Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 01:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hello from KY!!

Hello I am April from KY! I have not had surgery yet, but I am seriously considering all of this. I have always had a problem with being overweight, except for a couple of years there right towards the end of high school. Then I got pregnant and my weight skyrocketed again. It has went up since then and I am at 265lbs. I am around 5'8. It does average out a little better but I would love to get down under 200. I would honestly be happy with 185. When I weighed that much, I was alot happier. Clothes were easier to get, shoes were easier to buy because my feet have stretched along with my butt.
    I seriously need to get something done. I have terrible back pain and cant do alot of exercise other than household chores to lose weight. How many times can you seriously vacuum the floor in a day's time to lose calories? I would more than likely burn up the motor. After about 10 minutes of standing, I have to sit down or I am screaming.
    I want to be healthier for my husband. He has no problem losing weight, of course not he is a man LOL. He went to work and dropped almost 30 lbs. He can cut back on one thing and boom another 10lbs gone..He says that I look fine but if I wanted to lose weight to make myself happy, that he supports me. So I have the support there.
    I have been drug free for two years, so this is something else that I think will lift me to the place in life that I need to be. I just really want to be able to get back to the smaller clothes section of stores, I dont care if its the largest size there but I just hate the fact that I used to be a size 8 slim and now I am a 22/24. If I had my muffin top gone and my hips were just a bit smaller, I think I would be able to slide down a size. My back is hurting worse every day, it is never going to get any better. I have also noticed problems with just doing normal things like bending over to tie shoes, when I get back I feel like someone has cut off my air. I think my BMI is 39.9 from what the website thing showed me. I hope that it doesn't sound selfish to just want to lose weight to be able to wear smaller clothes because that really isnt all. I just miss the skinny me.
    I also have a serious addiction to Pepsi, something that I know if I could just get rid of I would lose some weight. I am just new to all of this. We are also having fertility problems, I have heard that if you are obese that it can add to the problems of not conceiving. We have been trying for five years and nothing. If I lost some of the weight and got pregnant, my life would be complete. I would be very happy, I am with the person that I will die with which not many can say without some doubt. My relationship is perfect, just got to get some weight off. I really hope that I dont come off shallow, I think we all have our own reasons for wanting to lose the weight.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member purplhouse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabera
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 02:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from KY!!

I am a major Diet Coke drinker myself, and I have to warn you, you have to resolve that addiction before the surgery because drinking carbonated beverages afterwards causes incredible pain. I have been trying to wean myself off it for a week now (my surgery is scheduled at the end of September), and it has been one miserable week. If you are seriously considering surgery, you should research what your diet will be like, both pre-op and post-op. When I was first thinking about WLS, I had the naive notion that I would go in, have the operation, recover for a day or two, and then start eating tiny portions of normal food right away. Hahahahah! No. Many doctors recommend a pre-op liquid diet to jump-start weight loss and shrink the patient's liver before surgery (your experience may vary; most of the people I've read up on say they had to do it for two to three weeks before surgery. I have to do it for six weeks) and all of us have a strict diet to follow afterwards that begins with all liquids and very gradually goes to soft foods. Most people do not seem to start to introduce "real" food again for 8 to 12 weeks. Despite what naysayers insist, this is not an "easy way out". It is a lifelong committment, so before making any decisions, research research research and really think about what you're doing. This forum is really a great, supportive place to find lots of information.

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    01/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Boorse
    Last Activity
    04-18-2016 10:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 565 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I've only been here for a week or so but have learned so much already in that short amount of time. I'm still in the beginning phase of my journey, much like you. I would definitely suggest research, research, research. If you live in the States, look into your insurance and make sure the procedure is covered and what sort of requirements they have pre-op. Most insurances will not cover the surgery with a BMI lower than 40 unless you have other health issues -- diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Look into the WLS programs in your area, attend a general information night if they are offered, or even a support group. Ask questions. Be absolutely sure that this is the route you want to take because this will take WORK on your part.

Good luck moving forward!

Twitter: TheJenn_C

Gastric Sleeve Member ecarasick83's Avatar
    Name
    Liz
    Surgery date
    03/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hi April!
    All I can say is that having the sleeve done changed my life for the better. I used to be a soda addict. Not anymore. With this surgery, you can no longer have soda. You'll see, the weight drops off sooo fast once you ditch the soda. I used to be a size 22/24, now I'm a 14/16. I'm not where I want to be quite yet but I'm on my way. So if I were you, I would check it out with the doctor and see what they say about the surgery. Good luck to you!!