Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

Default Re: What about drinking alcohol after the sleeve?

I know giving up on alcohol for a long while may seem to be a lot! trust me all I can think about lately is having a frozen margarita or even a cold beer (and I hate beer) but the sacrifice is well worth it...I have become a stronger person I think
    I would advice you all to try to keep away from alcohol as much and as longer as you can. My life and entertainment also revolves around dining out and going for drinks and watching everybody around me drinking and eating sometimes doesn't make it easier, but I have been out with the eating/drinking crowd and I have been able to make it so I know all of you can!
    Remember we are all in this to make a permanent change in our lives.
    And on top of everything I don't think my new stomach is able to even fit in a full drink. Right now I am only able to eat/drink about 4 ounces at the time (and I feel so so full after that)
    About options, what works for me is I ask for a fruit punch or juice (light or no sugar added) "on the rocks" LOL, and I play with that the whole night and people don't even realize I am not drinking. And I don't even talk about not being able to drink to anybody around me, people will always try to convince you to have only one or just a sip.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Toni
    Surgery date
    01/23/2009
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 03:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

Hi All

My doctor never said anything about not drinking, so I never really worried about it, he is of the opinion do everything in moderation. I am nearly 2 years post op. First post I have the odd drink or two, wine tends to hit me alot faster than it used to and I prefer to stick with vodka and soda (the bubbles make me drink less).

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Leslie
    Surgery date
    11/09/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr David Suh
    Last Activity
    04-12-2012 10:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

Big boy, with my job I cant have anything on my record so a DUI is outta the question, plus I would never drive anyways even after one drink I wont drive. But the half a shot didn't kill me and it didn't get me buzzed or anything so I guess it was alright. But come New Years I will have a sip or 2 of somthing without bubbles, no tequilla though (which was my drink of choice).

You can find me on Facebook under Leslie Hurtado or ThtzMsPrincess2U
    Also my goal weight was 160 lbs but I'm now below goal and hopefully holding at 151 and not just in a stall

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member BobBigBoy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    08-30-2013 05:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Thtzmsprincess2U View Post
    Big boy, with my job I cant have anything on my record so a DUI is outta the question, plus I would never drive anyways even after one drink I wont drive.
    I was just joking.
    I drive for a living & take the whole DUI thing very seriously, If I ever got one it would destroy my career.
    So I would never do it, yet I've never heard about someone with a job sitting at a desk dispatching people not being able to have a DUI.
    Heck you could be taking the bus or walking to work.. ( dont see why it would matter, but thats a company issue I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thtzmsprincess2U View Post
    But come New Years I will have a sip or 2 of somthing without bubbles, no tequilla though (which was my drink of choice).
    Kinda makes me smile, That I'll be able to enjoy this X-Mas & new years being my surgery is not till mid Jan.
    ( Note to self, go get some eggnog today. )

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Hollywood_B1983's Avatar
    Name
    Brandon
    Surgery date
    10/11/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    09-21-2011 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 90 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times

I wouldn't ever tell anyone to go against what their personal doctor advised them, I can only tell you of my own experiences. My Doctor never said I couldn't have any alcohol. I had my surgery Oct. 11th. On Dec. 16th me and my girlfriend went to a Mexican restraunt, I didnt eat anything but a few chips and salsa. While she ate her meal, I had two margaritas. Sometime in early November I was drinking rum and coke zero. Didn't get drunk, but was feeling pretty good. I've also had crown and 7up sometime since my surgery as well. It didn't have any negative affect on me at all. It did hit me faster though. I think it has to do with not eating when Im gonna drink.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    04-30-2011 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times

Wow, I hadn't even thought about what life after the surgery would be like with alcohol.... or without. I don't really do a lot of drinking unless out socially but that will still be a major change to prepare for.

Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wishes View Post
    Wow, I hadn't even thought about what life after the surgery would be like with alcohol.... or without. I don't really do a lot of drinking unless out socially but that will still be a major change to prepare for.
    With the sleeve unlike the by-pass you can still drink if you want too.
    Of course you probably wont need to drink as much due to the fact that your eating much less the buzz will probably come on sooner.
    ( Of course drinking is liquid calories though )

I'm staying away from drink until my vacation this summer then I'll enjoy & then probably get back on the wagon again for my health & weight loss. ( one in the same. )
    Sleeve operation date was Jan 18 2011
    My weight on the day of surgery was: 292 lbs.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sam
    Surgery date
    12/27/2010
    Last Activity
    03-02-2011 08:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I quizzed the nutritionist about this specifically as I also enjoy my alcohol and these were the general guidelines she gave me. Never alcohol before three months as it could affect your incision. Avoid carbonated beverages- beer, and cokes mixed with alcohol. They could stretch out your stomach again over time. Avoid things high in sugar such as fruity drinks. Alcohol already has sugar, so don't add more to it. Don't drink a lot or frequently as it will slow your weight loss down. It is empty calories. Be careful how much you drink as it will hit you harder and faster. If you try to drink as much as you used to, you could end up dancing on tables (lol, sounds like fun to me). But seriously, be careful- you don't want alcohol poisoning. She even provided a couple of suggestions. Drink darker red wines instead of sweet whites or blushes. They have less sugar and more health benefits. Keep packets of sugar free Hawian Punch with you and then order ice water and a shot of vodka to mix with it. I hope you guys find this info as helpful as I did.
    Sammie

Gastric Sleeve Member lovinglife's Avatar
    Name
    Loli
    Surgery date
    05/11/2011
    Last Activity
    07-09-2011 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 226 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 187 Times

I enjoy a margharita or a glass of wine from time to time. I heard you had to wait a year to drink alcohol, so I'm going to enjoy it for now.

Surgery date
    01/18/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglife View Post
    I enjoy a margharita or a glass of wine from time to time. I heard you had to wait a year to drink alcohol, so I'm going to enjoy it for now.
    They told me 6 to 9 months.
    I'm sure some will tell you a year to be part poopers.
    They want you to loose weight & adult drinks are BAD for weight loss.
    Sleeve operation date was Jan 18 2011
    My weight on the day of surgery was: 292 lbs.