Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Last Activity
    01-01-2013 12:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Am I doing it wrong?

Hello I live in Germany as a military spouse. I had the sleeve done a little over 3 weeks ago in Salzburg, Austria. Being in the hospital sucked cause I was alone in a country where I didn't speak the language. I am writing here because I am just freaking out. I was not as heavy as most who get the surgery but that is only cause I worked my butt off for a year trying to get the weight off. But due to my history and family history I still felt that it was necessary to get the surgery. Now I am not sure if I am eating right or drinking enough or what if I am doing it all wrong. I mean they had a dietician talk to me but that is problem about being in another country it is all different foods and everything. This could just be me being silly but I am worried. I am not getting the weight loss numbers like most people. Is that cause I lost before the surgery? Am I eating wrong? Why do I get all the bubbly feeling in my chest? The list goes on. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Default Re: Am I doing it wrong?

You may be hitting a stall if you are 3 weeks out. Most people hit a stall 3-4 weeks out. Are you getting at least 80 grams of protein in a day? If not, that can make a huge difference. I have experienced this first hand. When I was not getting the protein in, my weight was at a standstill. Once I increased the protein, the weight loss resumed.

Also, you can't compare yourself to everyone else because everyone loses differently. Some people lose rapidly (I'm not one of those unfortunately). Right now, just concentrate on the healing part and get your protein in. It will come off in time. I am 5 weeks post-surgery today.....there have been ups and downs and of course stalls......we just have to be patient....hope this helps.

Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Last Activity
    01-01-2013 12:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you for the support. I wish I was getting 80g of protein. I am trying hard to get in as much as I can. On a good day I get about 50g. I am not sure what healing things I am supposed to be doing. I mean my wound looks excellent. I have energy somewhat. I am just confused. But thank you.

Surgery date
    07/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. David R. Miles
    Last Activity
    05-08-2012 10:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWife View Post
    ... I was not as heavy as most who get the surgery... I am not getting the weight loss numbers like most people. Is that cause I lost before the surgery? ...
    The heavier you are the faster you'll initially lose. I lost about 10lbs a week the first four weeks and only 4lbs this past week.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    04-15-2012 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWife View Post
    This could just be me being silly but I am worried. I am not getting the weight loss numbers like most people. Is that cause I lost before the surgery? Am I eating wrong? Why do I get all the bubbly feeling in my chest? The list goes on. Any help would be appreciated.
    I was so convinced I had done something wrong after my surgery that I about had a nervous breakdown. I cried every night for almost a week before finally breaking down and calling my doctor's office. My doctor himself was finally able to reassure me that nothing was wrong, that everyone heals differently, loses at a different pace, and does differently after surgery. He also told me to STAY off the scales, and weigh myself no more than once every two weeks. I went into a stall at right at 2 and a half weeks after surgery, and now at just shy of four weeks here I remain. But my mom keeps telling me that she can tell I'm still losing, and a dress I wore two weeks ago was looser today than it was then, so I'm trying to forget about the scale altogether.

As to the bubbly feeling in your chest, it depends on when you get it. I have had reflux controlled by medicine for at least 15 years, but now I've added another med for it because the old prescription couldn't control it. That's like a burning/burping kind of pain. I also sometimes get a very sharp pain as I'm eating if something won't go down all the way. And I have gurgling noises in my tummy a WHOLE lot more than I ever have before. To be honest, I don't remember every having these kind of gurgling noises before. If I'm eating and it starts gurgling, I stop eating as soon as I notice it. Could you be more specific about your bubbly feeling?

I do think, though, that you (much like me) are probably worrying for nothing.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents