Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Unhappy What I miss......

Is it just my or do any other recently sleeved people miss eating? I miss going to the deli on lunch and getting a toasted thick sub with chips and soda. I also miss eating a whopper at burger king and french fries at Mc D's. I miss going to Claim Jumpers and eating a steak dinner with a loaded baked potato. Pizza , (sad face) I miss eating pizza. I miss drinking Coke. I miss Ice cream, Ice cream was one of my favorite all time foods. I miss a good donut. Hershey kisses. I really miss these things. Its like a long term relationship that ended abruptly. I dont miss the weight I have lost, and I am sure I will put all of this behind me someday. I just miss my old friends.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What I miss......

As a foodie, I understand. However, keep reminding yourself that the healthier version of you is more important. It will come with time. You are doing great, keep up the good work! Once your stomach has healed and you are able to eat more normal foods, you will find that you can eat of those things, just not as much. 3 oz, protein first.

You will also learn that your tastebuds may have really changed. Foods you enjoyed pre-op may not even taste good any longer. Also, if you ever eat something and get the slimmies from eating it, you won't want to eat it again.

After almost 4 years, I do not avoid anything that I want b/c I know that I cannot and will not eat more than a couple of bites. I can order a kid's steak and have 3-4 meals worth.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/09/2015
    Last Activity
    03-18-2016 04:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Oh, come on Ann, you should be all over this. Ok.... Let me try.

I can tell you are doing great, the weight is going to melt off, keep up the good work!

Soon you will be missing:

That bloated, guilty feeling after you have overindulged.
    Your blood pressure medications
    The doctor visits to manage your diabetes.
    The crackling in your knees as you climb a flight of stairs. Oh , wait , you are going to miss having to stop half way up to catch your breath.
    The feeling of being that overweight "invisible " person that society ignores.
    The shopping for xxl clothes , instead of regular sizes.
    The aching , sore, feet.

THAT is what you are going to miss.

Enjoy the ride , baby, you are going to do great. If you are missing all that food, you are actually listening to the doctor and following the rules, so you are going to be a great success. Best of luck!

P.S. I do miss my diet coke, I actually thought long and hard before having surgery about never having another, pretty sick, huh. I enjoyed the whole experience, the taste, the fizz, the cold , sweaty can, the feel, the sound of popping the can. We all have our weaknesses. It was like an addiction. But I would rather be thin.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

You will be able to eat all of those things at some point. Just not a LOT of those things. I had pizza this afternoon. Pulled pork sub and chips two days ago. 1/4 chocolate bar yesterday. Blueberry cream cheese Danish for breakfast one day last week. I've had Wendy's Son of Baconator, Carl's Jr. Mushroom Swiss burger, elk steak, twice baked potatoes, ice cream, cheesy bread, etc, etc..... The only thing that's totally out for me is the coke. My sleeve won't do carbonation.

So for now you have to "pay your dues" and stick with the plan in order to lose, but some day when you are at your goal weight you should be able to incorporate your favorite things back into your maintenance routine as long as you are smart about your overall choices.

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Friends don't kill each other...those things are not your friends.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I do miss some things, eating a big meal is one, the social aspects of food is another, but I am NOT going to whine, complain, bitch, or any of that. I am much, much happier now.

I would love to be able to pig out like I could before, and still be 185 lbs, but I would also love to be able to flap my arms and fly. Since neither is going to happen, I'll accept that and move on. Count my blessings and successes, measure cost vs benefit, and be glad I paid the price demanded for a healthy body.

But yes, there is a price to pay for this, we could not eat small meals all week then once a week have feast. We had a feast all weak and one small meal a week. So we needed a tool to help us.

That said, now that I am at goal weight, I am actively trying NOT to lose more, so I am eating the chocolate a couple times a day, I will have 1/4 of a piece of pie, or a SMALL dish of ice cream most days. I deprive myself of NOTHING I want to eat, I just can not eat very much, I do not want very much, and I really, really do not want to lose any more muscle, so I eat a fair amount of lean protein, drink a LOT of high quality protein drinks, etc. Not because doc said, because I do not want to be skinny runt, I have been strong my whole life, I like being strong and have lost a fair amount of muscle along with a huge amount of fat. I regret losing the muscle, and am trying to get it back.

Stay the course, you will get there, your progress is good. Enjoy the journey, you are going to do something for the next 6, 12, 18 months, however long this takes, so listen in here, post often, keep up with the support groups here, and just ride the wave. There is a price to pay for a healthy body, you made the right choice, just let time prove that to you :-)

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Michael, everybody else already said it. You can eat those things in the coming year. But you can't pig out. And you won't want to.

How does that sound to you?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member RubbityDub's Avatar
    Name
    Kathryn
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ian Martin
    Last Activity
    05-04-2019 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michael95472 View Post
    Is it just my or do any other recently sleeved people miss eating? I miss going to the deli on lunch and getting a toasted thick sub with chips and soda. I also miss eating a whopper at burger king and french fries at Mc D's. I miss going to Claim Jumpers and eating a steak dinner with a loaded baked potato. Pizza , (sad face) I miss eating pizza. I miss drinking Coke. I miss Ice cream, Ice cream was one of my favorite all time foods. I miss a good donut. Hershey kisses. I really miss these things. Its like a long term relationship that ended abruptly. I dont miss the weight I have lost, and I am sure I will put all of this behind me someday. I just miss my old friends.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
    I know exactly what you mean and I miss all those things too. Having said that I wouldn't go back even if I could.