving up and gaining it all back in 6 months. I've shadowed my skinny friends and ate and drank less than what they did, but nothing. Both parents and all 4 siblings are overweight or obese. I'm probably the 2nd least severe. Father just had to have his colon resectioned. Mom will probably die of a stroke due to blood pressure. I avoid my reflection.

Major Questions/Fears
    Am I just vain and have body issues? Should I do it in your mind?

Minor Questions/Fears (I can always post these separately, not main concern)
    Will my gerd be an issue, worsen after the surgery?
    Will I be dependant on vitamins and prescriptions for life?
    Will I always be battling dehydration?
    Will I have a tougher, problematic geriatric life 25 years from now because of this decision?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Would gastric sleeve be right for me?

Hey, Welcome, after surgery my doctor told me that I will probably be off of some if not all of my medications. I take blood pressure medications, medicine for my heart, a medication for gerd, thyroid medication, a medication for depression and I have NASH which is a fancy work for i have the liver of an alcoholic and i have never drank a day in my life. So I am so excited to be having surgery in November.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ellen
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr vorha
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 09:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

Welcome Dcynique. Wow, that's some history. Now, I have to ask, no offense but have you at some point been in therapy for your weight struggles or relationship issues? You have been in a few relationships that seem to have an effect on your weight. The heavy drinking that you just recently quit also is a factor. I see you have a date on your timeline. Did you get medical clearance from all the doctors that are needed? In my opinion, and this is just me, I would wait. Take a step back. You have been yo-yoing so long you can't rush into this. This is a major life changing surgery, not like the band that can be adjusted or removed. There's no putting back your stomach. I think you need to speak to some, I go to therapy & a shrink lol but I have all kinds of issues. Theres a new option, if its in your area where they put balloons in your stomach, also temporary like the band. YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOU FIRST. Get yourself to a place where you come first. This board will be very supportive and helpful. We are all here for each other. Good Luck.
    STARTING WEIGHT 237

SURGERY WEIGHT 228.8

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Any and all WLS success or failure is a direct result of the patient's compliance with making the necessary lifestyle changes. Without changing what's in your head that has caused you to become obese in the first place, you will end up right back where you started. It's very easy to out eat your sleeve or eat around a band with poor food choices. It's easier to fail than to succeed. The surgery is just one tool, and the mental tools you either develop on your own, or better yet, with a therapist or counselor, are even more important. It's like trying to build a house with just a hammer. You can't do it without it, but you also need a saw and nails and wood and a dozen other tools and supplies.

Yes, your GERD could get worse. Some surgeons won't do VSG on patients with existing GERD because of this. On the other hand, if the GERD is caused by a hiatal hernia and it is repaired at the time of surgery, your GERD may improve. OR you may not experience any change in your symptoms. There's really no way to know which way you're going to go.

Yes, you will have to take vitamins and have regular bloodwork done for the rest of your life. Even though it's not considered a malabsorptive procedure, Up to 90% of gastrectomy patients develop deficiencies within 10 years, some resulting in irreversible damage. But again, this is easily avoidable with supplementation and monitoring.

Dehydration is typically something that is a problem in the first few months only because of the limitation of being able to drink such tiny amounts. You must be consciously diligent about hydration in the beginning, but as your restriction lessens and you develop good drinking habits, this normally isn't a long term problem.

I actually had a very easy recovery with no major physical complications. There was, of course, struggles along the way, and I've had to make a lot of changes. Honestly I could not have done it without those mental tools my therapist provided, but I have never regretted my decision to have surgery for a single minute. You need to go into this with 110% commitment and expect and accept whatever may come. You've seen how easy it is to fail, but also know that it is possible to be successful. You are in control of which path you end up on.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Kindle said it BEST!

I'm grateful to have the best therapist in the world! She's helped me get down to "Causes and Conditions". I've learned to cope with life's ups and downs WITHOUT turning to something or someone outside myself to make me feel better! Happiness is an INSIDE job! We don't talk about food or bingeing or anything of that sort.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents