Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Default Guess I am going to have to...

Well, as much as it pains me, I think I am going to have to start exercising. Yes, I know! You should have been doing that all along. And yes, you are right (do you get that this is maybe the conversation that is going on in my head?), but I was able to figure out how to eat low carb and actually lost more when I quit exercising. I did actually exercise every day the first year after my GS, so I'm not a total loser! lol! The question is, did I lose muscle mass too? I was eating a ton of protein, so did that keep me from losing the mass? I have noticed my upper body strength is not what it used to be, but is that because I will be 50 next year, or did I really lose muscle? I plan on doing fast walking to start out with. It is so hard to know where to start. I have a treadmill and do not plan to go to a gym. I would never get there. I can get up earlier when school starts and get it done. But for now, I have about a week for vacation, so do I want to start now or wait till after? My big avoidance of exercise is that in my mind, it is going to feel like it did at 278 lbs! I mean, I know it won't, but there you have it...so any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member readytochangemylife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    10/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richards, Mobile AL
    Last Activity
    10-25-2016 03:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Guess I am going to have to...

Melissa, I know where you are coming from. I had my surgery 10/12/2012. I am in the same mind frame as you are now. The first year I walked nearly every day. I also continued to lose weight even after I stopped walking daily. My knees were beginning to hurt more, but no where near how they were hurting before I lost this weight. I began cutting down how many days I walked and then, I stopped. I miss it. I am buying news shoes this weekend and although it is hot, I am going back to at least 3 days a week walking. I have an elliptical here at home, but have also stopped using it. I had a recumbent bike, but got tired of it also. I am up and down by 2 lbs of my present weight, without exercising, but I feel more flabby now. I do have tremendous amount of lose skin and have had for a while, but it just feels different. I don't know why I don't have the motivation now. I am not a gym person. I did that religiously over the years when I was trying to lose weight and I guess I am burned out. I used to go to Curves in those years too. Now, I would love to find one close to my house. I would defiantly go there. Good program for older women. There is no longer one close to our house. Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times

Thank you so much, Margaret. I am also very flabby in my arms and legs. I really want to firm up my behind too. I cannot imagine walking in Alabama humidity though... I hope you find something that you can be active with. I wish I loved to exercise...lol. I did take the dog for a walk yesterday so am making some progress...baby steps! . Have a wonderful day!

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

Count me in. Hardly did anything until month six. The weight was coming off so I felt like j dodged a bullet. Then it seemed to stop. I am working with a trainer twice a week and have started walking the long hallway through many connected buildings where I walk 3 times each day. Got up to 9000 steps by doing this. Today since the heat//humidity is better here in CT I am starting to use my treadclimber - the best exercise I've ever done. Not getting in enough water since I've started drinking a LOT of iced coffee. It's always something.
    Keep up the good work

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times

Good for you mem222!!! I haven't done very well this weekend, and next week will be hard. Like you said, always something. Glad you are finding some success!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents