Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    12-26-2018 04:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile Nervous but trying to remain optimistic...

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and just starting my journey to hopefully getting the gastric sleeve. This will actually bbe my second attempt at wegith loss surgery, as I tried probably 4 or 5 years ago to get the lap-band but my insurance company denied me. I tried appealing yet still denied, even though my PCP, psychiatrist, nutritionist and everyone else throughout the process thought I was a good candidate and approved me. Needless to say this was very disheartening. I am now under my husbands insurance plan, which is still UHC, but hopefully since it's a different plan I might have more success. I currently do not have any comorbidities that I am aware of anyways, but I do have a long list of obesity and comorbidities in my family. I am a little nervious and worried about starting this process again after the experience I had the last time around. Since being declined I have tried multiple times to get the weight off, as I have for most of my life, and as usual I will lose a little and then come to a complete stand still for months. Eventually the weight begins to creep back on and next thing I know I am heavier then before. I am ready to start a new and healthier life. I am only 32 years old, but feel like I haven't been living my life. My BMI is 40 but again no comorbidities, so that makes me worry that UHC will deny me yet again. I am going to the educational seminar again this coming Saturday and that will officially begin my journey. Wish me luck and I will keep everyone posted.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kimpossible318's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    09-08-2014 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 188 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,437 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nervous but trying to remain optimistic...

Good luck to you! I hope this time around works out for you. I am a big believer in everything happening for a reason...sometimes we don't understand what that reason was, but maybe in your case it was because you weren't meant to have the lap band. Keep us posted!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    04/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think you might be right though, because after more years have passed and I've done additional research I feel that the sleeve is definitely a better option for me. My older brother actually had the lap band done about 4 years ago and he is now at his biggest weight, so it definitely did not work well for him. I have actually convinced him to go with me to the seminar this weekend and told him that he should check into the sleeve as well and getting his band removed. I'm hoping that if we go through this together it might make this a little easier for both of us.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimpossible318's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    09-08-2014 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 188 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,437 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, I hope he does go through with it too. How awesome to have that kind of support! I started this whole process back in April and was initially going to have the bypass, but felt really uncomfortable about it. I got approved by the end of May, but due to work constraints can't have have my surgery until 9/16. At first I was so annoyed by not being able to do it right away, but this time has allowed me the opportunity to research and that research lead me to the sleeve. I had initially dismissed it since I had never heard of it before and now I couldn't be more excited about going through with it.

I'm pulling for ya!! =)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lighterlori'slovelylife's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-06-2014 08:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I hate insurance companies. The sad truth is they want you good and sick - how else will they make money?? I have UHC and they had the nerve to tell me my high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, and gerd were not enough to cover the surgery since it is considered cosmetic.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Honestly in my opinion try to find the money and skip those cosmetic butt monkeys. Take back your life - We are here for you!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/10/2013
    Last Activity
    08-04-2014 09:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 59 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I was in the same boat! Went for approval 3 years ago and got denied because I was obese but not obese enough (BMI 38-39.9!). Started the process again last September (my BMI was now 40), went though ALL the hoops to be denied in December because my BMI had not been 40 for two years! Luckily I had a team to fight for me and the RN in charge of everything kept me on her calendar and on the 2 year date exactly she resubmitted and I was approved. Then my surgery was delayed because I gained 10 pounds in between the beginning of December and the end of May- the period I was in limbo- and the surgeon wouldn't schedule a date until I was back to where I started. So 3 years, 2 denials, 1 crash diet to loose 10 pounds in a week and I was finally set for a sleeve. It was worth the fight. I just wish insurance had seen it sooner. Where would I be today if I had surgery 3 years ago? :/ But I wish you the best of luck! We're here for you and know there are others who went through the nonsense too!

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member chellebelle's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 08:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm just starting too. These insurance companies are a nightmare! I hoping when the time is right everything will fall into place.

Gastric Sleeve Member Taylor32909's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    08/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Domkowski
    Last Activity
    01-12-2017 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Ok so I had a nightmare so I thought but let me tell you about it. I too have UHC and was so worried I was going to get denied. I have a 40 BMI too and I sent in 4 years of medical history that showed my weight and weight loss attempts, and along with the phsyc evaluation and my doctors notes. My doctor was ready for an appeal because he could show that I was borderline with comorbidities but it was not needed!! 2 weeks after it was sent in I was approved. You doctor will work hard to get you approved if need be because he wants the money lol. I stressed for 2 weeks and they didn't even need to appeal it. Good luck!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    04/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

I know, I can't stand dealing with insurance companies. I know that our insurance plan does cover bariatric surgery and when I was declined before they did not mention anything about it being cosmetic. However, we are still with UHC but our plan is now through my husbands employer for railroaders. I'm hoping, even though it's the same insurance company, the fact that it's a different plan and through a different employer will make a difference. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    04/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry that you had such a bumpy road to get approved, but it atleast makes me feel that there could be light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the encouragement and I will be sure to post an update as soon as I go along.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terracina
    Last Activity
    09-30-2013 12:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Good luck!! I have UHC and I was covered without any issues at the same bmi. Hopefully this plan works better for you and gets you covered. I work two jobs and my other insurance absolutely doesn't cover wls. Keep us updated once you get approved ;-)

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member newme4ever's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    06/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pham
    Last Activity
    07-16-2014 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I have UHC in New York, I had BMI of 40 with no comorbidities and I was approved within 10 days. They even sent me brochures about all of the weight loss surgery options and a booklet from them with all kinds of info on post-op and their 1-800 #'s for support. In fact I was going for the lap band when an RN from UHC called and spoke to me about the sleeve and how much more success patients have with it. I am so thankful for that call as I would be miserable with the band I am sure of it! I pray you have the same luck I had, I was anticipating disappointment but was so very wrong. Good Luck!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    04/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Your post just gave me a little more hope. I read so much negative about UHC and denying people that it's nice to hear you had no issues. I'm actually going to be going to the Dr this week because I feel that I may have acid reflux. I've been having issues for a while but I'm beginning to think that this is more than just typical heartburn. If this is in fact the case, it might help me with my approval as well. Not that I'm hoping I have it or anything, but I know that it may be considered a comorbitity. I just really feel like this is my time... I've talked to my husband about getting this procedure done, and of course he really feels that it's not necessary but he will support me in whatever decision I make. Which is good because I'm not sure I could do this without his support. I feel that I know my body and what I am capable of and I know this is the best solution for me. I knw some people look at this as an easy way out and believe me I truly understand that this is not easy. It is merely a tool to help guide me on my journey. It's going to take a lot of life changes both mentally and physically, but I can honestly say I am ready. Ready for a new beginning in life!