Clements
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Reflux anyone?

I'm experiencing some pretty bad reflux...waking up in the middle of the night choking. Any suggestions? I am taking the meds for this prescribed by my doctor. I didn't have this until about 4 weeks out from surgery and it appears to be getting worse.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member christinaja's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    09-22-2013 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Reflux anyone?

Is it acid reflux or just reflux in general? If it is the latter, I would recommend calling your doc ASAP. This could mean that there is something wrong that needs further attention. If it is acid, you might want to see if you can isolate whether or not it is a specific food causing it. What foods have you been cleared to eat, and what, if anything, has been recently reintroduced?

Starting Weight, 1/30/13: 317 pounds
    Day of Surgery, 4/29/13: 310 pounds

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 04:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

I had pretty severe GERD pre-surgery. Dr. Kim also repaired a hiatal hernia during the sleeve surgery 12 days ago and I haven't experienced any problem yet. I was prescribed 2 Pepcid tablets (crushed and dissolved in water of course) per day. I am praying that the GERD is now a thing of the past.

I am lucky enough to have an adjustable bed and sleep with the head slightly elevated. Prior to surgery, having any dairy products late in the evening would cause the acid reflux to be worse.

I agree it would be a good idea to call you doctor to see what he recommends.

Good luck.
    Karen

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Robynn
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    08-03-2014 04:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I had acid reflux from day one, still have it, but have learned a few tricks that help me at least to keep it from getting too bad, especially at night when I am sleeping. I have found that I should never eat within three hours of laying down. A good walk after the evening meal helps things settle a little faster. I never drink anything an hour before going to bed, and prop myself with pillows to keep me on my side. Seems laying on your back is the worst for that sneaky acid to choke you in the middle of the night, it is so horrible, especially if you inhale and it goes in your lungs. My dr put me on the prevacid, but personally it didnt do much for me. When I get it really bad I found Mylanta chewables work well for calming things down. Check with your Dr. but play around with your eating times, it has made a world of difference for me.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member newlife24's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    04/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Clements
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by babypom View Post
    I had acid reflux from day one, still have it, but have learned a few tricks that help me at least to keep it from getting too bad, especially at night when I am sleeping. I have found that I should never eat within three hours of laying down. A good walk after the evening meal helps things settle a little faster. I never drink anything an hour before going to bed, and prop myself with pillows to keep me on my side. Seems laying on your back is the worst for that sneaky acid to choke you in the middle of the night, it is so horrible, especially if you inhale and it goes in your lungs. My dr put me on the prevacid, but personally it didnt do much for me. When I get it really bad I found Mylanta chewables work well for calming things down. Check with your Dr. but play around with your eating times, it has made a world of difference for me.
    Thank you so much! That was very helpful.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents