Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    03-09-2015 08:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default what is "dumping"?? Questions for vets!

Hey guys, some of you know I just had surgery almost 3wks ago. I am feeling like Im not doing anything right!! Yea Ive lost some weight but I feel miserable after I eat, I usually have to use the bathroom before I am even done eating and then I feel extremely weak and kinda nauseous and need to lie down. Is this dumping? I never know what to eat really also, I was given a short list of foods that I can have by the doc...ckn salad, pureed soup, and turkey chili...there has to be more options?? What were you eating 3wks out? I can barely drink the protein shakes, does anyone have any better options for protein? I can not finish one shake, they are thick and taste like medicine to me. I get so hungry at times and I want the old foods..pizza, Chinese, lasagna..you name it! Ill admit that I have bought and eaten veggie chips, they are the only thing that doesn't make feel like I need to run to the bathroom and then lay down. but I know I cant have chips yet, Ive even snuck in some cheese puffs because they melt in my mouth and I feel fine after eating them. Right now I am afraid to try too much. I am so scared as soon as I can eat that I am gonna be in the old eating habits..ugh! The support groups closest to me are over an hour away so not real convenient. I feel alone and like I am totally failing at this..some one please help!
    NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member monkey67girl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chris Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: what is "dumping"?? Questions for vets!

When you say that you have to go to the bathroom, are you vomiting or diarrhea?

I was sleeved on 12-17, so I am 3 weeks out as well....I have had severe diarrhea...and every time I try to drink a protein shake I have to go to the bathroom before I even finish it...I am worried about the protein too...I don't think I have gotten all the protein I need yet one day...

As far as foods, I am able to eat fat free refried beans, scrambled eggs, yogurt, veg soup, I also ate a small amount of spaghetti, but I mostly ate the meat, and eat it SLOOOOW

Hope this helps some, I am still a newbie!

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cameron Hodges
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Isopure waters help me tremendously! They have no sugar and 40gms of protein. You can get them at GNC. they are pricey but IMO worth it when you can no longer stomach another protein shake! If you become a gold member (it's $15 to do so) you save $15 a case so the card pays for itself your first purchase! They taste similar to Gatorade, but better!
    Reason: Additional info.

Gastric Sleeve Member monkey67girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chris Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I tried really hard to drink the Isopure drinks....they taste just terrible and have a yucky aftertaste to me...

Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cameron Hodges
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Really? They have literally been my savior. Now the protein ice is another story...gag! Want about the unjury chicken broth? I've been considering ordering that too.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member gettingbetter4me's Avatar
    Name
    S.Blackmon
    Surgery date
    12/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

when I say bathroom I mean diarrhea, I have had it since surgery, no firm stools yet. It hits while Im eating. Youre allowed noodles? I was told no pasta for at least 6wks, along with breads. they swell in your belly and can cause vomiting. I haven't tried pasta yet. I have tried isopure, i got orange and coconut. it was $2.50 a bottle on sale. I cant finish a whole one, I don't care for the taste either, taste like unsweetened Kool-Aid. I tried adding splenda and that made it worse! Im not sure what to do. I feel weak and tired most days, especially after eating. I almost feel regretful I had the surgery. I hope things get better. I wish I knew what was safe to eat. Everyones meal plan is different. I was told 3-5grams of sugar only per meal and low cals and carbs. Its hard to find that! Im not very crafty on just making up different healthy dishes, junk food, i can make a good fatty dinner, I am planning on finding a surgical weight loss cook book.

Name
    Traci
    Surgery date
    03/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lufti
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 12:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 402 Times

I think you should contact you Dr's office about this. Have you tried any of the foods that Monkey67girl mentioned? Please don't get discouraged, and feel bad! You have many here to help, just keep on reaching out! Do you have a blender? Maybe try some pureed vegetables (roasted vegs with a little bit of low sodium broth (Swanson has some). Hope this helps!

Surgery date
    11/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ihor Fedorak
    Last Activity
    11-07-2014 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have had similar issues since I had surgery. There are days I don't bother with the protein shakes/drinks because my doctor told me that if it was a case of fluids or protein, to opt for the fluids; however, I like some of the Isopures. My favorite flavor is the Blue Raspberry. You might also try Whey Protein shots. They are available at GNC as well and come in Watermelon, Grape and Fruit Punch flavors. They have 42 grams of protein and are only 4 oz. I would much rather drink plain water or herbal tea, instead of protein and I can't handle the protein shakes as they are too thick. You can also cut the shots with water if you prefer.

As for foods, soft scrambled or poached eggs, greek yogurt with applesauce, 1/4 of a banana mashed and mixed with 1 - 2 TBS of peanut butter, and grits mixed with cooked egg white are all items my nutritionist recommended to help me at your stage. I'll be honest and say that I could do the banana and peanut butter, but I haven't been able to tolerate eggs in any variety or lactose at all so yogurt was out too. Oh and my nutritionist said I was okay eating a few tortilla chips because they broke down easily (melted in the mouth), so I don't think you need to worry too much about old habits as long as you don't rely on the junk food as your only "nutrition".

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Gastric Sleeve Member country girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Suits
    Last Activity
    07-26-2014 09:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

The dumping is normal as far as me and a lot of people have had it. Mine went away about a month ago, I was sleeve d on Sept. 30,2013. Now I am back to normal, constipation most of the time. If I eat too fast I get air and stomach and throat noise, and I am bad about eating too fast. Hang in there. I mostly eat (and did at our stage) cottage cheese and canned pears packed in water,they r soft. I also pure ed or mashed cooked veg s and meat. It will get better soon.
    Reason: just noticed my ticker didn't update! I am to 163 lbs. yea!!!

Name
    S.Blackmon
    Surgery date
    12/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all so much! I was told by the doc office nothing over 5grams of sugar so its hard to even find canned fruit I can eat. lol. I want pears so bad but I wa told if I had over 5grams of sugar at a sitting then I would vomit!? was anyone else told this? I hear of people eating ice cream and sugary smoothies at my stage. Most sleevers talk about watching carbs and cals not sugar so I am just wondering why I was told that because it makes it hard to shop, most things, even soup have more than 5 grams. I know Im not getting in my protein or water like I should. I drink tea a lot now so I guess I can count that as half water? I don't know. I wish I knew what I was doing. lol. I plan to go back to GNC and get different protein shakes and mix it up so Im not stuck with just one flavor. All your suggestions were great! I am eating refried beans with a little enchilada sauce, cream soups and egg salad, string cheese, potatoes and veggies. I puree it in my mouth. I do have a blender and I use it also got a magic bullet. I make ckn salad and I had turkey chili with cheese the other day YUM. I move on to soft foods after Friday..now that I just got the puree stage down..go figure. I do eat my protein first and usually then im full, cant eat my veggies or potatoes. Going to the store this weekend and getting some more veggie chips and Yoplait frozen fruit smoothies to add to my milk for protein, and shop for soft food items I guess. thank you all again! I love this site!

Name
    S.Blackmon
    Surgery date
    12/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tracke38 View Post
    I think you should contact you Dr's office about this. Have you tried any of the foods that Monkey67girl mentioned? Please don't get discouraged, and feel bad! You have many here to help, just keep on reaching out! Do you have a blender? Maybe try some pureed vegetables (roasted vegs with a little bit of low sodium broth (Swanson has some). Hope this helps!
    Thank you Tracke38, I am going to contact them in the morn. I do have a follow up appointment this month as well. I did find that tomato soup with a couple crushed saltines in it ( to make them soft) went down well and no running to the bathroom after..lol thanks for the advice.

Name
    S.Blackmon
    Surgery date
    12/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by country girl View Post
    The dumping is normal as far as me and a lot of people have had it. Mine went away about a month ago, I was sleeve d on Sept. 30,2013. Now I am back to normal, constipation most of the time. If I eat too fast I get air and stomach and throat noise, and I am bad about eating too fast. Hang in there. I mostly eat (and did at our stage) cottage cheese and canned pears packed in water,they r soft. I also pure ed or mashed cooked veg s and meat. It will get better soon.
    yes, I think that may be my problem...eating too fast! I find that my stomach starts gurgling and it seems as though my food is caught in my chest or just below, like a knot. I def need to slow down eating, drink my water and get I my protein! guess that's my new years resolution..lol