Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    10-08-2014 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Eight Days Out

I am eight days out from surgery and still cannot drink near enough water. I can get in about 18-24 ounces a day. I drink about 6-8 ounces of protien drink. Today I had about 4 ounces of egg drop soup and about 2 ounces of pinto bean soup.

My lips are chapped and my skin is dry. I have not had a bowel movement since surgery, however, the doctor's office told me not to worry about that since I am doing a liquid diet.???

I do feel much better than I have but do not want to end up back in the hospital for dehydration.

Any and all advice/help is apprecaited.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-14-2016 03:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eight Days Out

Water was hard fr me at first too. Protein drinks actually made me sick. (Still do ) soups were a blessing! There's really not going to be solidified to make a solid movement...

Honestly I would say sip. Sip. Siiiip. All day. Maybe get 8 water bottles (16.9oz) and just milk em through the day and do your best.

It will get easier. You will learn how you and your new sleeve work together and you will begin to understand its abilities and capacity as well

Hang in there! Oh!!! Pedialyte and pedialyte Popsicles I did those i the beginning too... Tried Gatorade, ew. Eventually just plain ice water is became what was best for me and my sleeve. Ice cold good, hot cocoa (SF) good, room temp not so good, for me at least.

Happy vibes your way!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cameron Hodges
    Last Activity
    02-27-2014 01:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Congrats on your sleeve! I had the same trouble getting fluids in. Try Sipping G2 or just ice chips. Also a sugar free sno cone or shaved ice, even without any syrup went down really easily. Not sure what you're allowed yet, but I lived on small amounts of Greek yogurt. I still have trouble drinking plain water even though I really used to drink tons of it. Try squeezing fresh lemon into it. For some reason that helps me. It gets better!! I used milk of magnesia daily until I had a BM bc the narcotic pain medication & just surgery in general stops everything in the gut. My surgeon said it may be anywhere from 1-10 days after surgery – as long as you are not nauseated or having abdominal pain this variation is acceptable.

Surgery date
    05/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 04:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

I haven't had any trouble with water. I do sip all day, and include 1 32oz bottle of Smart Water which adds electolytes. It tastes pretty good too.

Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member elliscoastie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Whorlton
    Last Activity
    03-07-2018 06:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi! I'm 9 days post op. Had surgery on 5/16 . When I had my jp drain removed 1 week post op, the doc said I was dehydrated. I promised to drink more fluids. I then next saw the NUT and he was about to take me to the ER downstairs and hook me up to an iv. Two days later, here I am, slowly taking in 30 or so oz. of fluids. I'm just not thirsty! I may have to visualize what my intake is by getting a huge mug/water bottle and make sure I get it in. Today was the first day I decided not to take any tylenol or pain meds in so I can wean my body off of those. Tonight is saturday, and I sit here sipping on the same 17 oz. bottle of water I started today. My son took me grocery shopping today and I have to admit I felt a bit dizzy, but being the strong person I am, I kept on going. I got home at 4 pm and was wiped out. Took a 2 hr nap. Hope you are getting your water in.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DisneyDee's Avatar
    Name
    Delinda
    Surgery date
    05/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    10-08-2014 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Ellicoastie, I buy the small 8 oz bottles of water. This way I do not get overwhelmed when trying to finish one of them. The past couple of days my lips have felt chapped and my throat gets super dry at times. At times I want to gulp water but am afraid it would hurt me. I have also had hat dizzy feeling when I am up moving around too much.

I have not had any pain medication since the morning of the third day. I have not had a lot of pain.

Have you lost that much weight since your surgery or had you lost some before your surgery? I have lost about 16 pounds since surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member Butterflygirl's Avatar
    Name
    Sherrie
    Surgery date
    05/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Davidson
    Last Activity
    01-06-2015 10:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Try using a 1oz. medicine cup and try to get that down in 15 minutes. That is the only way i could do it...and i done for most of the day. Now i use a small cup and measure out 4 oz of liquid at a time. )

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cameron Hodges
    Last Activity
    02-27-2014 01:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

The dizziness when you get up & move is from dehydration. Hope you found a few tips here to get you going.

Gastric Sleeve Member ALeighClaar's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paciulli
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 6 days post-op and feeling great for the most part but I never imagined how difficult it would be to get your water requirements in!! I have been sipping on Crystal Light (Raspberry Lemonade!!! SO GOOD) in a Nalgene water bottle which holds a little more than 32 oz. this plus 3 protein shakes at 11 oz. each gives me 55 oz. a day so I know I need to drink one full nalgene plus a little extra. But who knew it would be this difficult, LOL! I have lost 7 lbs. already since surgery. Started today with a light and fit greek yogurt with unflavored protein powder added to get me up to 20 g of protein in the serving. Went down well, took me an hour for one yogurt, again, who would have thought!!! This was more palatable to me, I am getting bored with the shakes already, and I tried some soup last night but it didn't taste as good as I was hoping it would! Best of luck! SIP, SIP, SIP!!
    Highest Weight (11/12): 265 lbs.
    First Check-In @ Surgeons (2/13): 249 lbs.
    Weight Day of Surgery May 22, 2013: 227 lbs.
    First Goal: 200 lbs.
    ONEDERLAND: (!!!!!)
    Second Goal: 175 lbs.
    Third Goal: 150 lbs.

Gastric Sleeve Member Skinnymini's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Last Activity
    09-25-2014 10:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I too am 8 days out! I bring a pint glass of water with me around the house all day. I find it looks less daunting than a big bottle. I keep refilling it all day.
    Hope it starts to get easier for you!

Start weight- 217lbs
    Surgery date -209lbs
    1st goal. -200lbs done
    2nd goal. -180lbs done

Week 8 42lbs down (3 stone)!HALF WAY to GOAL!!!

3rd goal. -160lbs
    4th goal. -140lbs
    GOAL. -130lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    10/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    07-08-2013 03:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had the same problem. I was REALLY worried about my bowel movement (or lack thereof) since I didn't have one for about 2 weeks after surgery, but I took some milk of mag and that helped things along. Regarding your water intake, I would suggest you drink something besides plain water because, let's face it, water is tasteless and kind of unappealing in the beginning. Drink something that tastes good to you; crystal light, gatorade, fruit2o, etc. Sugar free popsicles are a great for a dry mouth since you can suck on it for a while and it counts toward your fluid intake. Just do what you can to get as much fluids in you as possible.