Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: was anyone scared to die during surgery?

I really understand how you could be scared. But although I was certainly nervous, I wasn't actually scared.

I'm an "odds" girl and understood how comparatively safe the surgery is (safer than knee replacement surgery, for instance). And I really, really, really understood how absolutely miserable my life would continue to be (and get much worse pretty fast) if I didn't take drastic action of WLS to get healthier fast.

By the way, my VSG surgery was my first-ever surgery. And it was also the first time I was ever a hospital patient. So the whole thing was pretty new to me.

Happily, in my case, the anesthesiologist gave me something that zapped me out before we went from pre-surgery unit into the operating room. I'm sure your surgical / anesthesiology team is completely sensitive to allaying WLS patients' anxieties.

My big advice is to focus right now on what the benefits of this surgery for you will be. So much of what makes this journey a pleasant one is a positive attitude. I've found that positive self-talk, visualization of all the benefits, and hanging out with supportive people who are thrilled about my improved health and figure have been great resources for me.

I hope you have those resources, too.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almuanza
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

You are going to do great. The surgery is fairly quick. The last thing I remember is the anestigiolist saying don't be scared trust me. I don't even remember getting the gas mask lol.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    04-26-2017 01:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

I've had many surgeries and realize that there is always the possibility of dying. I've always prayed about it and let God do the rest. If I die, at least I don't know that I did. I make sure everyone I love knows I love them and then I am good. My sleeve surgery had complications (due to so much scar tissue inside me from all the other surgeries..my intestines were attached to my stomach....just one of those things) so my bowel was knicked when he tried to separate the intestines from the stomach and so he had to do a major surgery opening me up the center and flushing out all the bacteria and sew up the knick. I don't remember much about that whole period but I do remember I was afraid I was going to die and I made them let me call all my kids and family so I could tell them I loved them. You will do great! I would focus on all the benefits that you are going to have happen. They really do happen. I knew I was going to be the only one that the surgery didn't work on lol then with the additional surgery I was convinced. but you know what? I kept a positive attitude, at least I was alive and i've already dropped 44 lbs in 6 weeks....stopped taking one of my HBP pills, sleep doc said i would probably be off my cpap machine by next time I see him, my diabetes is almost in normal range and i'll be able to come off that med soon and hopefully the rest of my HBP pills soon. I'm told 44 lbs in 6 weeks is fast but i've been doing what the doc said. i've cut out carbs, sweets and eat fruits, veggies and protein. I also drink 60 gms of protein a day. There are so many reasons to be thankful. I was scared to death even the day of the surgery I told the nurses I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with it. They told me I needed to make up my mind and quick. I barely remember the surgeon or anesthesiologist coming in to talk to me pre-op. I told the anesthesiologist to give me something to knock me out lol and he did. next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery and had my own red pj's on. I always have my own pj's on when I have surgery because it mentally makes me feel better and i recover quicker. they are loose enough to get all the lines through and they didn't have a problem accommodating me. I was up and walking shortly after arriving at my room and was in great spirits...then the other surgery happened and I don't remember any of it. I live in colorado and had it done here so i don't know about being allowed to wear your own pjs in mexico. but it makes a difference. I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LuigiHunter's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

When you start the process of searching and asking around, I was really scared. You hear all sorts of stories. But once you find the right doctor and talk to him, he will gain your trust. I spoke to several doctors in TJ, all of them very good surgeons, but I got a really good vibe from mine. His experience and professionalism was a major point in making my decision.

The day of surgery, I was really nervous! He came in and talked to me. He was very reassuring and confirmed to me that I made the right decision.

Just do your research ant talk to your surgeon, that will help.

Surgery date
    01/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Doctor Who
    Said "Thanks" 139 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times

No. I might be alone but I was not scared or nervous. I was only very excited!

First doc visit: 290
    Surgery date: 264.6

1st month loss: 15 (weight: 249.6)
    2nd month loss: 8.4 (weight: 241.2)
    3rd month loss: 9.2 (weight 232)
    4th month loss: 11 (weight 221)
    5th month loss: 10 (weight 211)
    6th month loss: 7 (weight 204)
    7th month loss: 4 (weight 200)
    8th month loss: 4 (weight 196)

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiHunter View Post
    When you start the process of searching and asking around, I was really scared. You hear all sorts of stories. But once you find the right doctor and talk to him, he will gain your trust. I spoke to several doctors in TJ, all of them very good surgeons, but I got a really good vibe from mine. His experience and professionalism was a major point in making my decision.

The day of surgery, I was really nervous! He came in and talked to me. He was very reassuring and confirmed to me that I made the right decision.

Just do your research ant talk to your surgeon, that will help.
    Can you list your doctors first name? There are now at least a few bariatric surgeons in Mexico with at least part of their name as Lopez.

Gastric Sleeve Member LuigiHunter's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Oh!
    My doctor is Dr. Jesus Lopez Dominguez from Tijuana. A short guy with a really good attitude.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SomeGuyJeff's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Last Activity
    02-23-2018 03:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 291 Times
    Was Thanked 418 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times

heres one thing i will say. when yo go, you will be with a small group of others having surgery the same day. i went alone but made friends with a couple of the people who were they . we pushed each other to walk, we got popsicles together, complained to each other about pains - lol....

honestly i only wanted my wife there to give me a kiss before surgery. but really, she couldnt be at the hospital for surgery day. youre up right after surgery and youre supposed to get up and walk as much as possible. no companion can do the walking for you. i know it sounds weird, but in a way i think not having my wife there helped me.

you will be fine and it will be through before you know it.