Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-09-2014 05:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default It's been a bad few days

Well, I seem to be my own worst enemy. I had a bad weekend (eating wise) I have not had surgery and currently am 415lb on a 6' 3" frame. It's weird becauee I don't or can't see myself at 415lb but the scales do not lie. Anyway, I had a Saturday where I ate about 3,000 calories with a lot of fat. Today I had 2 candy bars. ...what the hell is wrong with me?....I know what needs to be one to lose weight, EAT LESS but I am at a loss as to why I sabotage myself.

Sorry, just venting. I am in the process of going through the required elements to get Sleeved (in the very early stages) I hope to find an ounce of freaking willpower.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It's been a bad few days

I went through it also and there are a bunch of people on the forum who have experienced the same type of food tantrum. I seriously went off the scale bonkers when it came to probably 3 months of last suppers and food funerals, so much so that I made myself ill as a result. One night, from the rubbish I'd shoved down all day, I simply threw up. That marked the end of the stupidity for me mostly.
    From there I moved on where I was a peace with the decision, but what you're currently experiencing will most likely pass in time.
    Do lots of reading and preparation - getting informed can help quell any fears that you may have, but not be aware of.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

Gastric Sleeve Member Eileen123's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Korman
    Last Activity
    01-15-2014 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

It's going to take some time I'm sure. But once you wrap your head around the actual process, like once you start your actual pre op diet, I think by then you'll be a lot stinger then. Because you have to realize that this is major surgery that you ate going to have and you want to lose how ever much weight the surgeon wants you to before the actual surgery. I ate all the way until I started my pre op diet and that was two weeks. I behaved myself on that diet because I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong and it would've been my fault. You'll be alright. Your head has to be ready, before you can follow through with the actions. Good luck!

Highest Weight: 340
    Weight before 2 week pre op diet: 333
    Weight at home on surgery date: 313
    Weight at hospital day of surgery(4/29/13): 317
    1st Goal-(299)6/26/13)
    2nd Goal-(250):
    3rd Goal-(240)(When I was 18-19 year old):
    4th Goal-(199):
    5th Goal-(174-7th Grade):
    Final Goal-(& whatever # below this will be fine-160):

Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Deron Ludwig
    Last Activity
    07-15-2013 01:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

If we were good at managing our eating we would not be getting this surgery... I found the strict liquid protein only diet the easiest to follow .Now introducing food back in is making me crazy and I have trouble figuring out what to eat and when to drink.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sharita
    Surgery date
    03/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Muffazel Lakdawala
    Last Activity
    02-26-2014 02:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the time leading upto surgery is the hardest! Since I had told the world that I was having surgery, all the well wishes wanted to have my " last suppers" with me! Either I was invited out, or they brought home all the foods, candies and cookies I loved.... As a result, I didn't lose any weight pre op, I was on a 7 day pre op liquid diet, I think I ate some forbidden food during that time too! Luckily for me, my liver was not enlarged, and I was lucky that I was not suffering from any of the obesity related ailments, if I was I think I wouldn't have done what I did pre op and would have been more serious. It was only 4 weeks into my post op diet that I fell off the wagon, and literally grazed on small amounts of cakes, candies, cookies all day! In the evening after I tallied up all the calories, I realized that, if I continued to do this, I was definitely going to fail! So I have really taken control of what I put into my mouth! I am continuing with 2 protein shakes a day and 64 ozs of water, with 3 protein packed meals a day, I find myself eating and drinking pretty much all day! But it is all good stuff.... The weight has started to come off again, and I am really enjoying my new found control over my food. Good luck! It's not an easy journey, but if you use the surgery properly, it definitely will take to to your goal! Have faith in yourself!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Thank you all for your support. It is much needed and appreciated. I lost 50lbs last year on the Atkins diet for 2 months...no idea why I stopped and the Dr. who is going to perform my surgery wondered the same thing....lol It seems the low carb, high protein diet is the way to go. I may go back to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sharita
    Surgery date
    03/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Muffazel Lakdawala
    Last Activity
    02-26-2014 02:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

It is what is working for me! I cannot eat much solids yet, so still relying heavily on the protein shakes, soft boiled eggs, laughing cow cheese triangles, and grilled fish or chicken! Veggies are mostly in form of cucumber, marrow, raw papayas, all soft and yummy when boiled up!

Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

We've alll beat ourselves up for the exact same reasons. I think what helped me is that I prepped once...the surgery didn't happen and I was given a new date. Now I have to go thru the pre op diet again.
    I decided to pretty much continue my protein taste testing so have pretty much kept off what I took off before. Have I been perfect? Oh heck no...my weakness is pizza and wings.....the difference is I don't do a whole pizza or 15 wings.
    I will have the "last supper" of those next Tuesday.

I tell people that you can still eat what you want.....you just have to change your mind of what you want. Tell youself that a apple would taste a whole lot better than the candy bar. Repeat as many times as you need to.

Good luck!

Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    01/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Attiles
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 160 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I've heard people call it a food funeral....I had almost a year long funeral and literally had surgery by the skin of my teeth! I had put off my surgery for 6 months and then picked up the ball again...literally...1 week to the date before surgery my primary docs office called and said they wanted to see me when he got wind my surgery was on and he wanted to see me to clear me!!!!! I had started eating what I wanted to that last week! I immediately stopped that and had 4 days to lose....I was about 12 lbs up from my lowest..still down 10 from my highest....he wasn't happy and hemmed and hawed but finally released me that Friday before my Monday surgery. 1/21/13 was surgery....today I am 81 lbs down...71 post op....I left his office and went out to dinner to celebrate.....sick huh? The surgery is a great tool though. Love the resistance. It's made my choices healthier...I strive for protein and fluids first. When you have a tool like the sleeve on your side it makes it so much easier! Good luck !

Gastric Sleeve Member mhardester62's Avatar
    Name
    mary
    Surgery date
    06/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sofranski
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 766 Times

I have been doing the same thing, ugh is all I can say, but I am trying very hard. I just know my liquid is fast approaching and I seem to want to eat it (bad foods) for the last time

Gastric Sleeve Member TrailNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

1. Do yourselves a favor and get a grip on your food addictions now because once you have the surgery, you will need to be pretty disciplined so as not to gain weight once your stomach has begun to stretch around 12 months out. You don't want to waste energy and money and go right back to way you are now and it can happen.

2. The worse thing you can do right before surgery is to gorge yourself. It makes for a very hard transition from 3,000 calories down to 500. Your mind starts playing head games and before you know it, you are regretting ever had the surgery because you feel deprived and weak. If you would have only begun replacing two meals with protein shakes, you wouldn't feel like crap after surgery. It takes time for your body to get used to much lower calorie reserves and by not preparing ahead of time, you are shocking it and causing it great distress.

The people who are most successful (long term) are the ones who prepare for the surgery appropriately by reducing portion sizes, start drinking protein shakes and watching what they eat before the surgery....like a trial to make sure it's even possible to maintain. They also get their addictions under control and start exercising right away. If you cannot do all of this, you might want to rethink your decision to have the surgery because it takes discipline and committment to make a life long change. The surgery is just a tool, not a cure for obesity.

Add me on myfitnesspal.com
    TrailNurse

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Yes, I agree and I will be taking your advice starting tomorrow with a protein drink for breakfast and lunch. I will not let this past weekend be the norm at all. I am NOT saving this money up to have a life changing surgery to not let it do its job with my help. I will suceed and reach my desired weight. Only I have control on what goes in my mouth...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cheryle
    Surgeon
    Dr. Regan
    Last Activity
    06-20-2014 09:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 697 Times

Wow, I thought I was the only one! Yesterday, I had my 4th visit before surgery. My insurance requires 6 visits...so what did I do, GAIN 4lbs in 5 weeks! I am so MAD at myself. I am trying to eat better but Iam alwlays hungry. I was working long hours and eating late and if I was tired, I was buying food out. Thank goodness, my hours changed I can cook dinner and eat it early. I guess I need more protein to kep me fuller longer then maybe I will not want to eat! I will do better this month....I will do a liquid diet if I have to...I will lose this weight and get this surgery. Good luck to you and we will do better.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cheryle
    Surgeon
    Dr. Regan
    Last Activity
    06-20-2014 09:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 697 Times

Glad to read your advice. I will be doing some protein shakes.

Gastric Sleeve Member MomMaestra's Avatar
    Name
    Karen.
    Surgery date
    04/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    02-22-2014 10:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

The high protein, low carb really works on your hunger too. If you do a high protein drink in am and for lunch and a low fat dinner, you will be ready for the liquid fast when it starts. I have been sugar free for 4 weeks (surgery was on the 26th of April) and I feel great! Clear headed and edema is almost non-existent. Once you get it out of your system and replace it with good protein, the cravings will stop. I'm still on liquids and my breakfast shake consists of 70 grams of protein (8oz of skim milk, 4 oz of water, ice, Choc or strawberry Smoothie King Gladiator Protein powder (45g in 2 scoops), Chobani Vanilla yogurt, and 1/2 bannana. It actually turns out to be my bkfst and lunch. So before 1pm I have had my protein for the day and the rest is fluids. No hunger pains at all. And, it tastes great!