Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Default Re: What are you all eating a year out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
    It's scary because you will no longer be able to turn to food for comfort or whatever emotional issue it is you overeat for.

You need to figure out "why" you feel the need to eat large portions in order to be successful long term.
    Hi, I am 4 years out, and disagree that you will longer be able to turn to food for comfort or whatever emotional issue...it's kind of true for the first few months, but after that, you have to make the choice NOT to do that. Just like before surgery, you can choose to eat those slider foods on a regular basis and get right back to where you were before. I am totally a stress eater, and I have to be really careful of my triggers. I am in the home stretch of the semester where I am studying to get my MPA and am finding myself craving chocolate. It is a struggle (I also work n the department) not to go to the cafe and get something. I constantly find myself "bargaining" with myself (if that makes sense) that I " deserve" something for all the hard work I did. I rocked that paper! I deserve it! No, I DESERVE to look professional and wear nice clothes, fit in airplane seats, not be laughed at, walk as much as I like without pain, be healthy...yes! I deserve THOSE things, not brownies, no matter how good they are because they are just temporary pleasures that will come back to bite me. This is good therapy for me, so don't think I am criticizing anyone! It helps me to think through why I am doing dumb stuff! Lol. Well, if it helps anyone else, well, that's why we're here, eh?
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Nicely said MBemson....nothing but our heads keep us from turning back to comfort foods. Surgery does nothing about that in the long run.

Congrats on all of your accomplishments!

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't been sleeved yet, and it is scary for me to think that I won't be able to stuff feelings with huge servings of food at first, and if I were able to 'just say no', I wouldn't be this heavy to begin with. So, lot's of things to work through.

I think most of us have lost lots and lots of lbs only to gain it back because we haven't conquered our food demons--whatever they may be.

Also, I know for me, at least...I LOVE food. I will eat a whole head of cabbage or broccoli or cauliflower, because it tastes so good. If it's not that good, I don't eat so much of it. But what is it that makes me want to eat so much of a good thing? why not just a regular portion like a normal person?

That's what I need to figure out.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    Nicely said MBemson....nothing but our heads keep us from turning back to comfort foods. Surgery does nothing about that in the long run.

Congrats on all of your accomplishments!
    Thank you, Kindle! So glad you stayed around!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Stacy Devenney
    Surgery date
    04/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tuggle
    Last Activity
    09-04-2020 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Who doesn't love to eat? I love food too and I will admit that I sometimes get pissed off that I can't eat as much I used to. But you know what's better? - being a size 8 from a 20. I actually love to shop for clothes now. And while I may have a slip up, here and there, my ultimate goal is to keep this weight off and feel and look better. Trust me when I tell you, that when you get this surgery, and you feel that restriction in your stomach, you will stop eating and you will be satisfied. I have never pushed my sleeve to the point where I have thrown up. I'm actually scared of what that will feel like with my little pouch and I don't want to find out. I have never measured my food, so I don't really know how much I'm eating now. It's way less than I used to eat. From a couple of spoonfuls right after surgery, to possibly a cup or so now.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents