Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2013 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Am I eating too much?

I'm beginning to scared I think my sleeve can hold too much food. Today is actually my 4th week since I had the sleeve. I know we can take in more liquid and mushy food than solid but, I don't know if it's normal for me to eat that much already. I went back to school last week and I have a few classmates that I hang with for lunch. Tuesday we went to wendy's I ordered a small chilli and a small chocolate shake to tried since my sleeve don't like sweet. I was able to eat the whole chilli and 1/2 cup of that shake before I started feeling full and stop. Today we went to pollo tropical and I didn't want to order soup again since that's what I ordered everyday last week. So, I decided to order a quarter chicken with brown rice and beans to my surprise I was able to eat all the chicken and drink the liquid from the beans that was probably 3-4 oz before I feel full. I wouldn't touch the rice that was for show. Now I think that was too much food for me to eat on both days. I would like to hear from you all how much solid food are you able to eat and if you think that was too much food to eat in one setting? I'm afraid if I keep eating like that I'm not gonna lose the weight.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member holeymoley's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I eating too much?

are u hungry?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

No I'm not hungry and I don't snack in between meals I just ate breakfast lunch and dinner for the most part I ate only twice a day. My breakfast is either a protein shake or half a cup of honey nut cheerios with 1 cup milk or a banana. Lunch is soup or cheese and saltines crackers or peanut butter or a protein drink. Dinner I'll have a piece of chicken with some beans puree or mashed potatoes with gravy. Most of the time I don't feel hungry I just have to remind myself to eat and if I don't my stomach start giggling to remind me it's time. But, in the morning I have to eat or I will feel dizzy, the rest of the day I can go without lunch if I want to.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Nirmal Jayaseelan
    Last Activity
    01-22-2012 12:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

At four weeks post op I was instructed to eat soft foods still and was able to eat what seemed like more then when you are able to eat regular food. I guess because of the volume of the food when its more solid. if you are concerned I would follow up with your surgeon. My surgeon had a concern with me 2wks post op because I was have some pain and immediatley did a swollow test to make sure all was well.

Don't wait if you have concerns call your doctor!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

We had our ops on the same day!

I can eat pretty much anything but still only in small amounts but it depends on what i am eating. The smoother something is the more i can eat but food i actually have to chew i can only manage little bits. I normally dish myself up three tablespoons of food at lunch and dinner and i find by the time i've eaten the meat and vedge i don't have room for the potato but if i have something like lasagna i can eat all three spoons of it. For breakfast if i take my time i can eat a bowl of porridge which seems alot to me but has been ok'd by my dietician.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Drew
    Surgery date
    06/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ken Hollis
    Last Activity
    01-19-2012 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I could eat a lot, I think, but I don't. I dish out a small portion and eat it and I'm done. I don't want to stretch my stomach.

Name
    Noha
    Surgery date
    10/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Adnan Sabahey
    Last Activity
    03-27-2013 10:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

From what I understand having the sleeve does not replace self control. place a reasonable portion in your plate and finish it. Thats all . Try not to go beyond that and start with you protiens then veggies then a small portion of carbs. Hopfully by the time you get to the carbs you will be full. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Thomas
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 637 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 411 Times

i think ur doing fine. ur tummy will let u know when u have had too much. you are not snacking in between meals, i snack all the time and eat very small portions, sometimes, larger portions of sushi especially. u need fuel to burn the fat, so as long as ur loosing weight i think ur okay. when u stop loosing weight then i would seriously consider weighing all portions.

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times
    Was Thanked 355 Times in 317 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

I am so afraid of stretching my stomach that I measure out what I can have and when that is done (and usually I don't finish) THAT IS IT!!! I know it must sound like I live in fear, but I don't really, I am just REALLY staying on top of portion control and WHAT it is that I put into my mouth. AND again, I am only 2 weeks out. Time will tell for me.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so afraid of not losing the weight it scares the crap out of me. I think I might be obsessed with the whole thing. The fact that I failed on so many diets before kind of make me think could it be possible to go through all that and spent so much money for yet another fail attempt at achieving my desire goal weight is driving me crazy. I have another 30-35 lbs to lose we'll see how's that gonna work out.

Quote Originally Posted by connie View Post
    I am so afraid of stretching my stomach that I measure out what I can have and when that is done (and usually I don't finish) THAT IS IT!!! I know it must sound like I live in fear, but I don't really, I am just REALLY staying on top of portion control and WHAT it is that I put into my mouth. AND again, I am only 2 weeks out. Time will tell for me.

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

If you are concerned, see if you can eat less and still be satisfied. Good luck and keep us posted!

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

don't drink with your meals, drink 30 min before or wait 30 min. after a meal, this will help you stay fuller longer, when you drink with your meals you are washing the food down. liquids can go right down and out of the sleeve, but solid foods stay around for a while. I am about the same time out, and I can't eat chili, or drink a shake. I stick with the protein shakes. I can only eat a small amount of broiled fish and veggies, then thats it! I can't get down the mashed potatoes. I am full already. I guess everyone is different. Just watch you drinking with your meals, that may help you. good luck!

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    08/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Billy/Ventura, Calif.
    Last Activity
    08-01-2012 11:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Time to way your food portions and keep a food journal

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Barry Greene
    Last Activity
    03-22-2013 05:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times

I agree with "yankegal", my instructions are to avoid drinking for 15 min. before and 30 min. after a meal. I'm at the end of my 5th week and eat about 2 - 2.5 ounces (measured not weight) at each meal. Some things fill me up faster than others. Also be careful about slider foods. The chili is a good example. Foods in sauces are a lot like liquids and tend to slide right through your sleeve. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/12/2011
    Surgeon
    dr pinheres
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

First of all dont worry, and dont panic..!! ok! dont worry the thing is that now u are able to eat a lil bit more, it is COMPLETELY NORMAL,besides the fact that u were getting used to the small mushy foods, now u can see a plate served for you, but if you do the math and measure what u are eating..taaaaaaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! u are doing great! think about that people that still vomits, or are having problems with water, or certain foods..?? streching you stomach will only happen if you overeat like you did before! and let me tell you my dear it took you years i guess to get to the point you got and we all here got..i didnt get fat overnight...or in two months..it took me years!! so.. relax, enjoy your food..healthy of course...while you adjust to the new portions...remember it was nothing when u were on liquids..then it looks a lot when u passed to the full liquids..and so on..hope this helps you..

19. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast