Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-24-2013 12:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New here! Looking for more information on sleeve for PCOS

Hello,

I am new to the site and hoping to gain some more information the gastric sleeve. Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS, with all the regular symptoms. I take metformin and birth control to regulate my hormones. I've never had a period, and when I did, it was once every 5-8 months in my teens. I've always been an athlete and kept on myself about my diet since I was a kid. I've always, just like any woman with PCOS, had such a hard time to lose weight. I work out, hike, bike to work, and still it's an uphill battle. The insecurities are constant and the weight gain keeps increasing throughout the years. I gain mainly in my stomach, arms, and chest. I've done some research and the gastric sleeve seems to be my last resort. I have pre-diabetes and I don't know where to turn. Can anyone give me more information from personal experience? There seems to be many success stories, but I'm also very nervous for all the obvious reasons. I've done a seminar and sending in my new patient packet... hopefully I can be admitted.

Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Married
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Edward Mun
    Last Activity
    08-16-2014 01:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: New here! Looking for more information on sleeve for PCOS

Hi...
    Im have pcos, diabetes and thyroid problems...I am in Kaiser options nutrition classes right now...I have 3 classes left...
    I need to get my a1c down to an 8 before my surgery can get approved...lots of hoops to jump through right now...
    My ob gyn told me...'you want your health issues to go away? Lose 100 pounds"...so here I am...hoping for the best...

I hope to be sleeved sometime in the summer....

wishing you all the best...
    There is alot of support on this site...everyone is really nice....feel free to post and chat with anyone here!

Gastric Sleeve Member leamarieb's Avatar
    Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    04/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    11-07-2013 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I also have PCOS, and am hypothyroid and diabetic. I had the sleeve last April and was losing weight really, really well (avg 10 lbs/mo), and was able to go off my metformin. But then I ended up on prednisone in August for an unrelated respiratory issue, and my weight loss stopped dead in its tracks. But even with that, I do NOT regret the sleeve at all. I believe it was one of the best things I could have done for myself. I have no doubt that if I had not had the sleeve, the prednisone would have caused a 35-50 lb weight gain (based on prior experience), and instead I held fairly steady and my last A1c was at 5.5. If not for the prednisone, I would probably be down 100 lbs at least by my 1 yr anniversary. It has, at any rate, changed the way I think about food and I am making much healthier choices and cannot eat nearly as much as I used to. All I gotta do is get these darned hormones back in balance, and I'll be on the weight loss train again...
    I may be a SLOW loser, but I'm still a loser!!

Name
    Married
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Edward Mun
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

I hope to get off all my meds and stop all this overeating! I want to be a healthy weight not skinny!
    I hope I don't lose my curves completly!

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

Hi curlyme I'm also in the options classes but you are a few classes ahead of me. I'm going on my fifth class this week. It has really been hard to try to lose this weight and learn what i shouldnt eat. Keep us updated please you are the only other person i found so far on this program. One good thing so far is that they may have found out that my thyrod is not working like it should. I talk to my doc next month about it. I say good thing because i rather know early on then before its to late with anything.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Married
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Edward Mun
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

I just finished class 7/8 last week! Class 9/10 is April 2nd...I can't believe I've gotten this fajr!
    My weight doesn't move much off the scale! I hope the surgeon doesn't yell at me!
    I am low thyroid and have insulin resistance take metformin and glipizide! I'm getting ready for work right now....send me a pm and when I get home this evening I will reply! Omg my cell is acting UUP again Lol sorry for typos

Gastric Sleeve Member chillinlikejello's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Walter Chylsta
    Last Activity
    07-23-2016 12:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18, but I know I had it since puberty. I was always overweight and my periods were never regular on my own and I've been on birth control since age 12. I was sleeved on 12/19 and I have lost 75lbs as of today. I have all of the PCOS symptoms, high testosterone which causes hair growth all over, high cholesterol, acne and thinning hair. Since surgery, my hair has thinned incredibly and I no longer have to shave and pluck every single day. My hair also disappeared off of my chest and belly area, it's not completely gone but it's not coming in really thick anymore. I am working on my cholesterol, and my acne has disappeared. The only problems I am still experiencing are with my period as I had to stop the birth control before surgery and a little after, but I have always had a rough time getting regulated and would bleed for months at a time so heavy that I'd become anemic. I stopped taking metformin (was on 1500mg a day) after surgery but I don't really need it anymore as my sugars are fine. They always said I was pre-diabetic but I have never had a problem with my sugars. My thyroid is doing much better. If you have any other questions or need advice, just let me know and good luck!

10. Said thanks: