01/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 01:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Lightbulb Worried, Scared and Concered (Considering Sleeve Patient)

Hi......

My name is Danielle and I am approved by my insurance and doctors to proceed with either the VSG OR LBS!!!! YAY ME!

10/10/13 Me: 357
    Currently:354lbs
    Eating Habits: Very Low Flour, Low Sugar ( F.O.G) Farm, Ocean, Ground Lifestyle
    Exercise Level Currently: Moderate (swimming/cycling)

I really want to go ahead with the VSG because I know its less invasive, less maintenance and in the long run I would receive better results at a faster rate than LBS

As I read through posts with VSG I understand you can basically eat almost anything you want in life later as long as its in very small portions.(believe that's correct)....My BIGGEST concern is that the mortality rate is higher than LBS....The fact that I can leak and catch pneumonia, blood clot, heart attacks really makes me think twice....I'm unclear is that after surgery and during the healing time and never have those horrid risks later? Do those percentages change after the healing time? Where can I get valid updated statistics on this online anywhere?...... I do also understand that everything involves a risk especially with surgery nothing is guaranteed but if I am more informed I will be more confident.

I haven't researched the LBS as much as I have with VSG, but it does seem safer to get LBS after all and yes it may take longer to loose the weight that's ok with me but I don't want to keep getting multiple surgeries after the surgery. The tightening I'm ok with, but anything fatal later or many hospital visits after is a big concern for me basically I don't want to kill my own self early on.

With all this I want to put my safety first and feel confident in my decision I appreciate all the advice....I have tried everything and time and time again its always about eating until I was full with me but I know once I do feel full I am satisfied! I have been on a very low flour low sugar F.O.G Lifestyle and have lost 3lbs on my own this past month but am ready to get LBS or VSG to speed this up and be able to have children Im 27! almost time! You all look and like you have had a lot of success but I want to feel more comfortable with my decision on which surgery is best for me.... thx!

THANK YOU VSG FORUM!

aa.jpg

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anne
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    02-19-2020 03:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Default Re: Worried, Scared and Concered (Considering Sleeve Patient)

I think you should really research the LBS more throughly, it has more complications and many here have had them removed and done the VSG. My surgeon said he takes out more than he puts in. I would also say to really give thought about eating habits after surgery, I'm 10 months out and there are just certain things that don't feel right after eating and bring able to eat anything was what got me in trouble in the first place. But I also don't have the craving I used to before, I could have lived on bread, butter, ice cream and desserts and just don't crave it anymore. Overall I'm happy with my weight loss and choice.

Gastric Sleeve Member short sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Karie
    Surgery date
    07/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Kim
    Last Activity
    10-24-2014 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

As stated by Mermaidmb keep researching. My surgeon is not doing LBS anymore because of the inherent complications (problems with fills, slipping etc.) While I certainly agree that there are risks with any surgery, I would argue that the health risks are greater being overweight. I suggest you check into using a facility and surgeon that is associated with a "center of excellence"... the hoops they have to go through to obtain this designation is pretty impressive. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member Happy2BMe's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Why haven't you had any of those cravings? What's the feeling you get? Is it that you can't handle it down? How does someone cravings change so drastically after surgery?

Surgery date
    01/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

thx short.... center of excellence got it!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    The Tina
    Surgery date
    10/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hata
    Last Activity
    01-22-2021 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi.
    My vote is for the sleeve but you will have to decide with your surgeon. But. I have a friend who is a BSN and she used to assist with Lap bands in Wilmington, NC. When I spoke with her about me, she called her friend who is the bariatric coordinator because I was trying to decide between the two. The bariatric coordinator advised me to get the sleeve instead of the band due to the greater success with the sleeve.

Also, at one of my pre-surgery appointments, I was told the % of weight loss for each of the 3 bariatric surgeries. The band has the lowest percentage of excess weight loss but I can't remember the percentages for each surgery. I think for the sleeve it is 70% of your excess weight.

Good Luck and happy researching!

Surgery date
    01/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

thx tinoch

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey there, welcome to the forum and take a deep breath for yourself and relax. We all know what it's like being on the other side trying to decide about the surgery for you. I decided on the sleeve over the lap band for a few reasons: I didn't want to have to bother with the constant after care for the rest of my life which would include doctors visits forever and extra cost out of pocket forever and ever. Although the sleeve is more radical in that it removes such a great amount of the stomach, it really and truly is thee best way to go in the long run. My surgeon said most people are opting for the sleeve over the lap band. The ones now who usually get that are those whose surgery will not cover the sleeve or who might be not comfortable with the stomach being permanently removed. So many here have had revisions from the band to the sleeve a few years down the line.
    There are more complications with the band, chances of it slipping, leaking, growing into the stomach, infections, etc.
    For me, speaking only from my experience, the other benefit with the sleeve was the taking out of the part of the stomach with the grehlin, the hunger hormone. I can honestly say since the day of surgery I've not been "hungry" in the old sense of the word. I'm not driven by hunger, don't get hunger pains and want to devour anything I see in front of me. That has been a true blessing. I'm no longer at the mercy of my body, kind of betraying me and driving me to eat, eat, eat.
    I know it seems weird to people who haven't had the surgery and who haven't experienced this phenomenon, but for me, it's very true.
    The sleeve has given me true freedom from the almost 40 yrs of excess weight and the weight battle I fought all that time.
    For the first time in my life I'm beginning to think and feel like a "thin" person...which I've never ever been able to relate to.
    I am literally half my size and it has been pretty easy for me to stay that way. I reached my current weight about 11 months out of surgery and have stayed there where my body naturally wants me to be. I am sooooo happy with that, I can't even tell you.
    The decision is totally yours but make it intelligently, do your research. Don't let any fears guide your decision. In the end, you have to be at total peace with it in your mind and heart. That peace has always been a clue for me that I'm on the right road.
    Wishing you all the best and let us know what happens.

Surgery date
    01/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Thx Mary I'm happy for you...but I'm more concerned with the risks....complications am I over thinking this ? I hate the idea of stapling....leakage anything going wrong....how often does something like that happen why does it happen in depth where can I.find more info.on.this...what's the risk after the surgery.....after healing

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

I'm gunna put it out there if I may LOL this is just my advise (I'm pretty blunt don't take it to heart I just care and don't want anyone to get anything bad for them)
    Don't get the band as alot of doctors will not touch them anymore. Kaiser out sources those doctors because of the complacations as they don't even want to deal with the band at all.
    All surgeries will have complacations and everyone is different. You should ask your doctor about these as they can better tell you. since we don't know your medical background we don't really know if your a higher risk for any of those complacations.
    I choose the Sleeve because I loved to eat alot! I didn't really eat bad but I could eat a half of a large pizza no problem and Loved every min of it or a big ass salad LOL so the Sleeve worked well so far for me. I can eat almost anything now. some stuff I haven't tried like ice cream, chips ect. I can only eat about a half of a half sandwich. I can't do spicy foods anymore but thats okay you see you don't really want the bad stuff anymore its weird! Candy is all around me and I haven't even licked a lollipop from halloween LOL

I feel free from food. I don't crave it as much. before it ruled my world, like I made sure I ate alot incase I couldn't eat later... It was sad really. Now I feel like the food doesn't rule me. I can eat alittle bit and be fine or not feel like if I don't eat I will kill someone. I can't explain it any better then feeling free from food. It was the best thing I have done for myself. I have lost 60 pounds I have started to excersize to the point where I'm seeing my mucles under my skin and I get so excited to see them it makes me want to keep going! The sleeve cuts out those cravings because you don't have that part of the tummy that produces it anymore so it was the best thing for me. please do some research on all the weight loss Surgerys as they are all different and all produce different things. you have to find one that works for you. If you are a sweet and fatty foods eatter you may want to look into the RNY. If you just like to eat alot like me the sleeve will help you out with that.

Good luck to you and I hope I wasn't to blunt Don't be scared you are helping your body out

13. Said thanks: