Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nervous and no support

Tonight I keep second guessing myself. I am ashamed To say that I don't have a lot of self control about the entire issue.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

I was very fortunate that because of some unexpected circumstances, I was able to private-pay and stay in the United States. But I will tell you that if that had not been the case, I most likely would have done the exact same thing that you are doing. Many have had their sleeves in Mexico with great success.
    And don't feel that you have no support.... we are all here for you!

btw-Shannabanana- if my husband laughed at me and told me I couldn't do it, I think I would have to be thinking about whether I wanted to be in a relationship with him. I am sorry that you are experiencing this. You will have the last laugh when you are one skinny hot mama!

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Park
    Last Activity
    01-13-2015 06:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck with everything that really sucks that your family is not being supportive I am sorry to hear that. If you will be happier and healthier I say do it and screw what anyone else has to say! I bet your husband won't be laughing when your turning other men's heads!! As for being in the medical field I almost think it makes this journey scarier because we have seen ourselves what can go wrong so I feel you on that one!
    Starting Weight: 210
    Surgeons goal: 200
    My personal goal before surgery: 195
    Day of surgery: 193. 3/11/2013
    First goal: 170 - 4/22/2013
    Second goal: 150- 6/23/2013
    Third goal: 130
    Final goal:125

Gastric Sleeve Member Enfury8me's Avatar
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Sorry James but I have to disagree with you. I had an issue when I came back and I was treated here in my hometown at the Wound Clinic for that problem even though I had surgery outside the US. They can not deny you treatment if you need it. It doesn't matter where you had the surgery. My insurance here paid for my problem also. My Doctor (Quinones) also spoke very good English along with Henry the patient Liaison and the driver Eddy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Blessed to have had my Sleeve and now the Journey Ensues:
    Highest Weight 2012 - 272 lbs
    Lowest Weight 1999 - 150 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 272 lbs
    Date of surgery - 272 lbs (10/23/12)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    12/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. LaMasters
    Last Activity
    05-08-2013 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand the feeling. I had surgery here in the US but my support is pretty lacking. My husband was with when I had surgery but hadn't paid any attention. He thought I was doing the lap band again, which I found out while waiting for the surgery room to be ready. My youngest daughter isn't sure I did the right thing. My oldest is supportive. My parents are not supportive. My old boss told me that i just needed to take the initiative and exercise. So, it is truly me doing this for me.

Highest Weight - 291 12/18/2012 (Pre-op visit)
    Weight at Surgery - 285 12/27/2012
    Date I reach 245 (weight when lap band was removed 4/2012) -
    Date I reach 225 (lowest weight achieved with lap band) -
    Date I reach onederland -

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member slim_again's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

i think there are ways to syphon out self negative chatter. For me if it's a thought or decision based on fear I have to bombard my thoughts with positivity. People have an easier time selling you things using on fear-based motivation. It sounds like your family is trying to sell you the farm and the shit stuck to the barn door too. I'm sorry you're going through this! Stay strong! When you decide something and it's for a positive outcome rather than fear you know you've made the correct step forward. Sure you have to weigh up the risks as wih every situation but from all the things i've read, there are as many fuck up in our home countries as there are in countries as Mexico. Don't let fear dominate your head.

I'll be going to Dr Quinones on the 19th and booked only last week. I don't want to be hindered by all my negative self chatter & fears, that's partly what's got me here in the first place.
    If ANYTHING happens we live in a country and the very best time historicall when we will receive the best medical care pre/post and during operation. Have faith, look forward to the benefits of your choice to take charge, look great, and be healthy.

Finally, I have chosen not to tell anyone but my OH, who reacted very lovingly and supportingly. When you start loosing weight and eating a certain way you'll find then too that there are sabateurs all around us. You think it's bad now? These lovely little cherubs want to offer you their delicious biscuits and candy, cake and brownies. And if they don't have baked goods to shove in your face they'll tell you you're looking gaunt half way through your journey and not to loose anymore weight. Or maybe they'll tell you all about their failed diet attempts and spell out that special die-t word gifting you with such inspiration. Pay attention to who these people are and why they might be wanting to say negative things to you. You don't need to react to them, their comments are all about who they are rather than anything to do with you. It's REALLY interesting to see who our true supporters are in rough times, food for thought if we ever had a major crisis amongst us!

Ellen Degeneres: "You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    First of all, you can tell whoever isn't supporting you to screw themselves. And I would be scared shitless if I had to go to Mexico. I don't know about anyone else, but I wanna keep my head. I wish you all the luck in the world...from one former athlete to another, I know you're gonna kick some ass!
    Hey TJ - Mexico and the US have pretty much the same firearm related deaths per capita. Mexico does have about four times the murder rate of the US, but then the US has 4-5 times the murder rate of Australia and the UK. Should I be scared shitless to visit the US? :P

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

You've definitely got all of us for your support! I was initially staying in the US and using my former lap-band surgeon to do my revision (self pay then and now). However, the $$ difference was definitely enough to make me research Mexico. I found an incredibly experienced and highly certified surgeon so made the switch. I could afford to stay here, but honestly think I'll get better care from a facility that only does bariatric surgery.

I think we get bogged down in stereotypes about where the surgeon is located and not their experience. And, as a self-pay patient the same arguement about lack of followup care or post surgery issues is the same regardless of where the surgery is done.

Best of luck to you! We're here for you.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

Name
    TJ
    Surgery date
    10/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Burpee
    Last Activity
    08-07-2014 10:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Did I mention firearms? I was referring to my head getting cleaved off by a machete from the drug cartel or getting shook down by their corrupt asshole cops...no need to turn this into some fuckin' gun control lecture saying how great the UK is at not having guns.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Not a gun control lecture (I didn't suggest you should have less guns, now did I?)... The second statement I made involving the UK was about the relative overall murder rate in different countries (including beheading with a meat cleaver no doubt) - nothing to do with firearms. I was just drawing some comparisons about reasons to be fearful or not be fearful. I personally wouldn't feel fearful of coming to the US even though it does have a much greater murder rate than either of the countries I've lived in during my life. Clearly the people on this forum who went from the US to Mexico were able to make the same decision without fear in spite of a difference in murder rate as well. As I understand it, the high murder rate in Mexico is concentrated in some specific regions which are not those where medical tourism is based.

And I wasn't saying the UK is particularly great either - it just happens to have a much lower murder rate than the US. Of course I do see that as a relative advantage, but if we were discussing the quality of beaches or roads, I'd suggest the US probably pips the UK on that one (based on the information I'm aware of - having not travelled to the US to date).