Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-25-2014 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Has Anyone Heard of Global Protective Services?

They insure people for complications when they go to another country for surgery. Any detail you can provide would be very helpful!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has Anyone Heard of Global Protective Services?

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I've only found that one. Do you know the names if others? Did you buy a policy?

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Blog Entries

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Do you remember how much it was?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Blog Entries

Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

The company I located for complication insurance abroad is Global Healthcare Connection. My insurance isn't covering any of my complications. God forbid I have any.

Gastric Sleeve Member southernchick's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-05-2016 12:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,428 Times
    Blog Entries

Be positive and spiritual. ..you will be fine

Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are right. That's just the accountant in me plus my nurse mom n sister.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have heard of them, but I didn't use them back when i had my surgery. I took a look at their website, which is kind of odd to me. On there coverage highlights page is says that GPS is cover issued to International Helpers (Guerney) Trust. If you read just there coverage highlights here: http://www.globalprotectivesolutions...-Specifics.pdf

You will see some very important things to consider:

"Global Protective Solutions SM (GPS) is cover issued to International Helpers (Guernsey) Trust. Patients who chose to participate in the Trust are eligible for reimbursement for certain expenses that may result from a complication of a medical tourism event or from an accidental injury resulting from travel outside your home country for an approved medical procedure. It does not include benefits to cover baggage, change fees for tickets or other minor trip related expenses. The purpose was to help with other financial hardships that may occur should an accident or complication from a covered procedure result in a more significant loss.

In addition to the regular travel accident exposure the benefits have been enhanced to include results of a covered complication that occur outside your home country and where indicated for up to 6 months after the initial procedure. You will find most policies only include corrective procedure limits for complications of a covered medical procedure and they typically exclude complications from the rest of the policy.

Complication means Bodily Injury from a Medical Procedure incurred whiles an Insured Person is travelling for the purpose of receiving medical or surgical
    treatment outside the Insured Person’s country of residence. Complication does not include undesired outcomes or a failed procedure. A complication that causes death can not be the result of a previously undiagnosed medical condition that first manifests itself during the insured Person’s period of travel or within 24 hours of return to the Insured Person’s home country. The complication can not result from the Insured Person’s failure to follow all pre- and post- procedure medical instructions."

From the sounds of it they are more of a reimbursement program, but they only reimburse your out of pocket costs for complications and other things after you have paid for the yourself. Then you have to report it, provide supporting documentation for your claims, and the insurance has to determine that your claim meets the criteria covered under your policy.

If you are interested in them, I would request a quote and get the exact details of the policy they intend to provide you with. Read it very carefully ALL of it, and be sure that you understand their meaning of the terminology used for what is covered. (For Example: A policy might say that it covers %100 of all cost incurred, minus a $250 deductible, resulting from an "accident", many people would read that and think...complications are the result of an accident and assume they are covered...when in actuality the policy deems "accidents' and "complications" two very different things, with very different benefit coverage.

You are also going to want to look at things like deductibles, percentile coverage, if the policy deems that they will only pay for costs incurred by a complication, only if the complications are fixed in the country that you received the surgery in. Many policies have a limited active time frame, so it may only cover the terms dictated in your policy for x-amount of months after the surgery...and may have certain disqualifying factors in place that would get your claim denied.

Such as GPS stating that they will not pay for complications resulting from you not following the pre-op or post op diet instructions. Nor to they consider a failed sleeve and complication.

I hope this helps some, if you decide to look further into them, and need any help understanding the fine print feel free to ask.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-09-2016 05:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

The GPS - Global Protective Solutions program, considers a medical complication as an accident. There is no deductible for the medical complications coverage.
    The $250 deductible is only for the travel related accident portion of coverage.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sukik View Post
    They insure people for complications when they go to another country for surgery. Any detail you can provide would be very helpful!
    Yeah, I looked into it back when I was having surgery. I opted not to go with it because I had my fiance look into it and he said that it was oddly structure, more like a trust, which left a lot of loop holes for this to not pay on a claim. I remember looking into the related content and web structure myself and it seemed a bit sketchy. Bare in mind this was like 3 years ago when I researched it, so it could have changed. Just be sure to read the terms and research it thoroughly. Hope this helps some!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

There is nothing sketchy about the Global Protective Solutions insurance program. A trust is in place to coordinate coverage in an international setting, there is no ulterior motives and it makes no sense to find ways to deny claims as that would lead to an adverse image of the insurance. The GPS program is specifically designed for the unique needs of an international medical traveller, and has been assisting and paying claims for 8 years. This is a very specialized cover that "normal" insurers would never be interested in. Also it is underwritten by Lloyds of London, the safest backing available there is in the insurance industry. GPS provides coverage to tens of thousands of international medical travellers on a worldwide basis.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B Simons View Post
    There is nothing sketchy about the Global Protective Solutions insurance program. A trust is in place to coordinate coverage in an international setting, there is no ulterior motives and it makes no sense to find ways to deny claims as that would lead to an adverse image of the insurance. The GPS program is specifically designed for the unique needs of an international medical traveller, and has been assisting and paying claims for 8 years. This is a very specialized cover that "normal" insurers would never be interested in. Also it is underwritten by Lloyds of London, the safest backing available there is in the insurance industry. GPS provides coverage to tens of thousands of international medical travellers on a worldwide basis.
    I would be interested to read more about it, care to send me a link to the website, as well as one to the Lloyds of London site? As I mentioned it was years ago when I looked into the company, so I am guessing some things have changed. I am sure people that travel abroad for medical procedures would love to find a reputable company that they could get insured by. As someone who will be travelling to another country for plastic surgery I would like to find an insurance policy that would cover me after the procedure. Thanks in advance!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

GlobalProtectiveSolutions .com
    Lloyds . com