Surgeon
    Peeter Soosar
    Last Activity
    01-25-2014 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Default Coming off Insulin following sleeve surgery

I currently take four insulin shots per day. I'm considering getting the sleeve because I have issues with absorbing calcium now without surgery and know it would be harder with the full bypass. Have any of you come off insulin and diabetis pills following your sleeve surgery. I am anxious to put my diabetes into remission so I can return to driving a truck. I miss doing that for a living and it paid well. Thanks in advance.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Svendson
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Coming off Insulin following sleeve surgery

i currently do not have diabetes...thank goodness, but a very close friend of mine was off all her meds at her 1 month check up!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/22/2013
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I was able to come off my diabetes medication while on my 2 week pre-op diet. (My diet was a very strick liquid only diet). While in the hospital I had to get insulin shots because of the steroids that was given prior to surgery. After leaving the hospital I have not taken anything for diabetes. (and also off of my high blood pressure meds now too). I just had my 3 month check up with my primary care physician and my A-1C is in the normal range. The diabetes is one of the main reasons that I chose to have this surgery. I would do it again today. Absolutely no regrets. It is a learning process but it is well worth it.

Name
    Married
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Edward Mun
    Last Activity
    08-16-2014 01:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

my diabetes is in better control now...its beween 90 and 140 I am off insulin and glipizide pills..now only metformin...I have lost over 30 pounds and my dr tells my that the more weight I lose means that my diabetes is going to go away no matter what....it's happening at slower pace for me and I am okay with that...I've been diabetic since I was 22 years old ..I am 38 years old right now....I am so happy to be 30 lbs lighter and on less meds too...This would have never happened to me without getting sleeved....

For me during the pre op diet my sugars were extremely high in the 250's my body felt like it was starving causing me to have liver dump syndrome--it was awful....now that I am on a restictriced diet (sleeve) and we eat more plenty of protein I say full longer and satisfied too....

I have never regretted getting sleeved at all...I feel healthier and happier now...I can see the future....before I was so bummed that I was living with diabetes and could not get in under control at all no matter what I did.....

Surgery date
    08/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 01:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times

I am on day one of my pre-op diet. I take 100 units longlasting at night and 10 units fastacting at every meal. I also take 2000 mg metformin and 5 mg onglyza. While on the pre-op the doc cut all of these in half and told me to closely monitor. I just tested and it was a 94 for the first time in over a year. My goal is to at least eliminate the insulin and keep the sugars under control. It was my 10th anniversary in May of being diagnosed, so I know I am borderline as to whether or not the surgery will get me off all of the diabetes meds.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-05-2014 09:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the sleeve surgery on 5/24. Before surgery I was taking Victoza injections and Lantus injections, as well as metformin and blood pressure medicine. I am completely off of the Victoza and blood pressure meds and down to 1/3 of the dosage on the lantus, 1/2 dosage of Metformin. I expect my doctor will take me off all meds at my 3 month check up in a couple of weeks.....plus, I feel terrific!