Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Billings
    Last Activity
    03-09-2014 04:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 126 Times

Default Three Months Out

Friday marked three months post-op so here's some observations I've made and updates on my progress. Long post!!

Weight on 3-7, the day I started the pre-op diet: 288
    Weight on 3-21, surgery day: 272
    Weight this morning: 224

So 64 lbs down in three months, 48 of those post-operatively.

The day of surgery I went in wearing jeans with a 44 relaxed waist without a belt. Yesterday I bought regular fit jeans in a 40" and a 42" belt. My old jeans were falling off of me and the belt (42-44) was getting close to being wrapped halfway around my body. Surgery day I had on a 2X shirt and also fit into 3X. Yesterday I bought two new shirts, both large. I've packed away every shirt larger then an XL and some of those are getting too big.

I've tested a few things I used to like before surgery and found that, for the most part, I don't like them. Two sips of my old fave, Dr. Pepper Cherry and I was done. One sip of a fountain Coke and done. Sweets like cakes and donuts, I don't care for. I like a few of my old cookie brands but I don't crave them. I can eat one a day, every other day and feel fine where before I could eat half the package in one day. I still like Entennman's Crumb Cake but I was content cutting off a 1"x.5" slice once a day. It took me nine days to eat one crumb cake where before I could eat one in two days.

Going out of town is a bit of a production. Gone are the days of just zipping into a fast food place when hungry, grabbing something unhealthy, drinking the soda and leaving. I went out this weekend and had to take three days of protein shakes, bars, and vitamins with me. Now I pay attention to how ubiquitous fast food places are and how bad they are for you. I went to McDonald's on Friday and got a McChicken and small fries, 590 calories. I didn't finish either one due to a combination of getting full and not liking it. I did enjoy the KFC chicken bites on Saturday but that was all I ordered, pure protein and no sides. Planning meals when traveling is a pain since I live by the no drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal rule. I don't know how I'm going to manage the week and a half in Seattle in September for my six month follow up.

Cooking the typical size packages found in the normal store generates a ton of leftovers so I either eat them over the course of several days or I end up throwing out a lot of food, which drives me nuts. When 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of something, or 2 oz of meat, a tablespoon of a side and one or two broccoli florets fills me, even the smallest bit of packaged foods lasts a few meals. I bought a curry chicken and steamed rice from one of the restaurants here and got seven meals out of that. A chicken breast is usually three meals, one hamburger patty is two (though Omaha Steak patties cook down to about 2.35 oz. and I did eat one of those in a sitting), a lb of ground turkey mixed with Rice Sides, Sloppy Joe, or Hamburger Helper is four to five meals, at least. A half gallon of milk lasts two weeks or more. I save a lot of money on food, which is good and throw a lot away, which is not.

Soooo...that's all I can think of to say right now. If you made it this far thank you for reading!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 898 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Three Months Out

Great to hear your progress Michael. Sounds like you are doing well. Congrats on the weight loss

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Michael Smalley's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Billings
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
    Great to hear your progress Michael. Sounds like you are doing well. Congrats on the weight loss
    Thank you, Bilby!

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

It is definitely a learning process. Congrats on the weightloss.

You will figure out how to eat when you travel. I usually go to the supermarket and get some deli meat & cheese. Some salad. There are some youtube vidoes that sleevers posted about how to plan your meals for trips.

It is bit tricky with fast food. You do need to plan a little ahead. I got 2 egg mcmuffin this morning. Ate it for two meals. Ditch some of the bread. And I asked them to skip the butter when they made it. I could have just eaten the ham & egg (even get egg white) but I wanted some carb.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Surgery date
    03/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Billings
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Munchkin View Post
    It is definitely a learning process. Congrats on the weightloss.

You will figure out how to eat when you travel. I usually go to the supermarket and get some deli meat & cheese. Some salad. There are some youtube vidoes that sleevers posted about how to plan your meals for trips.

It is bit tricky with fast food. You do need to plan a little ahead. I got 2 egg mcmuffin this morning. Ate it for two meals. Ditch some of the bread. And I asked them to skip the butter when they made it. I could have just eaten the ham & egg (even get egg white) but I wanted some carb.
    Thank you! I'll look for those videos.

I can always make sure to get a hotel room with a fridge and microwave so that leftovers can last me a few meals. There are plenty of places to get some good, protein-high foods that aren't fast food places.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lyass
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,803 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smalley View Post
    Thank you! I'll look for those videos.

I can always make sure to get a hotel room with a fridge and microwave so that leftovers can last me a few meals. There are plenty of places to get some good, protein-high foods that aren't fast food places.

If you get the hotel with a microwave, go get a few smart ones by weight watchers. These frozen entrees are really good! I especially like the pot roast, though I don't eat much of the potatoes. Usually like 2 bites

1 month post op 04/22/2013 - 232
    6 month post op 09/22/2013 - 176
    ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!! 03/22/2014 - 151

Name
    Jana
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Miro Uchal
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Micheal you have done GREAT!!! I have found Wendy's to be my fast food place of choice I order a Chicken breast on a bed of lettuce with honey mustard. just don't do this at Mickey D's lets just say it's not that good! I am very happy that you are doing so well. Keep up the good work!!!!

Surgery date
    11/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Archer
    Last Activity
    02-24-2014 04:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

Great Job Michael!!! I know where you are coming from... my husband the other day looked at all the left overs in the frig (he has lost 20lb since my surgery) neither of us eat/consume the same qty's anymore and we have ton's of left overs. We now share most meals and still have left overs. I get creative at re-creating meals from left overs - example - steak, left overs become strogenof (from scratch - so I can reduce the qty to match our appetities). Or I buy the pre-cooked chicken and that will become chicken cezars, chicken salad, chicken alfredo and then just the plain old wings and legs are pretty yummy. Sweet potato fries - left overs, I chop up 5 or 6 for breakfast to make a scramble w/the fries, and egg, some onion & cheese (today's breakfast). A big thing with all the left overs is getting out your recipie books or (foodnetwork.com) and learning how to recreate your old food into a new meal - HMMMM maybe I should write a recipie book!!!

Lifetime rules
    Weigh myself daily - to keep thescale from going back up!!
    Use food scale
    Use smaller dishes

BMI: 38.3 Weight: 230 - Heaviest 2009
    BMI: 37.4 Weight: 225 - Pre-Op 11/01/2012
    BMI: 30.8 Weight: 185 - 90 days Post-Op 02/16/2013
    BMI: 28.0 Weight: 168 - 6 months Post-Op 5/17/2013
    BMI: 25.2 Weight: 156 - 11 months Post-Op 10/17/2013
    GOAL is: BMI 25 Weight 155

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr. Michael Hill
    Last Activity
    12-15-2013 08:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Michael, congrats! You are doing great.
    I travel alot and have found my cooler to be my new best friend. I pack plenty of protein (cottage cheese, lean deli meats and low-fat cheese, cooked chicken breasts). I try to follow a "Clean Eating" approach so do not do package foods. Things like homemade hummus and veggies have become a staple.
    Keep up the good work...you are an inspiration to many!

Surgery date
    04/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr. Michael Hill
    Last Activity
    12-15-2013 08:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Lucy61: I'd love to hear about some of your other recipe and left-over ideas!
    Cindy

Gastric Sleeve Member MiMiCeeBee's Avatar
    Name
    Cher
    Surgery date
    03/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ceppa
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your progress. I am also 3 months out. I have lost 40 pounds. I have dropped at least 2 sizes. My tastes have also changed. I don't crave sweets at all. I still can't eat very much in one sitting. My joints feel better. My bladder holds well overnight (my bowels hold for days...TMI?) . I have switched rings to smaller fingers. I do Zumba. I swim. I used to get winded walking but not any more. But I do feel sluggish at times. But over all I am pleased. I miss food. I mean I miss the social aspect of it. I have waiter staff bring me takeout boxes right away. I used to like eating out but not so anymore. Buffets are the worst. I don't get much for the money they cost. And they frown on take out. ; )

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

Well done!! Loved reading your update!

Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Mark Eaton
    Last Activity
    08-29-2014 11:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 350 Times
    Blog Entries

Michael it sounds like you are doing great. I hadn't thought much about traveling but you make some good points. Unfortunately when we travel my husband and I have usually depended on fast food. Guess 's time to stop that "easy way out" thinking and use my brain. Thank you for the inspiration.

Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

Great job, sounds like you are really getting it. It's fun to be a guy -- at 224# we are already in L's! When I traveled I bought a $15 mini-blender from Amazon and I use it to make shakes in my hotel room, plus I go to a nearby grocery store and get frozen entrees and almond milk to help "cook" as usually I get a microwave and fridge in my room at the Courtyards I usually stay in. You are now past the really tough phase so enjoy this!

My only advice is to buy only 1-2 clothing items unless you need them professionally. When I hit L shirts and 36x32 pants I was convinced that I was never going to be smaller than that so I invested in that size. Yup, you guessed it, now I wear M shirts and 34x32 pants so that was just another expensive donation. I don't think I can go any smaller so I'm struggling if this is where I can finally really invest, or should I be afraid of maybe going down a pant size (think I'm OK with the shirts). It is definitely a learning process.

Surgery date
    03/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Billings
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy61 View Post
    Great Job Michael!!! I know where you are coming from... my husband the other day looked at all the left overs in the frig (he has lost 20lb since my surgery) neither of us eat/consume the same qty's anymore and we have ton's of left overs. We now share most meals and still have left overs. I get creative at re-creating meals from left overs - example - steak, left overs become strogenof (from scratch - so I can reduce the qty to match our appetities). Or I buy the pre-cooked chicken and that will become chicken cezars, chicken salad, chicken alfredo and then just the plain old wings and legs are pretty yummy. Sweet potato fries - left overs, I chop up 5 or 6 for breakfast to make a scramble w/the fries, and egg, some onion & cheese (today's breakfast). A big thing with all the left overs is getting out your recipie books or (foodnetwork.com) and learning how to recreate your old food into a new meal - HMMMM maybe I should write a recipie book!!!
    Thank you, Lucy. I've been doing that some as well. If i have a few bits of leftovers that go well together, like chicken, rice, and noodles, I add then to a Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Rice, toss in a scoop of Unjury then simmer the whole thing for awhile so I can get a good bit out of most meals, especially since chicken makes up a lot of my intake.

Kind of jonesing for a hamburger for dinner tonight, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast