09/19/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    11-27-2017 05:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Do you need a passport to drive into Mexico or is a valid drivers license and birth certificate enough?

I am trying to have my gastric sleeve procedure done on September 19th and my companion that is coming with me does not have a passport the company is telling me all I need is a driver's license and birth certificate but I've read otherwise does anybody know for sure about this?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kodi's Mom's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you need a passport to drive into Mexico or is a valid drivers license and birth certificate enough?

I am retired from the Postal Service which accepts applications on behalf of the State Department. After 9/11, the laws were changed. You now need a passport.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bronxgirl635's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-03-2016 05:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you need a passport to drive into Mexico or is a valid drivers license and birth certificate enough?

I just went to Tijuana and all I had was my drivers license and birth certificate and everything went fine. Now I will say this. I was in the van that picks up from San Diego airport. Some people say because it's "the medical transport van" they have certain leeway. I'm not sure if that was true or not.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I worked for the passport agency. You need at least a passport card to REENTER the USA....tbhey don't much care when you enter MX, but coming home is different. While some on medical vans may get a pass, you cant be sure... and while it is not likely, things can happen and if so, the nonpassported person would need to go to a consulate, have just the right birth cert (certified with raised seal).....
    it's not worth the risk.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I worked for the passport agency. You need at least a passport card to REENTER the USA....tbhey don't much care when you enter MX, but coming home is different. While some on medical vans may get a pass, you cant be sure... and while it is not likely, things can happen and if so, the nonpassported person would need to go to a consulate, have just the right birth cert (certified with raised seal).....
    it's not worth the risk.
    wanted to add, some states have enhanced ID drivers licences..those work, too. Washington, Vermont, Michigan, Minnesota and New York
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents