07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    01-20-2017 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default My 6 Month Post Surgery Report - the goods and not so goods

Well this has been quite an experience (dare I say adventure?) of good and not so good. Here is the good: I am six months out and the hard facts are that I have lost 42 lbs and have gone from 198 to 155 - Size 16/18 to mostly 10s. I am not sure where my weight loss will level out, but this is a weight and size I never thought I'd see.

For the first time in a very long time, it is actually enjoyable to go out and try on/buy new clothes, because I look good in them, not because they "are good enough." In the past, I have literally have had a complete meltdown or two in a store dressing room, crying as I felt I looked terrible and like a big fat pig in everything I tried on. Where several months ago, I was wondering what the heck I had done going to Tijuana by myself to have the gastric sleeve performed, I am now finally glad I did.

Here is the not so good: Like many "sleevers," I too have lost about 1/4 to 1/3 of my hair. Luckily, I had a lot of hair to begin with, but it's weird to see so much hair in my brushes and in my hands when I am blow drying my hair. I read that this is temporary....hopefully it is. I have lost muscle mass, particularly in my upper thighs. Even when I was heavy, I always had solid legs....feeling loose skin and lack of muscle is foreign to me and makes me feel old. I am guessing more exercise ought to help with that and I will be making that a goal for 2016. I feel more lethargic than I used to and look a little older in the face because my fat is no longer pushing out my nasal labial folds (fancy words for those line that run from your nostrils to your mouth) me at any size.

Everyone tells me that I look amazing. My husband, who is a smart and wonderful man, reminds me that he loves me and has always loved me at any size. I am less self conscious now when he touches me and my back fat is mostly non-existent....what a great feeling.

Finally...the food thing. Being forced to eat much less doesn't address my neurotic compulsion to comfort myself with food. I still feel the emotions to want to eat more and although I stop when I am full....that little voice deep down inside of me wonders if I am going to gain the weight back.....hopefully not.

Until this week, I had literally had no aftercare whatsoever except for blogs and one friend, as several doctors refused to see me because I went to Mexico for my surgery and they were worried about the liability. That was a little unsettling. I finally scheduled my first physical in 15 years and told my new doctor about the sleeve surgery and she ordered a panel of tests for my nutrients.....the results were that I needed to add a B complex and D in higher quantities, but everything else checked out well, so that was a relief.

My family was not happy with me for "risking my health" and going alone to Tijuana to have this procedure done without sharing what I did until after the fact, but they are coming around....and are happy for me if I am happy.

So....this is my story 6 months out.....it will be interesting to see where I am physically and emotionally, in another six months. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Allison

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Heidi1942's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Michaelson
    Last Activity
    04-08-2017 06:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 150 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My 6 Month Post Surgery Report - the goods and not so goods

Congrats on your journey so far!! I too am about 6 months out and I am down 50 lbs with a lot more to go though! I have gone from a size 24 to a 16!! I wanted to tell you what I did for my hair loss!! I was absolutely an emotional wreck about my hair loss because it was BAD! I literally had balding spots in the front of my hair and I had my wedding coming up! I took a hit to my ego and actually purchased a wig because I was convinced i was going to have balding for the wedding and to me that was hell. Anyway! I complained to my hair stylist that I have gone to forever and she recommended Nioxin shampoo and conditioner with scalp treatment! It is a product that boosts your follicles so your hair starts to grow again. I tried it and within ONE month my hair had grown in!!! It has continued to grow and for my wedding my hair looked thick and beautiful!! I HIGHLY recommend it to any people having hair loss issues, it is a little pricy but it is DEFINITELY worth the few extra dollars!! Hope this helps!

4. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

I purchased Keratin shampoo, conditioner, root lifter spray, and some drops for small stubborn areas. It has definitely given me hair that is easier to comb out wet or dry so I don't think I pull as much out. My hair is soft and shiny. When I feel my scalp, I can feel the new hair coming in. I have been using it for 2-3 weeks. I shampoo my hair 3 times a week now so I don't stress it. I have to say that I think the hair problem has improved greatly. I don't have a handful of hair while combing after a shampoo. I was finding hair everywhere, on the floor, my food, toothbrush etc. yuk!

Definitely have a physician follow you and get group support. I don't know the size of the city where you live, but there may be groups you can attend for wls. Going out of the country for wls can be a problem. I don't judge anyone for doing it and people have great success here on the boards. You just have to do the post op work yourself. Make sure you do so you can make the most of wls.

As far as your other concern, I think we all still have that little voice inside of us telling ourselves that we might gain the weight back. We've been up and down emotionally and can hardly believe we are going to keep it off. I know I have dealt with this the past couple days. I think because I am close to goal, I'm playing these mind games with myself.

Dressing rooms and clothing? I never cried in the dressing room because I rarely went into one. lol I really do dislike shopping in a mall but maybe that will change. I order a lot online in catalogs. I don't seem to find anything I like. I have purchased jeans at the mall though. That sure felt good. Rest assured, you are going through very legitimate emotions. Come here and get support because we know what you are going through. Congratulations on your weight loss and good lab report.

Gastric Sleeve Member AllieGator's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Yay! Thank you so much Heidi for the advice to get Nioxin shampoo! Congrats on your journey as well and for the recovery of your hair and of your wedding! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and give me a great suggestion!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AllieGator's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Belle22...you are so sweet for validating my feelings and concerns. Thank you for the Keratin idea and congrats on an amazing weight loss success! Happy New Year to you! Allison

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member SomeGuyJeff's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Last Activity
    02-23-2018 03:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 291 Times
    Was Thanked 418 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times

i understand clothes frustrations. i was a 4xlt.. so big and tall... try finding a souvenir shirt on vacation - lol

now, i still have to get some shirts as tall - but am large or XL tall... and that has opened up options to buying clothes.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    08/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Leslie
    Last Activity
    02-05-2016 03:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AllieGator View Post
    Well this has been quite an experience (dare I say adventure?) of good and not so good. Here is the good: I am six months out and the hard facts are that I have lost 42 lbs and have gone from 198 to 155 - Size 16/18 to mostly 10s. I am not sure where my weight loss will level out, but this is a weight and size I never thought I'd see.

For the first time in a very long time, it is actually enjoyable to go out and try on/buy new clothes, because I look good in them, not because they "are good enough." In the past, I have literally have had a complete meltdown or two in a store dressing room, crying as I felt I looked terrible and like a big fat pig in everything I tried on. Where several months ago, I was wondering what the heck I had done going to Tijuana by myself to have the gastric sleeve performed, I am now finally glad I did.

Here is the not so good: Like many "sleevers," I too have lost about 1/4 to 1/3 of my hair. Luckily, I had a lot of hair to begin with, but it's weird to see so much hair in my brushes and in my hands when I am blow drying my hair. I read that this is temporary....hopefully it is. I have lost muscle mass, particularly in my upper thighs. Even when I was heavy, I always had solid legs....feeling loose skin and lack of muscle is foreign to me and makes me feel old. I am guessing more exercise ought to help with that and I will be making that a goal for 2016. I feel more lethargic than I used to and look a little older in the face because my fat is no longer pushing out my nasal labial folds (fancy words for those line that run from your nostrils to your mouth) me at any size.

Everyone tells me that I look amazing. My husband, who is a smart and wonderful man, reminds me that he loves me and has always loved me at any size. I am less self conscious now when he touches me and my back fat is mostly non-existent....what a great feeling.

Finally...the food thing. Being forced to eat much less doesn't address my neurotic compulsion to comfort myself with food. I still feel the emotions to want to eat more and although I stop when I am full....that little voice deep down inside of me wonders if I am going to gain the weight back.....hopefully not.

Until this week, I had literally had no aftercare whatsoever except for blogs and one friend, as several doctors refused to see me because I went to Mexico for my surgery and they were worried about the liability. That was a little unsettling. I finally scheduled my first physical in 15 years and told my new doctor about the sleeve surgery and she ordered a panel of tests for my nutrients.....the results were that I needed to add a B complex and D in higher quantities, but everything else checked out well, so that was a relief.

My family was not happy with me for "risking my health" and going alone to Tijuana to have this procedure done without sharing what I did until after the fact, but they are coming around....and are happy for me if I am happy.

So....this is my story 6 months out.....it will be interesting to see where I am physically and emotionally, in another six months. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Allison
    hi my name is sue and i what to talk about my weight loose and my hair losee