Dr. Saddiqui
    Last Activity
    01-13-2015 04:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Failed Sleeve?

Well, I made an impulsive decision and went to Mexico for a sleeve revision. It was quite an experience, and one that I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but it is done and from the looks of the x rays that I saw, I have even less of a "pouch" than after my first surgery. To be honest, I don't see any pouch at all in the x-ray. Just a long thin tube of a sleeve. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I am on day 4 post surgery #2 and so far I'm doing pretty well. Day 1 and 2 were rougher than I remember with the 1st sleeve surgery. But, the dr. in Mexico doesn't give narcotic pain meds. That may have made a difference. I am very hopeful that in a few months I will be able to report that there is a lot less of me. Time will tell!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    sheri
    Surgery date
    06/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pat Chobin
    Last Activity
    08-26-2014 09:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't feel my sleeve failed me, BUT...I did not lose as much as I wanted. I did however lose what the surgeon said I would which was about 60% of my excess weight. I was hoping to lose 100 pounds, lost 65 and play with 5 pounds up and down, so she was right on. I am a little older 58 when I had the surgery, and wondered if that was part of it. I also have trouble getting enough fluid down and exercise. I am not done yet though, I am shooting for at least another 20 pounds. A great benefit to even the 65 pounds is that I am off blood pressure meds, and all medications period! I feel a lot better and am always saying...this time a year ago...I couldn't do this or that. I really hope you are able to get this resolved, perhaps they did not make your sleeve small enough, or maybe you should consider by-pass?? Just a thought. Best to you.

oh wow.. just read that you went to Mexico..lol...guess I should have read more..but glad you got it done and praying that you have GREAT success.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member happyrock4680's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/09/2014
    Surgeon
    dr Victor liew
    Last Activity
    07-31-2014 07:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I got told highly unlikely to lose weight if you have had a band to sleeve revision. Sux bigtime thats what I had, but after so many problems with band & malnourishment. I am now healthy

Surgeon
    Dr. Saddiqui
    Last Activity
    01-13-2015 04:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jill,
    I can really relate to your situation . I believe that my surgeon was conservative when he did my surgery causing me to be unsuccessful . I too felt no restriction. I got a sleeve revision a week ago and this time I definitely feel restriction. I feel encouraged but in hind sight I probably should have gone with the RNY procedure . Don't give up. I too am afraid that I'll fail again but I feel like we all have to keep trying until we find what works for our bodies. The sleeve and band are not the more aggressive procedures. Maybe your body just needs something more aggressive . Ultimately what we all need to remember is that we haven't really failed if we haven't given up trying. We have just experienced setbacks and procedures that. Weren't a good fit for our needs. Don't give up!

Gastric Sleeve Member one4sailn's Avatar
    Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-11-2022 10:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Quote Originally Posted by smhagood View Post
    Well, I made an impulsive decision and went to Mexico for a sleeve revision. It was quite an experience, and one that I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but it is done and from the looks of the x rays that I saw, I have even less of a "pouch" than after my first surgery. To be honest, I don't see any pouch at all in the x-ray. Just a long thin tube of a sleeve. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I am on day 4 post surgery #2 and so far I'm doing pretty well. Day 1 and 2 were rougher than I remember with the 1st sleeve surgery. But, the dr. in Mexico doesn't give narcotic pain meds. That may have made a difference. I am very hopeful that in a few months I will be able to report that there is a lot less of me. Time will tell!
    Just wanted to chime in and say that i am super hopeful for you, after this revision! It's a fantastic sign that you are feeling the restriction the way you should...fingers are crossed for you!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Grenburg
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Monica
    you are not alone ! I to think the sleeve has failed on me. I am 1 year post op and have only lost 47 pounds with the surgery. I lost the 47 pounds in the first 6 months and have not lost ANYTHING in 6 months. ( I have not gained , just no loss ) Finally at my 1 yr post op appointment the Dr. said " wow you are on the very Low side of weight loss, I would of thought that you would have hit your 100 pound make by now " . Umm ya you think ! Well after pretty much begging they did do the upper Gi & the radiologist said my pouch did look a little big , the surgeon ( not mine) said it looked fine. Omg I wanted to scream. Her ( the Dr.) said I needed to re think my diet and exercise .

I try to maintain a 1,200 calorie diet ( on a bad day 1,400) I track all my food with myfitnesspal.com . I drink a lot of water & still nothing. The Dr. said I should lower my food intake to 800 / 1000 calories ! Waaaahhhh ! I want to Scream ! I know each case is different but seeing everyone else lose weight make me so jealous and mad. I like you also never feel full. I have no food restrictions, I can eat anything. Not a lot all at once but I in my own head feel like my intake is bigger then a sleeve patient should be. This journey has been the hardest head game roller coaster that I have ever been on. I am not giving up ! I will tweek my diet and fitness until I figure it out. You are not alone ! I wish you well. I am determend to get my last 70 pounds Off.
    Journey started
    April 8th,2013 ~ 347 lbs

Surgery day
    June 26th,2013 ~ 316 lbs

2 month post op
    August 21st,2013 ~ 292

3 month post op
    September 26th,2013 ~ 279

4 month post op
    October 24th,2013 ~ 271

6 Month post op
    December 18th,2013 ~ 271

7 1/2 months post op
    February 5th, 2014 ~ 266

1 year post op
    June 26th,2014 ~ 269

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

nymoosic: I was able to eat a 6 oz yogurt at about 5 - 6 weeks. I have worried like everyone else that my sleeve isn't tight enough - but I have lost 110 $'s since Feb 14. 2014 so my worries (at this point) seem to be just a side effect of being heavy most of my life. The fact that so few people do "fail" at this sleeve should let us all rest more easily. I for one do not want to have to be on a "Diet" - I have done that for so many years: this is one reason I went to the drastic measure of the sleeve - so that I could lose the weight and keep it off and then live a more normal lifestyle.

Name
    Monica
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Hargroder
    Last Activity
    07-17-2014 08:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I logged in. I basically was too depressed to read so many success stories. I felt like a freak - a rare anomaly. How could someone not be able to loose weight when most of their stomach is gone? Well, it looks like I'm not alone and I'm surprised at how many have posted recently. Since you asked, I'll update you. I have now gained backed the 20 lbs I lost after I had my sleeve revision. I have never felt restriction. I must diet and work out hard to lose. I'm tired of dieting. I basically have given up. I just try to eat healthy, drink lots of water, and try to keep the lbs at bay. Every now and then, if I get really serious (<1,000 cal and walk 30 min a day) I can lose 5 lbs over a month, but as soon as I go back to eating normal (about 2,000 cal a day) I gain. I'd never recommend the sleeve to anyone. But it's probably just related to me being banded first and then unbanded Anyway, I spent way too much on useless surgeries. If I lose anymore, it will have to be the old fashioned way. Thanks for asking about me and good luck to all of you on your journeys.

Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    07/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Andrew Hargroder
    Last Activity
    08-02-2017 06:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery with Dr. Hargroder! He's wonderful!
    I've heard he's the best in La!!!
    Good luck with everything...keep us posted

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Shondel and Jay
    Surgery date
    01/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-26-2017 11:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Hello!
    A friend of mine also had the Lap Band and lost 80 lbs. initially then her band started slipping. After the 3rd time it slipped her surgeon told her she needed to have a revision to a Sleeve. In the meantime she gained 40lbs back before getting the sleeve done. Since having the sleeve in February 2014 she has only lost 20lbs. Her surgeon told her sense she had the Lap Band first he couldn't get the sleeve as small as he would of liked to. So she has been really discouraged also. I had my sleeve surgery in January and have sense lost 100lbs. But I can still only eat about a half a cup of food a day. My girlfriend can eat a lot more then me. My heart breaks for you both, I hope your Doctor can help you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

Hi Folks, It's Lorna Doone here. For those of you who don't know me I was sleeved in 2010 and was one of the original posters on this board when it was first started. I have regained 35 pounds since my surgery in 2010. I will be going for revision surgery within the next 3 yrs. Hopefully sooner than later but due to finances right now have to hold off. I've made the decision to convert to the DS. There's no shame in revision surgery and it happens to many people. I know as I am on many WLS boards. The people I am speaking to are telling me of many do-overs. As far as the revision goes I have been told I can either convert to RNY OR DS. I'm choosing the DS as it has the best hope for long-term weight loss. However, I'll be taking a lifetime of vitamin supplements. I made the decision after thinking long and hard and mulling it over after this past year. My weight is slowly creeping back up little by little.
    When I go for revision surgery, I'll ask them to look at my sleeve to see what happened however I'm definitely adding the switch provision to my revision.
    Any questions fire away. And yes, I have spoken to revision sleeve to DS patients and they told me it was the best decision they made.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Eibes
    Last Activity
    04-21-2015 08:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nymoosic View Post
    I also had a band (2007) and lost close to 100 lbs. I had restriction - bigtime restriction. I had my band out eight weeks ago due to problems that started during my pregnancy. I had a sleeve done not even three weeks ago and this doesn't feel like restriction at all. I, too, am worried because I can eight 6 oz. of yogurt already with no problems whatsoever. I feel nothing when I drink - I do not have to sip like I did with my band. Did I do this for nothing???

This is my story exactly . Loved my band--slipped while pregnant--sleeved--no restriction--always hungry.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Eibes
    Last Activity
    04-21-2015 08:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thankyou for this post. I've posted a few times and the only people to reply are the successes . It's not what I'm eating it's how much I can eat compared to what they can eat. Something isn't right.

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds to me like the sleeve didn't fail most of you YOUR SURGEONS DID. You should not be able to eat a lot of food right out of surgery and you should feel big time restriction. I would be seeking answers from a different surgeon not the one you originally went to. They will try to talk their way out of making a too big sleeve to protect their own butts. Pisses me off to see people getting shortchanged by their surgeons. I am so sorry to those who haven't had success with the VSG but based on what many of you say on trying to stick with the diet and still not losing weight sounds to me like your surgeons failed you. You didn't fail AT ALL. You didn't get the tool that others got in my opinion. Time to get answers.

And to the lady who got a revision and now feels restriction GOOD FOR YOU. SOunds like you got a proper sleeve this time around from a surgeon who knows how to make a nice proper sleeve. I hope to hear more of your story in the future and that it is all success.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

I actually posted something similar - but in more detail when I was about a month and a half out. You can go to this link and read what I wrote: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/a...he-sleeve.html

BUT, what is more important - read what others wrote to me - they were wonderful and gave me such good advice. I am now at about 8 months out and no longer have any of the feelings that I did originally. I think I was not feeling good, worried about "many things" and I was depressed. The phrase "this too shall pass" is how I look at things looking back.

Things really WILL get better! I have lost almost 100#'s and tons of inches - and I FEEL better generally - so I am proof things do change for the better. I can eat just about anything I want but thanks to the sleeve I still have the restriction enough inside to make me stop when I have enough. (If I overeat I do get a pain in my tummy - but I have learned to feel when one more bite will make me sick and it usually doesn't. I had a steak dinner with friends the other day and it tasted so good that I actually ate all 5 oz of it - filled me to the brim but I didn't eat anything else with it. Hmmm good - but I am 8 months out and didn't even think of trying this until now. I can eat a sandwich if I want, but usually there are other things that I am more hungry for. I still love chocolate, but am very happy with a crisp new apple from a nearby orchard. (Which is an example of me working with my sleeve. - however I do buy a hershey bar once in a while, and make it last - just a few squares at a time are enough). There isn't really anything that I can't eat if and when I want to - but I do it in moderation. I eat out with friends all the time and have a wonderful time. No, I don't always order what they do, and sometimes share a dinner with my husband, but I am ok with that.

Things really will get better. Please go back and read what others have told you without judgement or without trying to find them wrong in what they said. I have been on this board for a while now and while I don't always agree with what is said, I take it to heart and appreciate ALL the people who have taken the time to answer me or lift me up when I am down.

You didn't make this decision overnight to have the surgery. Please don't decide overnight that it is not working and you are a failure. A new baby needs to crawl before they walk, and your tummy is like that of a new baby. You wouldn't give a baby a steak; their stomach's won't handle it and neither will the stomach of a newly sleeved. This is such a short time in your life and I can promise you that if you give yourself and this surgery you have had a chance you will find the life saving procedure you had will really give you a new life.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast