Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Nervous and no support

I am scheduled for surgery with dr almanza and I am deeply nervous about going out of the country. My family is against my surgery but I feel that I so desperately need it. I feel trapped in this body that isn't mine anymore and it has stolen my joy for life. I am ready to feel energetic again.
    I remember a time when I felt alive and spontaneous.....I am eager to feel that way again. From the looks of me now, you can't tell I was ever a professional cheerleader or that I danced in college.
    Am I making the right move and is out of the country a good idea??? I work in healthcare and I have a phd.....yet I am still nervous. Any advice?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member 101kadian's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2015 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nervous and no support

Im sort sorry love to hear that I have my surgery date coming up in 2 weeks and I have not told my family about this the only person knows is my husband and some coworkers. Some of ny co workers are supportive some are not for those who are not I tell them off bit u don't have to it's just my way. I didn't wanted to tell my family for that same reason, but I don't really care at this point im doing this for me I want my life back I want to be happy I want to be healthy and if your family don't want to support you oh well life goes on. Do this for you people opinions don't matter u know what it is I have to face everyday and they wont understand so make the choice and changes for your life. You have all the support u need here.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-24-2016 07:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times
    Blog Entries

I too have no support system. My husband just laughs at me and says i can't do it. I'm also using Dr Almanza for my surgery. I have mine on March 1. Do what's best for you and ignore them. Limit on who you tell do to the non support and keep you're head up and go for it. You know what you need, they don't, you know how you feel, they don't. So smile and keep focused on whats good for you. We are all here anytime you need a ear to listen or advice. Hugzzzzz. My family don't know either because the would react the same way. My husband and kids know and one friend, that's it. So I know exactly how you feel good luck

Name
    James
    Surgery date
    12/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-20-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,543 Times
    Blog Entries

I have always been very vocal about not going out of the country if you can avoid it. I know fiancés are the main reason people head south of the border but any issues and you’re on your own. You will be in a country where they do not speak your language. You will have to travel with discomfort and fi you have issues your insurance will deny coverage because you sought surgery outside of the country.

Many have had a perfect experience but some have not.
    In HIM all can be,

James
    www.jamesknox.net
    "Change is the only thing in life that is guaranteed. So I choose to embrace this change!"
    Friend me on 'My Fitness Pal'

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-30-2015 08:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 108 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,055 Times

I had surgery in Mexico with Almanza and no issues, don't be afraid- they all speak excellent english and there was no discomfort travelling home.
    I had coverage from my doc upon return, but other than checking bloodwork levels she really did not do anything! I took out my own stitches as a nurse.
    Some of us do not have the option of getting surgery in our countries, cost, long waitlists. And complications happen no matter where you are.
    I did what I felt I had to, and 52lbs in 3.5 months is worth it so far Good luck.

Heaviest 2006 297lbs
    Sept 2011 282lbs
    Sept 21/12 start pre-op diet 272lbs
    Sept 26/12 gastric sleeve 263lbs
    Dec 21/12 3 months 222lbs
    March 21/13 6 mon 202lbs
    June 21/13 9 mon 190lbs
    Sept 26/13 YEAR1 186lbs

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I believe from what others have said is that there is the option of paying an additional insurance of a few hundred dollars to some of the surgeons in Mexico which will then cover the costs of needing any additional follow up needed if there are complications. So if you haven't been offered already, ask about it and pay it if it helps you have better peace of mind about travelling out of the country. If your surgeon doesn't offer that - you might decide to shop around and get someone who will provide some kind of follow up if needed.

It's easy for people who have insurance or had the money to say don't go out of the country, but if you feel this is the only way you can get it done, and you want it done, then go ahead - bearing in mind that there is always a risk involved. You just have to work out whether you're prepared to tolerate the risks, weighed up against the likely outcome for you if you don't intervene with your weight.

Gastric Sleeve Member cassandra's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Serquio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-29-2013 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Im going by myself,and really no suport at home.but this is for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member DannyDapper's Avatar
    Name
    Danny
    Surgery date
    12/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-18-2014 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I was considered a higher risk surgery since I was 538lbs, I went to Mexico and had surgery with Dr. Ramos-Kelly. This has been the best decision I have made in my life. I feel like I'm finally in control of myself, couldn't be happier and I'm barely in my 3rd week post-op. The care in Mexico was exceptional! No need to be afraid! I have been hospitalized at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, CA which is one of the best hospitals out here (or so the say) and I didn't get close to the care I got in Tijuana. Don't worry about the language, even the nurses speak english. In regards to the discomfort, I had ZERO discomfort, not kidding you either! At this point your families disapproval doesn't matter, they don't live in your body, this is YOUR decision and only yours! Looking forward to hearing your story as the months go on!

Starting Weight 538 lbs
    Day of Surgery Weight 511 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    tiffany
    Surgery date
    02/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am starting to feel better about it all now. Thank you. I do anesthesia for a living and I am familiar with the operating room and the procedure. However, going under anesthesia is wheat always scares me. I know too much. But I am killing myself anyway. It is such a breath of fresh air to have support. I also cover a GI center and I fear having severe nausea and not being able to retain any food.
    On a good note, the positive outcomes and the changed souls on this blog are sincerely motivating. Thank you.

Name
    Dominique
    Surgery date
    12/27/2012
    Surgeon
    DR FEIZ
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 01:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times
    Blog Entries

Hell, I was here in the states and had great insurance and I still ended up in a subpar after care spot. Im sorry you dont have support in your day to day, but you have support HERE. Im telling you I have never seen people come together and show care and concern like on this site. You have people praying for you, rooting for you and wishing you well. Just decide that YOU are your most important support system, and no matter who or what you will prevail!

When its all said and done you can look back and KNOW that you made the right choice, and those who weren't there for the ride, dont deserve to have fun with you at the destination!

We spend far too much time downing ourselves- Tomorrow is your day to start over- start loving YOU again, start doing things for you.

YOU GOT THIS!!!! We'll be here waiting to hear about how much you are sick of protein shakes and jello! LOL

Many Blessings!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Latwanda
    Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-23-2013 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well you family may not support your decision but they should because you are making a decision to get healthy so that you can live a longer more enjoyable life.. My husband supports my dicision as well as my kids.. they know that i want to get healthy& thinner so that i can do things with them that they also enjoy.
    most of my family supports my decision and the ones that had something negative to say i told them this is MYLIFE...MY DECISION...and i want to live longer & happier... so do what you have to do and get ready for all the compliments when they see the thinner healthier u

Surgery date
    07/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Justin Greenslade
    Last Activity
    04-23-2014 02:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 93 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times
    Blog Entries

Neither my husband nor my mother agreed with my having such permanent surgery but I did this for me, not for them. But they have become very supportive of my weight loss and are incredibly impressed, sometimes my mum will even buy clothes for me while she is out! And she hasn't been able to do that since I was a teenager so that's saying something. I guess what I'm saying is that you have to be comfortable in your own skin and if this is the way to achieve that then I say go for it, I've never looked back despite some rough moments. Ie:vomiting when I've eaten to fast or to much, but this is my own fault not that of the surgery, I had no problems after surgery and things have just continued to improve, I'm no longer diabetic, off all meds for this and I I look normal. GL with your surgery

Name
    Judy
    Surgery date
    04/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Colin MacColl
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

I deleted my own post because it was inappropriate. My apologies to all.

Highest Weight Ever: 306
    Seminar Weight: 300
    Weight to lose until
    surgery is permitted 30

Gastric Sleeve Member Savagels650's Avatar
    Name
    Sheryl
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 347 Times
    Blog Entries

Dear Dreamer25, Congratulations on making up your mind to have this surgery. Even though we are all individuals, we have many things in common as well. We all have pretty much tried all the diets that our pocketbooks could afford, but for one reason or another we are still overweight and watching life pass us by. I have a wonderful family and I know they are concerned about my weight, and frankly I'm certain they all wish I wasn't going to do this. But here's the way I look at it. Food addictions are not much different than tobacco or alcohol addictions. All of the above are capable of killing us and are easily acquired. Now how many of the folks addicted to tobacco or alcohol wouldn't consider taking a chance if there was a magic pill or surgery that would give them back their indepenence? I have had other addictions in my life and I believe in my heart that there is very little difference. My sincerest wish for you is that your surgery goes well and that your husband and family are overjoyed to have you back. Also that your first NSV (non scale victory) will be your husband bragging on what you did. Sorry, I tend to get a bit long-winded. Now I'm done. ttyl, sheryl

Name
    TJ
    Surgery date
    10/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Burpee
    Last Activity
    08-07-2014 10:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

First of all, you can tell whoever isn't supporting you to screw themselves. And I would be scared shitless if I had to go to Mexico. I don't know about anyone else, but I wanna keep my head. I wish you all the luck in the world...from one former athlete to another, I know you're gonna kick some ass!