Surgeon
    Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    08-11-2013 07:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Handling Stress

So,3 days after my surgery, my little girl got very ill and we have been in and out of the children's hospital since. I'm also in graduate school and on top of everything, my family has thrown us some pretty serious curve balls over the last few weeks. I"m so stressed that I just don't know what to do. I have tried talking to my husband but he's overwhelmed too. I have thought about seeing a counselor but I am already stretched so far right now that adding one more thing seems like too much. Last night i just sat down on my bed, watched TV and ate a bowl of ice cream. (Of course it was about 1/4 of my normal bowl of ice cream and the old me would have had 2.) I just don't know how to cope with everything without food. What are some things y'all do to handle life and stay on track?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

Default Re: Handling Stress

Sorry you are going thru so much right now!!!! Hope it gets better soon!!!! I was just sleeved on 2/1/13 and just started soft foods on Sunday!!! But I guess I will try to stay busy, keep my mind occupied and DEFINITELY NOT bring home those trigger foods that I can NEVER handle (chips & peanuts) Brst of luck to you AND remember we are here for you!!!! Take care!!!!

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Get that unhealthy food out of the house. You have to keep them out of reach and make better choices easier by having safer food on hand. I really feel for you, but food *cannot* be your coping mechanism. The surgery does not fix your life. Only you can. Surgery can't change that Darlin'. We're here for you.
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

When you write it down you can see how absurd turning to food is as a coping mechanism. It's the equivalent of hiding your head under a blanket and pretending you cannot be seen. People and their issues, the health of your child, work/study pressures - all alleviated by ice-cream. Really...? It was such a sure-fire solution the last time you tried it I can see why you did it again - NOT!
    You're a smart girl obviously, so how about you start honouring yourself and getting with the program you elected to take. Sleeve gastrectomy is a BIG deal. Your life and health is a worthy cause and dealing with issues a far better way than trying to hide from them.
    There.... you've been told off, so now you can go and do something that will calm you but not harm you. Like a cup of tea and seeking support from someone you trust and talking your issue through until you come up with the solution that will work for you.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Alvarez
    Last Activity
    04-02-2013 09:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with Luke. Get that unhealthy food out of the house now and do something else to relieve your stress. I'm sure this was addressed before surgery. It can be hard at first especially and it sounds like you are really being put to the test. My heart goes out to you. Find something, anything healthy, that you can do. I started making jewelry after surgery. It occupies my mind and I get to be creative and think about new jewelry designs. I make mostly earrings, but some bracelets and necklaces. Try walking if you aren't already. Get out there to walk even if you feel you don't have time, even if it is a short walk. Breathing fresh air and moving helps so much with stress.It releases seratonin just like eating does. Counseling is a great idea too. You will feel better afterwards because you'll be supported and you'll be able to talk about your feelings, fears...and get them out, not stuffed down with food. Also the counselor can help you explore ways to handle stress without food. You have just taken a huge positive step toward getting healthy. And it isn't so easy like so many people think it is. No matter what, put yourself first. Practise doing that and it will get easier. I got better at handling stress without food, but when I had to have something in my mouth I sucked on sugar free popscicles. Sometimes I would have a whole box at one time. It would take me a long time to eat them, and they are only 15 cal per popsicle so I never had very many calories add up. Many times they were the soothing "food" I needed and that did the trick. Best wishes to you. I hope life gets smoother for you, but life won't change because you can't eat. This is a whole new lifestyle for you and eating as much as you want is no longer a part of it. It will get easier for you with time.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Handling stress is a big problem for many of us and we just ate. NOT GOOD. What I try to do is find something relaxing instead. For me it is a good workout at the YMCA. A warm bubble bath with a good book is what works for my daughter. Even with all the stress in your life you need to find some time to pamper yourself. It is not selfish to take care of yourself. It will only make you a better person and more able to take care of the ones you love.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

Gastric Sleeve Member pieganjane's Avatar
    Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

I am so sorry that you are undergoing all this so soon out of surgery. As best you can take care of yourself and get plenty of sleep.