Surgeon
    Dr. Cabrera
    Last Activity
    09-19-2015 02:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Unhappy Anxiety kicking my bootie

So... I'm having the surgery done in Mexico by Dr. Almanza very soon... I chose not to tell my sister where I was having it done because I knew it would be a sore subject. I carelessly posted something about booking a hotel in Mexico no fb today and she saw. I had come to terms with the risks of the surgery itself but still had some nerves about doing it in a different country and was anxious about everything period.

Now I'm feeling insanely scared. There are so many mixed reviews on this facility and Dr. Should I be having second thoughts? I felt I did the research and that all doctors have good and bad reviews... I got an infection from a simple procedure in the states... I'd assume it could happen anywhere... but her spin is if it can happen here.... it will most likely happen there.

Can anyhow help ease my mind?

Thanks so much!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Choi
    Last Activity
    04-06-2016 07:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Anxiety kicking my bootie

I had second & third thoughts etc. over & over, but chose to move forward because I was so tired of living with the constant cycle of failed diets & weight gain. I want to live my life & be in photos with my family. There are obviously risks with any surgery, but the sleeve has less complications than any other weight loss surgery. This is an amazing agency, the doctors & staff will take excellent care of you. I'm a nurse & have had several surgeries in facilities I work in with better care through this company. I've had a great experience & 5 days post op I'm down 12 pounds!! You've obviously come to this decision for a reason & I can tell you that this is the best group I've found. I work in a hospital where they perform bariatric surgery & chose WLA if that tells you anything. Follow their instructions exactly & you will be fine.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Choi
    Last Activity
    04-06-2016 07:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Choi
    Last Activity
    Today 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I had second & third thoughts etc. over & over, but chose to move forward because I was so tired of living with the constant cycle of failed diets & weight gain. I want to live my life & be in photos with my family. There are obviously risks with any surgery, but the sleeve has less complications than any other weight loss surgery. This is an amazing agency, the doctors & staff will take excellent care of you. I'm a nurse & have had several surgeries in facilities I work in with better care through this company. I've had a great experience & 5 days post op I'm down 12 pounds!! You've obviously come to this decision for a reason & I can tell you that this is the best group I've found. I work in a hospital where they perform bariatric surgery & chose WLA if that tells you anything. Follow their instructions exactly & you will be fine.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AmberCastle's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    08/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

Thank you so much!!! That is exactly why I'm having surgery... I've lost 100 here, 75 there, 150 here... and gained it all back if not more. I'm 36 and want to have joints and cartilage when I'm 50... I'm not looking for love, I was blessed to find my husband while obese, I'm looking for health... I want to enjoy my life with him, I want to enjoy my life period. He is going with me and supports me.. but as everyone would be, he is scared since I got an infection from my gallbladder surgery. But what I've told everyone is... It can happen anywhere... I'm quite a bit heavier than you were and am nervous about that but the sleeve seems to be the best thing for me. I'm super nervous. It says you went with Dr. Choi though, isn't he in the states?

Gastric Sleeve Member Ibleedblue's Avatar
    Name
    Leah McIntosh
    Surgery date
    02/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2023 07:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can really relate to what you are going through. I almost cancelled a hundred times. The care you get in Mexico, though not as thorough as the US, is not a dirty tent in the middle of the slums. I was okay, had no complications and looking back it was the best decision I ever made. That being said, surgery is always a gamble, no matter where you have it. But the way I feel now, I would do it again in a HEART BEAT.
    If you have an issue with anxiety, I would have your primary care doc give you something for the trip. He gave me some sedatives and I am glad that I had them. I went alone though, that was a mistake looking back. The plane ride home is not fun, not going to lie. If you can get through the first couple weeks you will never look back. (Or at least I didnt) I weighed 205 the first week of Feb of this year and Im down to 144 in less than 6 months. Go for it girl!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    08/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

Well, I'm in my 300's... so I have quite a long journey ahead of me. I'm nervous about the flight home too because it is from San Diego to Indiana... both flights are about 4ish hours and my husband and I didn't get seats together on the first flight (hoping someone cancels closer to time) and I got the second to last seats on the second flight so I can hopefully get up. I was disappointed they don't get you any type of letter so you can show that you just had surgery and need a little extra wiggle room... so to speak I'm nervous about the surgery of course... and who wouldn't be nervous about complications... but I'm most nervous about learning that food is not my friend LOL I start my cleanse on Monday... I have to do a 10 day.. which is ok, glad to start it.

I'm super glad my husband is going, there is no way that I would do this by myself, I personally don't think I could.

I do have xanax, but rarely take it because I'm a weirdo and it makes me feel weak.

I just wish my sister didn't have so much power to completely deflate me and scare the crap out of me when I'm really happy about my decision and looking forward to my new life.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

Miss Anxiety - by now I hope you have had your surgery. If you don't, you will always regret it. I wish I had seen this earlier. You are probably sitting in the same seat I was in 1 week ago. some of the best docs and procedures come out of mexico. they are there because it is too expensive and restrictive here in the states. I had sleeve 1 week ago and could not be happier. I had an easy time of it and am progressing as the directions say. the hops does thing a little old fashioned but it works well as it did then. please put your anxiety in your suitecase and get on with your wonderful life.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Your sis has the power because you give it to her.

Take it back.

It's yours.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    08/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

SO true Ann2, I know this, and I tell myself this but man I allow her to judge me so easily.

DoggieMom-- I'm 17 days away from surgery and am super excited/nervous... thank you for your words of encouragement.

Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

I got home from having surgery with Dr Almanza last night. I am so happy with my decision to do this. Don't second guess your decision to improve your life.
    Rebecca

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    08/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

I'm not sure why but I cannot post pm's... Thank you so much Rnvegas for the feedback... I'm insanely excited.. this forum isn't that easy to maneuver around in (knowing when someone responds/posts) but I've been able to go through a lot of posts and I'm way way more excited than I was this morning that is for sure. My nerves were kicking my butt. I start my cleanse next Monday. Think I'll make a post about that and see if there are any good pointers. (that and what vitamins everyone uses)

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Surgery date
    08/11/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-18-2017 09:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 148 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 240 Times

Ambercastle, I am having my sleeve August 11, and I like you am nervous, but I have tried so many other things that didn't work, this
    seems like the thing I need to do for myself. I think there will always be those people who try to rain on other's parades and make others
    feel bad about the decisions they make, but you have to do what is right for you, and as long as your spouse supports you in this, in my
    book, that's all that matters. Maybe I will see you there. Good luck, chin up, it's gonna be great!!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Mayfield
    Last Activity
    07-30-2015 02:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

I didn't have my surgery until I was at complete peace with the procedure. I don't know if I could have it done away from home. That just is unsettling in my mind. Good luck. Post to let us all know how it goes.

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Horatio Asbun
    Last Activity
    08-31-2015 07:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times

You know Amber, any surgery can be risky. Everyone has their opinion of what YOU should do, don't they? Well the one that matters is you. I had my surgery here in the states on 7-20-15, and have not had any problems. But I personally know quite a few people that have had surgery in Mexico. The ones I know said they were treated wonderfully, had great care and no problems. It is your decision. Pray for guidance and you will make the right decision, whether you go or not. Your choice is the right one. I am not trying to influence you in any way. I just know when I have such big decisions to make, prayer always gets me the right answer. BTW, I have no regrets and I felt like a yo yo for months. I will, I won't, yes, no. As a matter of fact I have a sister that is very strong also, and she did not want me to do it. All I can say, if your sister hasn't been there and walked in your shoes, she needs to hush up her opinion. In the end, my sister was there for me at my surgery, along with my husband, who supported me also. Now, I believe she sees that my decision was the right one. I have lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks and I am happy.

25. Said thanks: