Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Kramer
    Last Activity
    07-03-2014 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 654 Times

Default Is it wig time????

Well it has finally happened, You can now see my scalp!! OMG YES MY SCALP!!! You can see it in front no matter what I do. What can I do? I have been taking biotin and vitamins. I also eat my protein. Is it time to get a wig? I cant afford one made with real hair. My hair is short so I know there are some cute wigs out there. What have you all done? I need help!!! At this rate I will be completely bald in no time. Help me somebody!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-20-2014 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it wig time????

You should talk to your doctor and see what else you can do... You might need to up your protein more. I have heard some people say after about 9 months it can return to normal... I am scared about this...

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Kate
    Surgery date
    07/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jones
    Last Activity
    08-28-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told protein and good fats like canola oil help with hair.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Celeste
    Surgery date
    06/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-26-2014 01:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

have you tried hair treatments for regrowth of hair I know head and shoulders has one that is not that expansive? good luck to you
    Celeste

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

It sounds like it's time to at least go wig shopping. Just see what is available in your budget. Try some on. If you don't like the way they look you don't have to buy one. You might find something just right.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/21/2013
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 09:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

In the last 2 weeks, the hair loss hit hard! I'm also seeing my scalp . It comes off in gobs in the shower and when I run my fingers through my hair. I am going on 4 months post op. I'm following my diet perfectly and am taking all my supplements too. In 2002, I lost 80 lbs with weight watchers very slowly and I remember my hair getting very thin. This time feels so much worse, but I have lost the weight quicker. My doctor assures me it will stop and return to normal . I'm hoping it stops soon I've got to remember to wear a hat in the pool next time, super sunburned on my thinning crown and part ,ouch!!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

I lost 3/4 of my hair 3 years ago during a severe illness, where despite my getting 3,000 cal TPN (complete IV feedings) and taking in protein milkshakes at least twice a day and eating what I could tolerate, which consisted of mostly nuts and berries, and weekly IV iron. Despite the caloric intake (greater than 4-4,500 per day), I still lost 10 lbs a week. My body was burning up everything for healing and staying alive. My MD told me that when your body is in such a crisis state, it starts to let go of non-essential functions. To my dismay, hair drew the short straw.

I did buy a wig... But never wore it out of the house, I felt even more self conscious. The alternative was to cut my hair short - to my ears and layered for body (it was well beyond my bra strap), lighten it to an ultra light blonde and then I was careful to dust Bare Essential Mineral Veil (a very light cornstarch type finishing powder) to knock down the shine from my scalp. Virtually every person I knew said it was much better than it had been. I will not hesitate to chop it all off if it happens again. But it was really hard before. Within 3-4 months I had new growth that was over an inch long. I could feel it, but not see it until was longer. But then again, its a med-dark blonde without chemical enhancement.

I guess it depends on you. I work the wig around the house in the early fall when the temps here are still in the low 90's, so it made me hot and itchy. At that point I had worked so hard to learn to write again and walk again that I didn't even care what people thought. I was very lucky to be alive.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Fatfloydfan's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    08/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    07-22-2014 11:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,055 Times
    Blog Entries

Scarfs or headbands? They are in fashion too

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfloydfan View Post
    Scarfs or headbands? They are in fashion too
    Yes, this time I would go that route if I needed to. Love how some girls have these cute piecey hairdoo's with a cute scarf! My face has always been to round to do it, but in reality when I was thin it wasnt. It was honestly my a-hole ex-husband that didnt want me to have short hair!

19. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

I started with scarves...people asked me if I was a "survivor"....some people thought I was Jewish....
    I finally bought one wig...at first I thought I looked like a clown! But, my boarder - an older gentleman - told me I looked, "HOT". Lol! I started wearing it out and got so many compliments! Women were coming up to me asking me where I got my hair done!!! Ive alsways had shitty hair, so this was all new to me!! I was hooked...I have since bought six more wigs but have only worn two of the others out. It takes a few days to get use to each one. Men look at me all the time now...its really strange. They hold doors open for me and everything!!! Ha! I'm loving. I may never go back to my real hair!! I have purchased four online at Vogue.com and three at local beauty supply stores which are a lot cheaper but not as many choices for white girls as at Vogue. Do NOT purchase from WIGBUY...have had a BIG issue with them and it is the only wig that is 100% human hair and was the most expensive. It came from CHINA...totally different color than picture and totally different cut...they are not responding to my inquiries, so I guess I am out that money. I can, however, take it to a salon and have it cut. I have had two others thinned and trimmed at a salon for the price of a haircut.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Shaquayla's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Last Activity
    01-26-2014 07:12 PM
    SUNNY WA AUSTRALIA...NEAR THE BEACH N LOVING IT.
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi guys...Im 52 had my overies removed young and hair thinned.Please take a look at my profile picture..I keep my fringe short..permed..teesed for hight n thickness...I pull my shortish hair into a bob pony high at back of head..and by vlaw grip hair pieces..ponies already curly or straight of ebay to match my colour...I just open the butterfly /claw hair thing clip it high on my head over my little bob pony.Its secure..I bend ovet..play..exercise..feels like my own..so quick n eazy..five minutes to do hair an walk out door..been doing it years..everyone thinks its mine..I bought a couple..black..darkest brown..as my hair fades from hair rinses I use the lighter tone..when I put a black hair rinse in hair I use the black...Hope this helps..Im 5 days pist op and have a copper red funky short wig..I were it out to lunch..my freinds love it so much..we have regular wig luncheons and we all turn up in differant wigs..some look stunning..we have a ball laughing..all the local coffee lounges think its a hoot..as we spend the luncheon trying on each others wigs and taking photo graphs..and to give you all a laugh,one time I dyed my short hair a copper colour,waved it meo farrow style and turned up at the luncheon were all my girlfriends had wigs on.An ovet exhuberant freind walked in late,and laughingly put her tight grip on my hsir and wrnt to pull it of to try my wig on..laugh..it hurt...we laughed so mych that day.So ladies we may become hairless chihuawahs..buts lets have some fun with it..I should start a new page on here.Fun with wigs n hair pieces...lol..might take of..Warmest love to you all,as we share this journey.I dont want to seem insensitive as I know I am quite out going to most people,but I hope this gives you some ideas and a laugh..xxxxooo

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather Rhyne
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Greg Mancini
    Last Activity
    09-22-2015 05:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

If you look at my photo you might not realise how thin my hair is. I have for 15 years styled it on Robert Smiths hair of "The Cure"fame a British band. Also a little like Edward Scissorhands at times. Plenty of wax and hair products to keep it spiked.

But I have a thin part at the back .. Which has always bothered me. My hairdresser said you can get black colour to put on your scalp but I have decided if any more of my hair falls out I will resort to the 4 wigs i have.. One blonde beehive which is fun and two Cher wigs one long black and another long brown. The a two tone bright pink and deep red/brown which is on a hair band ... I have always thought should I lose my hair I will enjoy being a different me every day. Years ago I worked making props for London shops and had a call for a job at the last minute .. I said yes I would go but I was wearing my wig and not about to remove it.. They didn't even realize :-)

Hey maybe we should have a wig week where we change our photos of us all wearing wigs???
    :-) Hev

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Roxanne Heitkamp
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alberto Aceves
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

Your hair stylist can also help with ideas and products.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Sally beauty supply sells this stuff for your scalp to help hide where your thinning. It's like eyeshadow and it comes with a brush and you just rub it on your scalp.

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duke
    Last Activity
    10-06-2014 10:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times

This is my big fear!! I naturally have thin hair so if I think even if I lose a little bit I will need one. I'm hoping if I keep up with my proteins then maybe it won't get that horrible.

31. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast