Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Steroids, bronchitis and weight gain?

Well, for weeks and weeks I have had severe bronchitis. I get it every year, but this time it was much worse, and the first round of antibiotics did nothing.

so i went to see a pulmonologist. He diagnosed me with accute asthmatic bronchitis. Gave me a painful shot of steroids, put me on prednisone (steroids) for two weeks, gave me breathing treatments, inhalers, and a new powerful antibiotic.

my question is this...steroids can cause weight gain. i'm not going to be on them forever, but has any one had to take a course of prednisone...if so what was your experience? i finally broke a stall, am not looking forward to another long one

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela Sanchez and Dr. Ismael Cabrera Garcia
    Last Activity
    12-23-2019 03:22 PM
    Live in Northern California; surgery in TJ, Mexico
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 262 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Steroids, bronchitis and weight gain?

It can cause temporary weight gain. Remember to put vick's vapor rub creme on your feet botton and top near the toes (this is where the lungs are in foot reflexology). Hope you feel better soon!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Hope you feel better soon. Just wanted to let you know you might not be absorbing your antibiotics as well as you used to. I was sick with a severe sinus infection from Jan - April, took 4 different antibiotics and nothing worked until I convinced the doc to try a suspension (liquid). Seems the pills were passing through my sleeve too soon and not absorbing enough to work. I considered this might be an issue when none of them made me stomach sick as they used to. Once I started the liquid it hit my stomach hard and worked in 10 days to clear things up.
    Just putting it out there in case you continue to have issues.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2019 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 145 Times in 143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 450 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't been sleeved yet but I can tell you that I have taken the Predeison and yes I put on weight. But What I noticed is that I was eating more during that time. so what I'm saying is. I'm not sure if it like bloat you are if it was the extra cal that I ate. BUt for sure I gainned really fast. Then in a few months I notice my appetite seem to have became normal as I know normal. You have a lot going on with you right now. I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

MARCHING ON TOWARD THE PRIZE.