Brathwaite
    Last Activity
    07-15-2016 12:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 89 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Weight Gain Anyone?

I have been exercising pretty much since I first had my surgery, mostly walking, Zumba, and some weight machines. The last few weeks I have upped my weight training to be 2-3 times per week and I have been jogging on the treadmill 2-3 times per week. I'm also doing Zumba at least once a week. I have gained a few pounds over the few weeks.

Has this happened to anyone else? I track my calories, etc. in My Fitness Pal and had a limit of 1200 per day. Should I up my calories per day because of the exercise?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW I am almost 10 months out from my surgery.
    Weight before 2 week pre-op diet - 260
    Weight on surgery day - 246

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weight Gain Anyone?

Susan,

I don't know if you should eat more at this point. No insights on that front. But I can share my weight loss history (which has changed).

The first four months post-op I lost in a pretty straight line with very brief up-ticks.

But ever since mid-December when I raised my calories from 800 to 1,000 (and then about a month ago to 1,200) I now lose like this:

90-day weight loss pattern.JPG

So, yes, I'm sharing your weight loss pattern of "up a little, down some more."

However, my weight loss trend is downward, which is all that matters.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Missy1973's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo Ramos
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

If you are exercising that much you probably should be eating more calories. In addition, you need to take your measurements and get your body fat percentage checked with a caliper - not a scale that supposedly measures body fat - they are not accurate. If you are exercising and watching your calories then you are probably losing body fat but gaining lean muscle mass. If you eat a diet too low in calories (under 1200 in my opinion) you are going to lose lean muscle mass not body fat. So, take your measurements and go by that instead of the scale and increase your daily caloric intake to be at least, if not more than, 1200 calories. I can still lose weight at 1400 calories a day. My body fat percentage is at 21.37 percent. That is in the fitness range for a woman and very close to athletic range. My goal now is to get my body fat percentage to that athletic range and it doesn't matter if the scale goes up a bit because I am hoping to increase my lean muscle mass and I'm sure you've heard that muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is also smaller than fat in volume so while your scale may go up, your pants size might go down. At least that is what you should be going for. Good luck to you!

Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Brathwaite
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Missy1973 View Post
    If you are exercising that much you probably should be eating more calories. In addition, you need to take your measurements and get your body fat percentage checked with a caliper - not a scale that supposedly measures body fat - they are not accurate. If you are exercising and watching your calories then you are probably losing body fat but gaining lean muscle mass. If you eat a diet too low in calories (under 1200 in my opinion) you are going to lose lean muscle mass not body fat. So, take your measurements and go by that instead of the scale and increase your daily caloric intake to be at least, if not more than, 1200 calories. I can still lose weight at 1400 calories a day. My body fat percentage is at 21.37 percent. That is in the fitness range for a woman and very close to athletic range. My goal now is to get my body fat percentage to that athletic range and it doesn't matter if the scale goes up a bit because I am hoping to increase my lean muscle mass and I'm sure you've heard that muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is also smaller than fat in volume so while your scale may go up, your pants size might go down. At least that is what you should be going for. Good luck to you!
    How do you find out your body fat percentage?

Gastric Sleeve Member Missy1973's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo Ramos
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

I went to my personal trainer at my gym and she measured me. I'm guessing you could also purchase a body fat caliper and have someone do it for you. I bought a scale that advertised it measured body fat percentage and when I stepped on it my measurement was 41%!!! NO WAY! So the caliper is a little tong-like thing, it's plastic and costs about $5.00 online. There is a digital version that's about $25.00. Just Google about exactly how to do it and where to measure as there are certain places on your body that you measure. You can also be submerged in water to get the MOST ACCURATE reading but who can afford that, right? So the caliper is the way to go.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member manzerick's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bernard Benedetto
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 06:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times
    Blog Entries

I upped my protein and water, and ended up dropping 18 ish pounds in 6 weeks, when I was 14 months out, and had stalled.

Not sure if that will help you but, I also was doing zumba, weights, and cardio.

Date***Weight
    1/30/2013***443
    6/8/2013***414
    8/8/2013***416
    8/15/2013***423
    8/26/2013***415
    10/11/2013***426
    11/6/2013***403
    11/12/2013***391.8
    11/15/2013***389
    11/21/2013***387.2
    11/26/13***384.5

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

Yes I have experienced that. Yes it is very normal to gain a few pounds in the first few weeks of weight training (its water to repair muscles, it is totally worth it and will go away and take more with it). And yes, you should up your calories. Slowly - like 100 a month. You will likely continue to lose weight for quite some time despite getting higher and higher. Plus food=calories=energy... more food=more energy=more calories you burn every day just because you have more energy and tend to naturally get up more and get more done cleaning or walking etc. Its a very, very, very nice self-feeding cycle

More muscle is the best thing you can do for yourself, so keep up the weight training and be sure it is progressive - you should be making noticable progress (i.e. heavier weights) on a regular basis. Even if it is just an increase in 5 pounds of weight every 2-3 weeks, do it. By the time you get to goal weight, you will have great shape (muscle is what gives your body its shape... without it, you have skeletal shoulders and arms, a flat butt, but still excess fat on the waist and hips... i.e. "skinny fat".) and you will be able to eat more than you ever imagined while maintaining your weight. It should be required for everyone who has WLS to the extent they can!

Up your protein too - double whatever they tell you. It helps build muscle, naturally decreases your carb intake, and unless you go nuts (i.e. 300g or something a day), it does no harm. I regularly get 150-175g a day, my doc is fine with it and all tests are good. (if you have any existing kidney disease or even if you dont, let your doc know how much you are getting just in case there is a good reason you should not).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Brathwaite
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks all!

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Just don't let that two pounds turn into 4...5...8...10 pounds! Keep it in check. We have to be desperate over this!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    07/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stroms group
    Last Activity
    11-16-2015 08:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

My guess is the weight you gained is muscle weight as it weighs more than fat.
    Good idea is measure your self each month so you'll have a chart, this way you have an accurate way of see your progress instead of just ponds.

Kathy