Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-28-2015 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Stomach Spasms

I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. I am on "soft foods" at least until my next ck up 3/6 but find it's just easier and more comfortable to consume soups....usually chicken soup BROTH (no meat or vegetables) because even this far out I'm still having stomach spasms when I swallow most anything "solid". I don't have any problem swallowing Malt-O-Meal (hot breakfast cereal) or yogurt. No spasms with that. But if I swallow well-chewed chicken or vegetables from the chicken soup - one painful spasm followed by 1 or 2 about 10-15 seconds apart. Any familiarity here? I don't know if this is normal or if there is something wrong. I'm concerned when I go to the dr on 3/6 that if I tell him this, he may KEEP me on soft even longer. Yet, I can't picture a diet of "regular food" if I'm gonna have pain like this with every swallow. Yeah, I'd rather just drink broth.

Another thing, it's hard for me to "feel" what full feels like. I'm assuming it's not what it felt like before surgery when I over-ate. ("I feel like I'm going to pop!"). I have a feeling of (indescribable) discomfort. Not pain, just "discomfort". Does that sound like what you feel?

I can't tell you my current weight because, after the last two weeks of OBSESSING about not seeing continued significant numbers (resulting in depressing), I had to get the scale out of my house. I'll find out on 3/6 how much I've lost.

Thanks, in advance, for your experienced advice.
    Highest Weigh ~305
    Weight, Day of Surgery - 275 Beginning BMI: 45.8
    10 days after surgery - 253.50 (-21.5 lbs)
    102 days after surgery - 215.5 (-59.5)
    149 days after surgery - 198.5 (-76.5) IN THE ONES!!!! Current BMI: 32.5
    10.5 mo. post surgery - 177 (-98 lbs). Current BMI: 29
    16 months post op - 176 (-99 lbs.)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Wendy
    Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. McDonald
    Last Activity
    01-29-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Stomach Spasms

I'm not sure about the spasms, but I can tell you that on soft foods I have yet to feel "full". On the other hand, I am hardly ever "hungry" so I just try to keep to my protein shakes and 2 oz. meals.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

I have a friend who still can't eat chicken after almost 7 years with a sleeve, but he can eat beef and fish just fine. Maybe you could try salmon or maybe tuna?
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Gastric Sleeve Member VGSTHRUMYEYES's Avatar
    Name
    Becca
    Surgery date
    02/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    09-13-2013 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by efh56 View Post
    I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. I am on "soft foods" at least until my next ck up 3/6 but find it's just easier and more comfortable to consume soups....usually chicken soup BROTH (no meat or vegetables) because even this far out I'm still having stomach spasms when I swallow most anything "solid". I don't have any problem swallowing Malt-O-Meal (hot breakfast cereal) or yogurt. No spasms with that. But if I swallow well-chewed chicken or vegetables from the chicken soup - one painful spasm followed by 1 or 2 about 10-15 seconds apart. Any familiarity here? I don't know if this is normal or if there is something wrong. I'm concerned when I go to the dr on 3/6 that if I tell him this, he may KEEP me on soft even longer. Yet, I can't picture a diet of "regular food" if I'm gonna have pain like this with every swallow. Yeah, I'd rather just drink broth.

Another thing, it's hard for me to "feel" what full feels like. I'm assuming it's not what it felt like before surgery when I over-ate. ("I feel like I'm going to pop!"). I have a feeling of (indescribable) discomfort. Not pain, just "discomfort". Does that sound like what you feel?

I can't tell you my current weight because, after the last two weeks of OBSESSING about not seeing continued significant numbers (resulting in depressing), I had to get the scale out of my house. I'll find out on 3/6 how much I've lost.

Thanks, in advance, for your experienced advice.
    I am only almost 3 weeks out, but I know exactly what you're talking about. At my 2wk post-op appt though, I was told I could start eating solids. Some things go down better than others, but EVERYTHING leaves me feeling uncomfortable except coffee. That's the only thing that doesn't make me feel like I swallowed a giant air bubble. For me, "full" feels like a ton of pressure. I am also having a time with heartburn. I had it a little bit before surgery, but it's gotten worse since surgery. I don't know why. I guess I'm going to have to start taking something other than tums for it on a daily basis. But anyway, soup is the next best thing besides coffee for me. The warm smoothness goes down best. However, I did recently discover that bugles (chips) are good for a snack. I can eat about 5-6 & be full. They're light & airy so they don't feel heavy on your new tummy.

Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    01/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Attiles
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 160 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

It feels like I am full up to the back of my throat and I do burp...gross, yeah...... I am really chewing my food well and do try to take awhile eating.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    07-17-2017 11:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Give something like chili made with ground chicken (or turkey) a try; you might find you can handle that. Just don't make it very spicy; the new tummy won't like that....

Avoid the veggies still if they are giving you problems. It is ok. Veggies generally have to be cooked to the point of extreme mushiness at the point you're at to be ok. Definitely avoid noodles & rice.

Just to give you some idea about veggies, my surgeon recommends not even trying raw veggies (e.g., salad) until one is eight months out.

Weight on day of surgery: 318.4 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sam
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    03-17-2014 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

After your surgery, were you given any anti-nausea medication like zofran? I am having the same problem when I try to eat anything solid too. I have found that if I take an anti-nausea pill before I eat I have better luck with the spasms. My spasms have gotten so bad I thought I was going to be sick!

Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bill Rizk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 09:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

What is a stomach spasm? Do you regret having the surgery?