Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    11-30-2015 10:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Dr Juan Corvala / Hosp Angeles May 2015

I have never seen more nurses on a unit. They are wonderful. Today I walked the hallway non stop while taking breaks to watch DVDs. Very pleasant atmosphere. I had 2'visits from the Fellows and 2 with Dr Corvala today. I am still getting IV hydration which is great. No hunger at 22 hours post op.
    Some mild annoying gas which is tolerable. Tomorrow, I get a leak test and hopefully start clear liquid stage. I am also gonna hang outside in their courtyard. I get discharged on Sunday and will continue my R & R at Hotel Lucerna.
    I will write about the meds they use which I always find interesting.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Antonio Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    08-18-2017 11:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Great to hear things are going well. I also loved the amount of care from the nurses and visits from the doctors each day. Are you getting the massage therapy? That was my favorite!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

I will write a detailed account of my experience while on the plane ride home on Tuesday.
    Interesting note: still in hospital since Wednesday surgery, getting discharged to Hotel Lucerna for 2 nites.
    I have been off my hypertension meds since Tuesday. They check blood pressure and temperature 4x per day. The internist said no need to take it while the pressure was normal. This morning at 6 AM, BP was 145/100. The nurses freaked, told me not to walk and relax and called the internist. I ended up crushing my old dose of medication and within an hour, the pressure was normal. They are so nice and attentive here.
    I think another patient from another hospital or clinic was taken to Hosp Angeles with a major complication and Dr Corvala had to fix it late one nite. The patient is doing well but is in the ICU. I watched all 13 episodes of House of Cards Season 1 and am bored.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

By the way, Dr Corvala uses a 32 FR Bougie

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Glad you are doing so well, that hospital sounds quite a lot different than Mi Doctor. Some of the nurses were good, but too many were not. I got a very good surgeon though and saw him & the assistant surgeon daily. In hindsight, if I could (I don't know if Dr. Lopez even has H. angeles as an option) I should have had my surgery at Hospital Angeles.

Feeling bored after major surgery is a good thing, maybe you will have a little more to keep you occupied once you get to the hotel.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Thanks Luann. At the end of the day, as long as we are satisfied with the results is what counts! Your Dr Alejandro Lopez has a fine reputation and actually trained under Dr Juan Corvala at Hosp Angeles. I felt comfortable paying a premium for my surgeon and hospital.
    I am now watching TV and sipping on Isopure RTD at Hotel Lucerna. Looking forward To heading home on Tuesday.
    Long journey is just beginning. This was confirmed with my meetings at the hospital with the nutritionist and psychologist.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Ok. Surgery is now over and I am on the plane home.
    I had surgery with Dr Corvala May 20 stayed 4 nites at Hospital Angeles and was discharged to Hotel Lucerna for 2 nites.

May 20
    Pick up airport by Raphael uneventful
    Met by onsite coordinator Viridiana who stayed with me during the paperwork process, 30 minutes and brought me to radiology for a chest x Ray. I brought current labs and EKG from my PCP.
    Hospital Angeles is splendid, modern, updated equipment and the ICU and ER are real and active, I saw numerous patients in each.
    Everyone dresses impeccably and the facility reminded me of the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, the #1 Ortho Hospital in the U.S. with the lowest infection rate.
    Angels is Upscale and top tier facility.
    Brought to my room where I took a shower, met all the nurses. I was scheduled for surgery May 21 but the Fellows asked me if I was interested in haveing the procedure later in the evening. I expressed concern about being dehydrated but the hospital protocol calls for 2 hours of IV hydration so I agreed. Dr Corvala greeted me and was very friendly and answered my questions. Since we are both physicians, we spoke about some of the detailed questions in great depth. He had an emergency patient coming in and I Would follow. The emergency was a WLS patient from another clinic since this is the best equipped hospital in the region for emergencies.
    I had a physical with the Fellows and the anesthesiologist/ICU doc, Dr Rivas. He explained that another anesthesiologist would be stopping by and be in the OR with me. She is an anesthesiologist/ cardiologist. Cool.
    She introduced herself and we discussed the induction, maintenance anesthesia, and post op nausea and vomiting meds. Unlike most TJ hospitals, they had all the state of the art and costly meds; Versed, Propofol, IV Tylenol, aprepitant, etc... I was impressed.
    I had 3 surgeons plus Dr . Corvala with me during my stay. This 1 year Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery trained many surgeons in TJ. Dr Corvala was very proud and humble of his program and hospital. Dr Corvala performed the surgery and was assisted by a Fellow who was a 4 year general surgeon.

I took Aprepitant 2 hours before surgery and they were going to administer dexamethasone, Ondasetron and another meds for post op nausea and vomiting. This is a highly efficacious and expensive cocktail.
    I wake up in the PACU and am transported to my room and I asked why was the surgery cancelled. They informed me that the procedure was indeed performed and showed me the bandages. Zero pain or nausea.
    The nurses were amazing and plentiful. They were young, knowledgable and caring and they ran when someone requested assistance.
    I requested and was granted use of the sequential compression device to prevent PE and DVTs for 2 days.
    My blood pressure which is a problem for me was monitored regularly and pain meds, ant acids and blood thinners were administered like clockwork.
    Everything went extremely well. I saw the Fellows twice a day as well as Dr Corvala every morning and early evening.
    One problem: I had a bit of pain near the drain area on the left side of the abdomen one night. I told the nurses that they need a stronger pain med or I would crush and take my Vicodin. They said, no,no,no and ordered an narcotic opiate type of med which worked like a charm.
    Friday, I had consults and received instructions from the nutritionist and psychologist. I can contact them anytime for support.
    The leak test was a modern machine and I drank a clear liquid and saw my new stomach. Dr Corvala uses a 32 FR Bougie and I was provided with my records, CD of leak test, chest x Ray and op report in English.
    Other than getting excellent care, I was starting to get bored and ready to leave by Saturday.
    By Sunday, I was climbing the walls and ready to be discharged and was transported to Hotel Lucerna which is a beautiful and excellent service oriented hotel. I ordered chicken broth and pops for free and room service. I tipped generously.
    Took a few walks,mtook my meds as instructed, injected the blood thinner (6 day supply).
    Transported to airport and on the plane.
    This experience was comparable to top level hospitals in the U.S. I have taught infection control at NY Presbyterian (Cornell Weill and Columbia) in NYC and the sterile/ aseptic technique was good. They gloved anytime going near the IV or bandages. I received 3 IV bags per day which after 4 days is plenty.
    I am on Jet Blue right now and tired. 6 days of TJ was more than enough time to get full treatment and recuperate.
    Dr Corvala will be checking in on me this week and I scheduled an appt with my PCP and local Bariatric surgeon.
    So far so good. It is definitely worth the extra money to get world class treatment from an internationally known surgeon and the best hospital in TJ.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Great report. Much like my experience there, but more medical details.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Good to know, thank you for posting that great & detailed review. Welcome to the sleeved life! Hope you have a nice restful trip home.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Thanks Luann! 2 more hours to NY

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

22 days post op 21 pounds shed which is 10% weight loss for me. My BMI was above 32 when started and now in the 29.5 range
    My cold went away last week and my energy levels are back to normal.
    I saw a bariatric surgeon who will follow me as needed. He seemed pleased with my progression and invited me to his program's support group and to meet with his dietitian.
    He asked me to get a C diff stool sample for loose stools which was negative.
    I am eating puréed foods and getting in 75-100 gems of protein per day.
    Popping chewable vitamins and getting daily ASMBS recommendations.
    Also taking a bunch of biotin and Ursodiol to prevent gallstones. Taking the PPI Dexilant which works fine.
    Bloop pressure meds dose was reduced by 50%. No more Lipitor or aspirin. Sleep apnea fading away !
    That's the 3 week update!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

By the way, when I had a bad cold at home, my PCP went wild with testing blood, venous Doppler and chest x Ray. Good to be back in the USA!

Gastric Sleeve Member chubby4life's Avatar
    Last Activity
    06-17-2015 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How much did you pay sleevero..they are promoting dr. corvala in bari pal for 6,399 with all the services the offer, you know, this and that, how can I find out if it is true?? there's any way you can ask.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

I paid $7500 in April. That did not include any prescriptions upon discharge, travel or my husband's hotel during the stay.

Gastric Sleeve Member chubby4life's Avatar
    Last Activity
    06-17-2015 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It is true, he just joined them in their team of physicians, he's having a great deal with everything included..meds, transportation, recovery house..etc....I send them a message and they called..but it's still a lot of money for me